Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I've never smoked a turkey but we host Thanksgiving every year and oven roast. Absolutely brine for 24 hours, I've switched to dry brining. And I do add a sh*tload of compound butter pats under the skin, I just don't know if that translates to smoking instead of oven roasting.
Butter under the skin should translate fine to a smoker just fine, I would think. I'm more concerned about how it would pair with a brined bird. I'm for sure gonna brine; I just want to be sure that also using butter won't lead to the skin not getting crisp or something like that before I do it. I would test it out, but I can only afford so many turkey breasts to control for the variables I would want to test.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Butter under the skin should translate fine to a smoker just fine, I would think. I'm more concerned about how it would pair with a brined bird. I'm for sure gonna brine; I just want to be sure that also using butter won't lead to the skin not getting crisp or something like that before I do it. I would test it out, but I can only afford so many turkey breasts to control for the variables I would want to test.
I smoked a turkey last year and had a 2 hour drive to get to our family thanksgiving. When I got their I figured it would be soggy, which it was. I made room in the oven and put it in with the dressing. 10 minutes later had crisp skin.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Trying something different today. Took a 5 lb roast out of the freezer, unwrapped it, spritzed with water and applied S/P and put directly on the smoker at 150. Will leave at that temp for 1.5 hours, then to 225 for however log it take to get to 200 IT. Going to try and save some of the drippings for gravy.

• Optimistic
Reactions: arobb

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I was able to grab some chicken wings on sale. Any recommendations on how they cook/smoke them? I prefer dry rub wings because the rest of the family doesn't like buffalo sauce.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was able to grab some chicken wings on sale. Any recommendations on how they cook/smoke them? I prefer dry rub wings because the rest of the family doesn't like buffalo sauce.
When I smoke wings I pat them very dry, then apply a dry rub, put on the smoker at around 200 (tops) for two hours, pull them off and sauce them, add more wood and kick the heat up to 400ish, put wings back on for another 30-40 minutes. I don't like it when wings are too saucy, so doing it this way bakes the sauce in so it has a more dry, tacky/sticky texture. I make my own sauce with Frank's, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, honey, melted butter.

Reactions: AgronAlum

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Cookie’s All purpose seasoning is a great dry rub. Cook wings at 250. Approximately 45 minutes each side. Then apply Countryside BBQ sauce on one side. Until sauce thickens. Have GMG pellet. Consistently excellent. IMO Countryside BBQ is about the best there is. Good stuff.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
When I smoke wings I pat them very dry, then apply a dry rub, put on the smoker at around 200 (tops) for two hours, pull them off and sauce them, add more wood and kick the heat up to 400ish, put wings back on for another 30-40 minutes. I don't like it when wings are too saucy, so doing it this way bakes the sauce in so it has a more dry, tacky/sticky texture. I make my own sauce with Frank's, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, honey, melted butter.

This is how I do mine and people rave about them. I put them on 185 for about an hour and 45 minutes. Crank the pellet smoker up to high and leave them on for about 20 minutes or until they’ve got some crispness.

I do typically sauce them after pulling though because everyone usually wants something different.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Buffalo is my go-to wing, but this is a really good lemon pepper wing recipe (https://www.dixiechikcooks.com/smoked-lemon-pepper-wings/). I just use the marinade/wet rub and cook them using whatever method suits my mood. You can’t go wrong with the Vortex if you’re using charcoal. Gets you crispy wings in quick batches, and you can put wood chunks in there to get some smoke, as well.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Recently divorced, don't have room for my bay anymore. Traeger for a good home, built back before the company was sold, so solid parts. Control board needs replaced but all parrts, including new heating element included.

$200. Helluva deal, I'm gonna miss this guy dearly. I'll be in DSM Saturday.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Pretty similar to how I roll as well.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Anyone have any soup recipes for leftover BBQ?
If it's pork, we just made the recipe below this week with leftover pulled pork and it was solid.

Reactions: discydisc