Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would think some version of the Traeger 3 2 1 would work. Smoke 3 hrs wrap with apple juice for 2 hours and finish for an hour with some sauce.
I smoke pork back ribs pretty regularly and use the same process you mention except I only go for 2-2-1, great results every time.

Reactions: BigTurk

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I need a killer baked Mac and cheese recipe. Who's got one?

There's several decent ones online. I couldn't find the one I used that turned out pretty well.

Tips, pick one with cream cheese, and be careful adding "smoked cheese" to your blend of cheeses. It doubles your smoke flavor, and your crowd might not like it as much...it can get bitter. Adding a little gouda is probably fine, but literal smoked cheddar, maybe not.

Also don't skip the panko crumb topping. And pick some variations on the mac and throw it in your macaroni blend, don't just default to elbows. I really like the cellantani corkscrew pasta for this .... also consider shells, rotini, etc. It can be a mix if you want.

Reactions: exCYtable

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did some chicken thighs the other night. Brined for three hours. Difficult to get the skin crispy though. Added BBQ sauce with lime and hour to go. I should have put the temp to 350-400 just to crisp it up.

A508A819-78F6-40F8-8986-8C63FEF8A10A.jpeg
C826565D-C3A8-4BFD-A921-C48AC825D9BD.jpeg

Reactions: Acylum

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I would think some version of the Traeger 3 2 1 would work. Smoke 3 hrs wrap with apple juice for 2 hours and finish for an hour with some sauce.
I have a Pit Barrel Cooker (and I could use my Weber kettle). I've never done the 321, doesn't sound difficult, but how much apple juice to add?

I appreciate the feedback from y'all.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I do boneless country style ribs the same as any other shoulder cut. The easiest way would be get some smoke in them and transfer them to foil/dutch oven/crock pot/whatever til they're tender. +1 for thinking the 3-2-1 method is way too long. Ribs are usually done in around 5 hours if you don't wrap, so 6 hours total with 2 hours wrapped is waaaaaaay overkill. I'm a fall off the bone guy too.

Reactions: 2020cy and BigTurk

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have a Pit Barrel Cooker (and I could use my Weber kettle). I've never done the 321, doesn't sound difficult, but how much apple juice to add?

I appreciate the feedback from y'all.
After pulling them off I'll have the foil laying out and ready, then I usually give the meat side a good spray, then put the meat side down on the foil so the bone side of the rack is up and add maybe between 1/4 and 1/8 of a cup so it kind of pools up a bit on the bone side of the rack, then wrap the foil over it. Then when wrapped I put them back on the smoker meat side down. You're essentially steaming the ribs during the time they're on there wrapped.

Again, this is using back ribs, so I'm not sure how it would translate to country style.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I need a killer baked Mac and cheese recipe. Who's got one?
This is my go-to. I've never actually followed the recipe strictly, since it's intended to be more of a main course and I'm only looking for a side dish. I just skip the sausage and follow everything else (I'll sometimes play around with tossing in different peppers). Best recommendation on cheeses to use are shredded velveeta or Kraft creamy melt cheddar, along with mozzarella and Swiss.

Reactions: exCYtable

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
off topic
Off topic. While waiting in line at 3am at Snows BBQ, I got into a conversation with a guy and come to find out that this guy's wife is the o e who started heygrillhey. He didn't give a ton of info but pretty much admitted that they could both quit their job based on how popular her YouTube videos are.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Would starching those help?
Yeah, starch will help the skin crisp up on any cut of chicken, especially if you're cooking at higher temps. Not sure how much of a difference starching would make at lower/BBQ temps, though. That's on my to-do list to try out this spring.

Reactions: mkadl

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I do boneless country style ribs the same as any other shoulder cut. The easiest way would be get some smoke in them and transfer them to foil/dutch oven/crock pot/whatever til they're tender. +1 for thinking the 3-2-1 method is way too long. Ribs are usually done in around 5 hours if you don't wrap, so 6 hours total with 2 hours wrapped is waaaaaaay overkill. I'm a fall off the bone guy too.
Do you add liquid if you do them in the crock pot?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you add liquid if you do them in the crock pot?
Yeah, I do. Anytime I've done country style ribs in the crock pot it's been to shred or chop the meat up and use them for street tacos. So I make a Mexican/Spanish style basting sauce, coat the ribs in it, put the ribs in the crock pot, pour 1/2 C to 1 C of chicken broth in, and chop up a yellow onion and put that in. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron