Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The safe word with BF and I is ….. Punt.

Anyone ever grilled a chuck roast? Looking for something that'll feed a group of 15+, don't have the time to devote to a full smoke, was thinking of throwing a few or three onto the grill, sear on both sides, and move to indirect heat to cook through. If anyone has done this would appreciate advice, TIA.
Here’s something that’s low work & a crowd pleaser: thin cut rib eye steaks- put on grill or smoker for a few minutes on both sides to get the smoke and browning. Then put in a crock pot with a packet of McCormicks or any other brand roast seasoning/au jue mix and simmer. Serve on brat size buns with drippings. The smoke flavor & rib eye marbling makes an awesome sandwich.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

Anyone ever grilled a chuck roast? Looking for something that'll feed a group of 15+, don't have the time to devote to a full smoke, was thinking of throwing a few or three onto the grill, sear on both sides, and move to indirect heat to cook through. If anyone has done this would appreciate advice, TIA.
Smoke it like a brisket. It'll be good.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I've smoked chuck roasts before, I just don't have time for a 10 hour smoke this time around.

I feel like I’ve done it in the past and liked it. Cut it into steaks and grill like you would a ribeye. Similar marbling with a different/cheaper cut. Chuck eye steaks are considered the poor man’s ribeye but most people won’t notice the difference if cooked right.

We just don’t eat a lot of beef outside of hamburger with todays prices.

Side note - is the BF thing a bet from the game on Saturday?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I feel like I’ve done it in the past and liked it. Cut it into steaks and grill like you would a ribeye. Similar marbling with a different/cheaper cut. Chuck eye steaks are considered the poor man’s ribeye but most people won’t notice the difference if cooked right.

We just don’t eat a lot of beef outside of hamburger with todays prices.

Side note - is the BF thing a bet from the game on Saturday?

I'm thinking of keeping the roasts whole, searing them on both sides, then moving to indirect heat for 45ish minutes, then after resting, slicing similar to brisket or flank steak. I don't have the grate space to cook 15+ steaks.

Yeah, had a bet with @keepngoal so he got to pick my av and an opening line on every post. Fun stuff...

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I'm thinking of keeping the roasts whole, searing them on both sides, then moving to indirect heat for 45ish minutes, then after resting, slicing similar to brisket or flank steak. I don't have the grate space to cook 15+ steaks.

Yeah, had a bet with @keepngoal so he got to pick my av and an opening line on every post. Fun stuff...

I can’t see anything wrong with your plan as long as everyone is ok with steaks at the same temp. You may want to leave it open to finish the steaks after cutting (similar to prime rib) to the desired doneness.

Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can’t see anything wrong with your plan as long as everyone is ok with steaks at the same temp. You may want to leave it open to finish the steaks after cutting (similar to prime rib) to the desired doneness.

Yeah I think I'm going to do 3 chuck roasts and have one of them more done, I know the FIL and a few others like theirs well done.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Got a pressure cooker? Smoke it for like an hour for the flavor then pressure cook it the rest of the way. Probably only 2-3 hra for a big chuck

Reactions: Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Going to put four pork shoulders in the smoker this afternoon. 2 racks of ribs will go in on Saturday morning. Going to take them to about 3-4 hours will cut them. Going to deep fry them at our tailgate. Have a 22 lb brisket to cook and vac seal for my mom on Sunday. Smoker will be busy this the next few days.

I did deep fried ribs last year and got rave revues on them. I am planning on making Monte Cristos for the game. One of my favorite breakfast items!

Anyone just use salt on pork shoulder when smoking it? I am intrigued after reading about how they do kaula pork for luauas. I get the how they cook it, but I guess they just use hawaiian salt on it after it is cooked and nothing else. I guess it gets a lot of flavor from the banana leaves they wrap the pig in (not that banana leaves are plentiful here in Iowa) but Amazon does. Imagine that.

Reactions: clone4life82

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
12 hours at 225 and just like butter when I probed with my Thermopen. Glad I decided to wake up at 4 am to check the temp. Wrapped in foil and in a cooler with a towel they went. IT was around 198.

View attachment 104010
giphy.gif

• Winner
Reactions: cycloner29

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've been wanting to try some of these. How'd they taste? They look amazing.
Personally, I think they taste incredible. One guy I work with called it the greatest meat he had ever eaten.

Cook it like a brisket, take it up to about 150 and wrap until 200. Then stick it in a cooler and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
If you shove a towel in the cooler they will stay hot for quite a while. I've only done it with hickory.

Be careful when you open the foil. There is a lot of moisture in there due to the fats and collagens breaking down. I'm still trying to figure out something to do with all that liquid. It should make a great au jus on it's own. I might try separating the fat from the rest and use it to make BBQ sauce. Substitute that liquid for the water.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and the guy who my family has been buying smoked turkey from for the last 20 years has retired, so now I'm in charge of cooking the entire meal (I was already making the mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and dressing/stuffing). Has anyone smoked a whole turkey before? I'm looking at brining it overnight, but I've also seen people rub in some compound butter under the skin. Is it good to do both, or are both methods just a way to add/retain moisture, and doing both would be too much? And do you bother with trussing the bird, or do you not worry about it?

As far as cooking method, I'm good with leaving it whole as opposed to spatchcocking it; I'm not sure I could fit a spatchcocked turkey in my WSM, anyway. And I've got a couple rubs that I've narrowed it down to, but I think I'm going to buy a couple breasts soon to test them out and see which one I like better (and have sandwich meat for weeks).

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and the guy who my family has been buying smoked turkey from for the last 20 years has retired, so now I'm in charge of cooking the entire meal (I was already making the mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and dressing/stuffing). Has anyone smoked a whole turkey before? I'm looking at brining it overnight, but I've also seen people rub in some compound butter under the skin. Is it good to do both, or are both methods just a way to add/retain moisture, and doing both would be too much? And do you bother with trussing the bird, or do you not worry about it?

As far as cooking method, I'm good with leaving it whole as opposed to spatchcocking it; I'm not sure I could fit a spatchcocked turkey in my WSM, anyway. And I've got a couple rubs that I've narrowed it down to, but I think I'm going to buy a couple breasts soon to test them out and see which one I like better (and have sandwich meat for weeks).
I would still spatchcock it and brine it personally. My smoker is roughly 18"x26". WSM is 22.5" so I would think it would be OK.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I've never smoked a turkey but we host Thanksgiving every year and oven roast. Absolutely brine for 24 hours, I've switched to dry brining. And I do add a sh*tload of compound butter pats under the skin, I just don't know if that translates to smoking instead of oven roasting.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010

I was just watching a couple of Thanksgiving videos from Chuds BBQ on YouTube. Personally, I am not a turkey guy, but this year I kinda want to smoke a turkey just for the sake of doing it. If I do, I will most likely spatchcock the bird, dry brine it at least overnight to dry out the skin, and then use compound butter underneath the skin.

Reactions: nj344170

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron