Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Ribs were finally at a decent price at HyVee in Ankeny yesterday. Too busy this weekend, otherwise I would have been all over it.

• Informative
Reactions: discydisc

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Anyone smoke a turkey spatchcocked? Some recipes have 400 then lower to 200 to smoke some the opposite. Seems like finishing at 400 would producer crispier skin.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Anyone smoke a turkey spatchcocked? Some recipes have 400 then lower to 200 to smoke some the opposite. Seems like finishing at 400 would producer crispier skin.
Seems like most of the time when I see a spatchcock recipe, they blitz through it at 350-375 for the entire cook.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Anyone have any soup recipes for leftover BBQ?
Brisket chili is an obvious go-to. I've never tried using smoked chicken before, but I do make some bomb chicken noodle soup using grilled rotisserie chicken.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone got a YouTube video that’s essentially smoking brisket for dummies?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Is that a dry or wet brine?
It's the wet brine with the vegetable stock, allspice berries, and black peppercorn. I've used it religiously on turkey the last few years. I got a couple of the Tyson whole chickens for $1.24/lb at Walmart. Hy-Vee had them on sale for $1.19/lb. Didn't want to drive back to Hy-Vee so I got them at Walmart. Saw today in the Hy-Vee ad they had them for $1.98/lb. Bird flu trickle down effect must be starting again.

Reactions: clone4life82

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Alright, fellas. Turkey time.

Smoking a 19# one. Current game plan is to brine it for about 18 hours (got a brine with brown sugar bay leaves oranges etc.) then spatchcock it, inject it with butter and seasoning then smoke it at 250. Thinking it will take me about 6 hrs to get it up to 165. What am I doing potentially wrong? Any tips? I’ve done turkey breasts in the past but never a whole bird like this. Might baste it ever hour with butter but I don’t know if that’s necessary or not.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Alright, fellas. Turkey time.

Smoking a 19# one. Current game plan is to brine it for about 18 hours (got a brine with brown sugar bay leaves oranges etc.) then spatchcock it, inject it with butter and seasoning then smoke it at 250. Thinking it will take me about 6 hrs to get it up to 165. What am I doing potentially wrong? Any tips? I’ve done turkey breasts in the past but never a whole bird like this. Might baste it ever hour with butter but I don’t know if that’s necessary or not.

I tried using Mayo on the exterior of the turkey last year to crisp it up and it seemed to work pretty well. Not sure about the rest of it.

I’ve been volentold I’m cooking hibachi (shrimp, chicken, fried rice, etc.) on my FILs new BlackStone on Thursday which should be fun. Found out today they’re actually setting up the tables like I’m a ******* real hibachi chef. **** me… Lol. I gotta find out how to do the onion volcano.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Stupid question time - what do y'all do for post-cook grill cleaning? Just got my first pellet grill and am going to fire it up tonight. I'm used to the gasser where I crank it up to high after cooking for 15 minutes then scrape the grates. Everything I've read online indicates that this is a no-go on pellet grills due to grease fires?

Not super particular about keeping it clean, but wanting to avoid one of the moldy nightmares I've seen online when people don't use their smokers for a couple months at a time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Stupid question time - what do y'all do for post-cook grill cleaning? Just got my first pellet grill and am going to fire it up tonight. I'm used to the gasser where I crank it up to high after cooking for 15 minutes then scrape the grates. Everything I've read online indicates that this is a no-go on pellet grills due to grease fires?

Not super particular about keeping it clean, but wanting to avoid one of the moldy nightmares I've seen online when people don't use their smokers for a couple months at a time.
A shop vac is your friend. And a power washer for your grates.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I put foil layers over the drip pan that way I can easily get rid of all the dried stuff. Like @JM4CY a small shop vac is your friend. I mentioned this on here before, as I take your grates to the car wash. Putty knife and non wire brush can also help clean your grates and inside.