Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

viking63

Aug 28, 2010
WDM, Iowa
Just purchased first pellet smoker to replace my 10 year old Masterbuilt propane unit. Hard to say goodbye. Prepared some good Q on that thing. Alas, it was time to move on. Going to test it out on the 4th. Whole chicken (maybe my favorite of all Q), Pork loin and brauts. Will probably throw some beans in as well.

Here is new unit:

1656789569799.jpeg

Happy 4th to all. 'Merica f*&#K yeah!

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Just purchased first pellet smoker to replace my 10 year old Masterbuilt propane unit. Hard to say goodbye. Prepared some good Q on that thing. Alas, it was time to move on. Going to test it out on the 4th. Whole chicken (maybe my favorite of all Q), Pork loin and brauts. Will probably throw some beans in as well.

Here is new unit:

View attachment 100342

Didn’t know there were vertical pellet smokers. That looks nice.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Here is new unit:

View attachment 100342

Check your users manual, you will most likely need to season that before you do your first cook.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Me either. Thing looks pretty badass.

In my limited experience with them, they throw off a lot more smoke than a traditional style pellet grill. They don’t have the wide temp range though.

Some days I wish I would have bought one instead of my pellet grill since we have the Weber gasser. I just don’t want to tell my wife she was right. She wanted one of those when we were picking them out since they’re cheaper.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Hello all,

I have been following the site for a few years and decided to make an account to pick your brains. I have seen a bunch of posters call others out for not putting threads in the correct forum, so I put this in off-topic.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what kind of smoker to get for a first time user? I love the taste of smoked meat and wanted to purchase one and give it a shot. From what I have seen online a good one for a beginner is a Weber Smokey Mountain 18'. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
I am late to the conversation, but I would stay away from cigarette or weed smokers. They ruined the taste of my smoked meat.

viking63

Aug 28, 2010
WDM, Iowa
Me either. Thing looks pretty badass.
Haven't used yet but this things seems quite badass based on my experience during assembly. Topped the scale at 200+ pounds shipping weight. Unit is double walled. Front door is "heavy" and gasketed. Previous Masterbuilt (cheap) was like tinfoil in comparison.

Regarding temperature range, specs say 150 to 425 F. We'll see. If true the 150 is perfect for my jerky recipe.

Based on what I read prior to purchase, these units supposedly generate more smoke than typical horizontally oriented pellet grills.

Yes, seasoning, prior to first smoke, is recommended.

Man, I am drooling over my keyboard just thinking of what deliciousness yet await me.

Reactions: cstrunk and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How’s Yoder compared to Traeger? I like my Traeger but it’s got flaws. I also bought it used so I knew it have baggage. I wouldn’t of been able to afford it if it wasn’t used though.

So basically I like my grills like I like my women.

Used and broke in? ;) :)

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Question for the Traeger folks.

Looking at taking the dive in an trying to decide between the Pro 22 and the Pro 575. Is it worth it to drop the extra $250 for the 575? Looks like the 575 gets a little hotter (450vs500) and has the built in wifi connectivity. Not sure if that's worth the extra $ or not. Plus the 575 is the newer model.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Looking at taking the dive in an trying to decide between the Pro 22 and the Pro 575. Is it worth it to drop the extra $250 for the 575? Looks like the 575 gets a little hotter (450vs500) and has the built in wifi connectivity. Not sure if that's worth the extra $ or not. Plus the 575 is the newer model.
I've not owned either, but my gut says you should only go with the 575 if you're sure you've got reliable WiFi wherever you're putting the grill. The extra 250 is basically paying for the WiFire; the grills should be basically identical in every other way. If you're not sure of the WiFi reliability, go with the 22 rather than risk paying $250 for a feature that's rendered useless to you. Get yourself a set of GrillGrates and you can get a quality sear without the grill getting to 500+, anyway.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

How serious of a smoker are you? I would say no. I have one without it and I’m more than happy. You can by thermometers giving you the IT to your phone if you want it later.

Reactions: tm3308

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas

Here is new unit:

View attachment 100342

Nice! I have a Pit Boss in that style and really like it so far

viking63

Aug 28, 2010
WDM, Iowa
Got smoker fired up. First smoke on new unit.

What's everyone else smoking today? Got whole chicken, pork loin, brauts and beans going.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Fired up the kettle last night and cooked some *thick* porterhouses. Both were about 2.5 pounds, and the board sauce recipe (gotten from a Weber cookbook) is fantastic. Should have fired up my buddy's Traeger to finish them after getting the grill marks (my charcoal grill isn't big enough to have moved those steaks to indirect heat and still have room to cook the zucchini slices), but they were still damn good. SPJ Board sauce porterhouse 070922 006 ttm copy.jpg SPJ Board sauce porterhouse 070922 007 ttm copy.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron