Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
It seems to me from trying different things, that under 350° or so is too low for thighs. To have a chance at the skin on chicken to be crispy, I have found it must be seared indirectly. The fast and sometimes inconsistant cooking (some areas of the thigh not quite done at the same time) is the fallout. I turn the gas weber on 400° one side of the three burners, thighs on the other side. Dry rub. No smoke because it goes too fast. Some thighs cook up with good skin, some dont. The heat can the be lowered to 200° or so and finish cooking to get every one of the thighs fully cooked. Thighs are forgiving that way, they are hard to overcook. Over any dirct heat will flare up. I will brine and smoke hind quarters, then bone and freeze the extras. 88 cents a pound this week at Fareway in our town. Just throw the skin away. The leftovers are great for chicken salad, stir fry, alfredo. Hindquarter meat doesnt dry out like breast so it freezes very well.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Do you have a foodsaver vac sealer? If so, I'd recommend getting a roll of their expandable bags. I use them for the prime rib roast that I buy up in Wisconsin and take home to my parents' place at Christmas. Might save you from having to slice up the brisket in advance next time; it dies a quick death, so I prefer to slice to order whenever possible.
I do. Will have to look into those. This method has worked very well. Reheat the sealed bags in hot pot of water.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Do you have a foodsaver vac sealer? If so, I'd recommend getting a roll of their expandable bags. I use them for the prime rib roast that I buy up in Wisconsin and take home to my parents' place at Christmas. Might save you from having to slice up the brisket in advance next time; it dies a quick death, so I prefer to slice to order whenever possible.
Never heard of the expandable bags. What do they do? Stretch a little to fill in the air gaps on food that isn't perfectly shaped?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Smoke your wings for 30-60 minutes and then finish in an air fryer as hot as you can get it.

Same theory but I'll smoke for 45-60 and finish mine off on the gas grill. I do the same for bone in pork chops, which are incredible.

Reactions: cstrunk

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’ve always smoked turkey’s on my Weber Smokey Mountain but this was my first crack at one on the pellet smoker. I was really happy with how it turned out. Ribs are going in tonight! View attachment 130399
Have never had the cajones to try smoking a turkey. We host T-giving every year, would like to try it sometime but will have to try a test run at some point prior to the holiday. How long you think it would take for a 20-22lb bird at 225?

Smoking some back ribs tomorrow.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Love smoking a turkey! I will always brine it first. Alton Brown has a good brining recipe. Crispy skin too!!

Reactions: Gonzo

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Have never had the cajones to try smoking a turkey. We host T-giving every year, would like to try it sometime but will have to try a test run at some point prior to the holiday. How long you think it would take for a 20-22lb bird at 225?

15lbs is about as big as you want to go. This one was just under 15lbs and it took just over 4 hours at 275.

• Informative
Reactions: Gonzo

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah that probably wouldn't work for Thanksgiving but still may try it another time just for fun.
I always try to grab a smaller bird or two around thanksgiving when they are on sale. You won’t be disappointed.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I always try to grab a smaller bird or two around thanksgiving when they are on sale. You won’t be disappointed.
You ever done two at a time?

577611f8-5bd3-49e3-b5ba-36ee6240c027_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
15lbs is about as big as you want to go. This one was just under 15lbs and it took just over 4 hours at 275.
I did a 20 lber a couple years ago. Brined and injected. Turned out amazing. But it was a long smoke. Probably every bit of 12 hours. Going to do it for Thanksgiving this year again. Honestly one of my favorite smokes I've ever done.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I did it a couple years ago for Thanksgiving. It turned out fine. The taste was great, but I wasn't thrilled with the color (a charcoal smoker will always run dirtier than a pellet grill or stick burner), and the dairy solids from the butter I basted with left unappealing splotches). If I do a whole bird again, I'll get some ghee butter for the basting. But I'm only cooking for four (including me) at Thanksgiving, so a good sized breast or two is all I really need to feed the family and have some leftovers.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I do. Will have to look into those. This method has worked very well. Reheat the sealed bags in hot pot of water.
I wasn't even considering that (but it's a good idea and I'll have to try it); I was just thinking to save bigger, unsliced chunks to reheat before slicing so it doesn't dry out when reheating.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron