Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
A shop vac is your friend. And a power washer for your grates.

I put foil layers over the drip pan that way I can easily get rid of all the dried stuff. Like @JM4CY a small shop vac is your friend. I mentioned this on here before, as I take your grates to the car wash. Putty knife and non wire brush can also help clean your grates and inside.

Thanks guys, I already have a shop vac and planning to foil my drip pan. Good tip on the power washer and car wash, wouldn't have thought of that. How often would you say you're cleaning your grates like that? I bought a Rec Teq and I see that they just released Teflon drip pan liners that I think I'm going to give a shot as well.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I vacuum out my pellet ash every other cook or so. My Camp Chef Woodwind has an ash pot removal cup so I don't have to open the grill to clean out fire pot before every cook.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Stupid question time - what do y'all do for post-cook grill cleaning? Just got my first pellet grill and am going to fire it up tonight. I'm used to the gasser where I crank it up to high after cooking for 15 minutes then scrape the grates. Everything I've read online indicates that this is a no-go on pellet grills due to grease fires?

Not super particular about keeping it clean, but wanting to avoid one of the moldy nightmares I've seen online when people don't use their smokers for a couple months at a time.
Does a pellet grill need to be burned in like other grills?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Thanks guys, I already have a shop vac and planning to foil my drip pan. Good tip on the power washer and car wash, wouldn't have thought of that. How often would you say you're cleaning your grates like that? I bought a Rec Teq and I see that they just released Teflon drip pan liners that I think I'm going to give a shot as well.
Get some heavy duty foil to line the drip tray. The drip try liners aren't worth it, in my opinion. I shop vac out the inside every 3 cooks or after every long cook.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Stupid question time - what do y'all do for post-cook grill cleaning? Just got my first pellet grill and am going to fire it up tonight. I'm used to the gasser where I crank it up to high after cooking for 15 minutes then scrape the grates. Everything I've read online indicates that this is a no-go on pellet grills due to grease fires?

Not super particular about keeping it clean, but wanting to avoid one of the moldy nightmares I've seen online when people don't use their smokers for a couple months at a time.

As others have said, I use a plastic putty knife and a shop vac. Don’t forget to clean the temp probe every once in awhile. I just use a stainless Brillo pad thing. Too much buildup will throw off the cook temp.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Alright, fellas. Turkey time.

Smoking a 19# one. Current game plan is to brine it for about 18 hours (got a brine with brown sugar bay leaves oranges etc.) then spatchcock it, inject it with butter and seasoning then smoke it at 250. Thinking it will take me about 6 hrs to get it up to 165. What am I doing potentially wrong? Any tips? I’ve done turkey breasts in the past but never a whole bird like this. Might baste it ever hour with butter but I don’t know if that’s necessary or not.
Tips any one?

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I hit mine (and all my grills for that matter) with a grill daddy while the grill is still warm / hot) before and after every cook. No pressure washer or car wash required.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also, when spatchcocked, a turkey will cook much faster. I have a large bird going on and I'm planning on 2.5 hours at 275-325.
Does the skin get crispy in that short of time? I’m planning about 8 hours for a whole 11.5 lb bird.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Does the skin get crispy in that short of time? I’m planning about 8 hours for a whole 11.5 lb bird.
It'll get crispy, especially if you dry brine overnight. Higher temps work better for crisping the skin than lower temps for longer time. Plus, turkey can dry out if cooked low and slow.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wouldn’t that dry out cooking it that long? Also, how long do you let these guys rest? Wondering how long I have if I under/over shoot my mark before I upset the other cooks in the house.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Wouldn’t that dry out cooking it that long? Also, how long do you let these guys rest? Wondering how long I have if I under/over shoot my mark before I upset the other cooks in the house.
If you wrap it in a cooler before carving, it'll stay moist for an hour or two probably. It might compromise the crispy skin though. Could always put in the oven at 160 or 165 (my oven has a "keep warm" feature with temps in this range) once it's done instead.

Reactions: JM4CY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I am wet brining it overnight. I smoked two chicken last week that i wet brined. They were on the smoker for 4 hours and the breasts were at 185. Took them off and let them rest for 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised that they were not dried out. I am going at 35-40 minutes per pound at around 250. Makes for a really long Thanksgiving Day.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm smoking the Turkey. Brine -> Inject -> Rub-> Smoke. I am giving it the business. Going to have to start it at about 3:30a to have it ready for the 1:30p feeding. Any other fools up that early tomorrow?

Does 30 min per pound at 225 sound right to folks here? (21 pound turkey)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm smoking the Turkey. Brine -> Inject -> Rub-> Smoke. I am giving it the business. Going to have to start it at about 3:30a to have it ready for the 1:30p feeding. Any other fools up that early tomorrow?

Does 30 min per pound at 225 sound right to folks here? (21 pound turkey)

Feels like it won’t take that long. I’m gonna budget 5 hours for 16 lber. On the pit at 6am, off at 11, rest, and eat around noon. Thought I had a 19 lber but like everything in my life, my meat wasn’t quite as big as I thought it was.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The video says 10 min per pound versus what that article says…. What the hell do I trust?!?!?
The article I posted was for a intact bird, Not a spatchcocked bird. I know spatchcocking allows it to cook faster so maybe it is even faster than I thought. He also said he was doing it at 275 and you are talking about 250.
Malcom Reed says to smoke a turkey at 275-300 so maybe bump your temp up to 275 and go by the 10 minutes per pounds as suggested in that other video

Reactions: JM4CY