Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I prefer the supreme blend (oak/hickory/cherry) to the competition (maple/hickory/cherry) just because I like the idea of oak over maple. I'm not sure that it makes a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: cstrunk

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Looks solid, looks like you left a think layer of fat on there. Just salt and pepper?
Looks like mustard, salt, and pepper.

I have one (13#) in the fridge for tomorrow with kosher salt and very coarse black pepper. Second one (16#) getting smoked next weekend. Will be doing the charcoal snake smoke with oak chunks on my Weber grill. Will slice, vac, and freeze to serve on the 4th. Do the work now so I can enjoy the festivities.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgronAlum

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
! seperated the point and flat as usual today. Point was done first. Kosher salt and peper. Man was that first bite I tore off good!

Attachments

• 20240615_152722.jpg
    20240615_152722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Have a little work to do tomorrow so don't have the time to tend to the smoker. Instead making balsamic marinated Chuck roast, marinating overnight, throwing them on the grill and searing them over high charcoal heat, then moving to indirect heat with some hickory smoke for 30-40 minutes. Have made this a few other times, has turned out solid.

76268.jpeg

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Good lord, how big is her family? I usually count on getting 20+ servings per butt.

This was for 160 people and I was told they were big eaters. There was also turkey and dressing sandwich which I didn’t really make. I still had a lot of pork left over though.

Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Not quite sure what’s going on with this thing. Put it on at 10:30. Checked on it through the app around 4 and again at 5:30. Woke up around 7 and it hasn’t changed temp since 5:30 and different parts of the brisket are reading wildly different temps (20 degree swings) and it’s not related to thickness. Anywhere from 150ish to 170ish with the probes and double checked with an instant read.

I’m following this recipe from Meat Church. The smoker was at 200 all night and bumped it up to 220 this morning.

IMG_4746.jpeg

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Not quite sure what’s going on with this thing. Put it on at 10:30. Checked on it through the app around 4 and again at 5:30. Woke up around 7 and it hasn’t changed temp since 5:30 and different parts of the brisket are reading wildly different temps (20 degree swings) and it’s not related to thickness. Anywhere from 150ish to 170ish with the probes and double checked with an instant read.

I’m following this recipe from Meat Church. The smoker was at 200 all night and bumped it up to 220 this morning.

It's just stalled, you're fine. Wrap it now if you want or wait til your color is how you want it. I also have a pellet grill but I really don't understand the cooking at 200 and below thing when that's the finish temp. I guess it allows you to sleep in peace when you cook it overnight but it kinda seems like making brisket jerky

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It's just stalled, you're fine. Wrap it now if you want or wait til your color is how you want it. I also have a pellet grill but I really don't understand the cooking at 200 and below thing when that's the finish temp. I guess it allows you to sleep in peace when you cook it overnight but it kinda seems like making brisket jerky

My fear was I just turned it into brisket jerky. The outside feels tough and it isn’t bark. I’ve never cooked anything below 220 before until this plus my grill ran an update before the cook last night and not sure what that did to it.

I guess we’ll just keep trucking on.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
My fear was I just turned it into brisket jerky. The outside feels tough and it isn’t bark. I’ve never cooked anything below 220 before until this plus my grill ran an update before the cook last night and not sure what that did to it.

Throw some butter in your wrap, maybe a little beef broth, I'm sure it'll be good. It's easy to get paranoid with a 50 dollar hunk of meat. Good luck!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
20240616-085643.jpg
20240616-085826.jpg

Charcoal snake ready to roll. Started it up about an hour ago.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Pellet grills produce more smoke at lower temps but still do not produce as much as a stick burner. It's really the one weak point they have. People will run 180-200 for a portion of the cook - To try to get as much smoke as possible from their grill then will turn the heat up to at least 225 or 250 to finish after they wrap.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

If the inside temp is 150-170 you don't have jerky. I ended up with jerky once and it's because it cooked a lot faster than I thought it would and when I checked the internal temp it was around 220. As long as you pull it from the heat once the IT gets to 195-205, wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler to rest for an hour or so you should be fine. Have you wrapped the brisket in peach paper or foil yet?

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Pellet grills produce more smoke at lower temps but still do not produce as much as a stick burner. It's really the one weak point they have. People will run 180-200 for a portion of the cook - To try to get as much smoke as possible from their grill then will turn the heat up to at least 225 or 250 to finish after they wrap.
I understand the concept, I just don't agree with it. I don't think my GMG smokes much more at 180 than 240 so I use a smoke tube on long cooks. There are a lot of people who swear by starting at lower temps so to each their own. I know that cycloner29 does that and his stuff always looks good.

Reactions: cycloner29

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
If the inside temp is 150-170 you don't have jerky. I ended up with jerky once and it's because it cooked a lot faster than I thought it would and when I checked the internal temp it was around 220. As long as you pull it from the heat once the IT gets to 195-205, wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler to rest for an hour or so you should be fine. Have you wrapped the brisket in peach paper or foil yet?

Yeah, I pulled it about an hour ago to wrap in paper. The temps seem to have mostly evened out after it broke through the stall. Ive got about 10 degrees before the middle of the flat hits 203. The bark isn’t what I wanted it to be but we’ll see how it tastes in a few hours.