Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Uh oh!!! Getting some smoke backfeed through the auger. GMG support says it is caused by an air leak. We shall see. Currently have it all tore apart. Cleaned the auger lots of burnt on residue towards the end of it. No wear on the pin that attaches it to the motor. Lots of squeaks and squeals during my last cook yesterday in the auger housing. We shall how things work out. Hope some high temp gasket seal will take care of it.

3E73FFFA-80BB-4E9C-BC03-5073B8F8754A.jpeg

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Any pit barrell users here? Going to try baby back this week. Any tips?
I don't have a pit barrel cooker, just a Weber Smokey Mountain. But I do know PBCs tend to run hotter than similarly sized WSMs, so I would definitely recommend keeping a close eye on them if it's your first time using the cooker or the first time cooking a new cut in it. Check every hour; it'll probably lead to an imperfect cook this time, but it's best to rip that band-aid off and get a feel for the cooker as fast as you can, and your results will probably be perfectly fine for backyard eating, anyway.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I don't have a pit barrel cooker, just a Weber Smokey Mountain. But I do know PBCs tend to run hotter than similarly sized WSMs, so I would definitely recommend keeping a close eye on them if it's your first time using the cooker or the first time cooking a new cut in it. Check every hour; it'll probably lead to an imperfect cook this time, but it's best to rip that band-aid off and get a feel for the cooker as fast as you can, and your results will probably be perfectly fine for backyard eating, anyway.
Got a couple racks on right now. Used olive oil and a medium coat of rub. What temp do you like to pull? 200? Do you like dry or should I pull early and slap some bbq then finish?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Got a couple racks on right now. Used olive oil and a medium coat of rub. What temp do you like to pull? 200? Do you like dry or should I pull early and slap some bbq then finish?
You talking pork back ribs? I never use a thermometer, I go more by the bend and how much the ribs have pulled back at the edge exposing the tips of the bone. Yes, the jokes write themselves. You using 2-2-1 method?

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Baby back pork ribs. I had to Google 2-2-1, lol! Nope. Just snagged some at sam's club on sale. And hung em in the pit barrell

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Baby back pork ribs. I had to Google 2-2-1, lol! Nope. Just snagged some at sam's club on sale. And hung em in the pit barrell
Got it. I've never used a pit barrell, I have a big charcoal grill that I rig up for smoking via indirect heat. So not sure if 2-2-1 applies or what would be best.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I pull at 202 or so. I use the bend test and/or bone pullback to tell me when to stick the thermapen in it. As far whether to sauce or not sauce, that's all personal preference. I've done either on plenty of occasions, though my general preference is dry rub with sauce on the side.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Gonna throw a couple boston butts on here soon. What are your guys top secrets to pork butts?

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Any pit barrell users here? Going to try baby back this week. Any tips?

I have a PBC. I wish I would use it more but when I do use it I love it. I've made brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, turkey, ratatoullie (awesome btw), and don't remember what else. How did it go?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Whats everyone using for rubs? I am really starting to like the simple texas style salt and pepper on everything. Smoked some chicken hind quarters with just salt and pepper this week and they were really good. Might make that my go to, then finish with different glazes if I want more BBQ flavor.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Whats everyone using for rubs? I am really starting to like the simple texas style salt and pepper on everything. Smoked some chicken hind quarters with just salt and pepper this week and they were really good. Might make that my go to, then finish with different glazes if I want more BBQ flavor.

Did a brisket this past weekend with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and a touch of brown sugar and it was awesome.

Also just watched a video on YouTube last night how most Texas restaurants use more than just salt and black pepper even though that’s what they say they use