ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
gJoRGmX.jpg

gj524

Aug 10, 2018
I'm interested in getting a wireless thermometer for my Weber kettle. I've seen a couple recommendations on here for the thermopro TP20 but I'm also intrigued by the TP25 which is about the same price.

The extra probes and app functionality with my phone instead of a receiver seem handy but I'm unsure how well the Bluetooth actually works.

Has anyone tried it or tried both?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't know about Thermopro specifically, as I've never used them.

But I advise against the phone-based ones. At least when I smoke, I like to be able to have the receiver with me at all times. If I'm in the kitchen, put it on the fridge. Keep it in my pocket if I'm mowing, etc. Quick glance is all it takes.

Pulling out the phone is an added step. I understand there's alarms and all that, but I just like to know the pit temp and meat temp in a split second.

I am a huge fan of Thermoworks stuff, and have their Smoke X4, among other things. It's a lot more money than you're talking, though. But it can also control a fan (which is another added cost). I got my dad one for Christmas last year (Smoke X2) and it literally has a quarter mile range. He's been all over their property, inside buildings, and never has any range issues. I personally don't believe the marketing on the Thermopro site. I know Bluetooth 5.0 is a better protocol, but I've always had a better experience with actual RF stuff.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm interested in getting a wireless thermometer for my Weber kettle. I've seen a couple recommendations on here for the thermopro TP20 but I'm also intrigued by the TP25 which is about the same price.

The extra probes and app functionality with my phone instead of a receiver seem handy but I'm unsure how well the Bluetooth actually works.

Has anyone tried it or tried both?

I just picked up the TP20 and it works great. I agree with @NickTheGreat on the phone/app setup. I don't find it particularly useful especially since my smoker requires manual adjustments.

Reactions: gj524

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't know about Thermopro specifically, as I've never used them.

But I advise against the phone-based ones. At least when I smoke, I like to be able to have the receiver with me at all times. If I'm in the kitchen, put it on the fridge. Keep it in my pocket if I'm mowing, etc. Quick glance is all it takes.

Pulling out the phone is an added step. I understand there's alarms and all that, but I just like to know the pit temp and meat temp in a split second.

I am a huge fan of Thermoworks stuff, and have their Smoke X4, among other things. It's a lot more money than you're talking, though. But it can also control a fan (which is another added cost). I got my dad one for Christmas last year (Smoke X2) and it literally has a quarter mile range. He's been all over their property, inside buildings, and never has any range issues. I personally don't believe the marketing on the Thermopro site. I know Bluetooth 5.0 is a better protocol, but I've always had a better experience with actual RF stuff.

I'm the same way. I've owned quite a few thermometers over the years. Always went for the bargain, because Thermoworks seemed so much more expensive. I finally just did the sensible thing and spent the money. If I'd have just done that from the get go, I would have actually saved. I almost spent more on bargain therms as I would have to just buy the Smoke right off the bat. And eventually would have spent more if I wouldn't have bit the bullet.

I never have owned a Thermopro either, but have tried just about everything else and they all seem to fail one way or another in about a year or two. I think I'm on 4 or 5 years now with the original Smoke Alarm and I haven't even had to change the batteries in it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thermoworks for anything temp related. Their stuff is excellent. I have the Thermapen and the thing is easy to use, convenient, fast, and accurate. I even use it in the house to check oil temp if I'm going to deep fry something . I think it even gets an accurate reading if you just opened it up and took the ambient temp.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Thermoworks for anything temp related. Their stuff is excellent. I have the Thermapen and the thing is easy to use, convenient, fast, and accurate. I even use it in the house to check oil temp if I'm going to deep fry something . I think it even gets an accurate reading if you just opened it up and took the ambient temp.
I use a cheap infrared thermometer for oil and liquids, it works great. Perfect for checking the Blackstone temperature too. They're a pretty cool tool for 20 bucks.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I love my TP20. I have had it for at least 3 years and it's been flawless. The range is perfect anywhere in my house.

I've toyed with getting the Thermoworks "smoke" for the advantage of being completely wireless and knowing what's going on with the smoker if I happen to need to leave the house for a time. However I've never been able to justify the cost vs that small benefit.

I would absolutely love to have 4 probes instead of 2 probes, though. Usually I'm smoking at least 2 different types of meat, so it would be nice to have at least one more meat probe plus one more that could either go in meat or be a pit monitor. I think at some point I'll upgrade to the TP25 as there are some "cook time estimate" algorithms in the app that would be interesting, if they actually work.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just scored $6.99/lb prime rib roast from Aldi's. Limit was one, but kept my receipt and the 8.5 lb one under one arm to get another 8.5 lb one. Needless to say but they sold out in less than 10 minutes. Will cut one into steaks and smoke the other one for Christmas. There was line 15 deep to get into the store when it opened.

• Wow
Reactions: BACyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love my TP20. I have had it for at least 3 years and it's been flawless. The range is perfect anywhere in my house.

I've toyed with getting the Thermoworks "smoke" for the advantage of being completely wireless and knowing what's going on with the smoker if I happen to need to leave the house for a time. However I've never been able to justify the cost vs that small benefit.

I would absolutely love to have 4 probes instead of 2 probes, though. Usually I'm smoking at least 2 different types of meat, so it would be nice to have at least one more meat probe plus one more that could either go in meat or be a pit monitor. I think at some point I'll upgrade to the TP25 as there are some "cook time estimate" algorithms in the app that would be interesting, if they actually work.
I have a signals and smoke.
I've had probe temp issues with the smoke. Just replaced all of them, so I'm hoping it was maybe just a bad batch when manufactured. They all initially worked fine.
I do like Thermoworks products.

Reactions: BACyclone

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
Looking at getting a budget pellet smoker. Considering the Campchef DLX 24. Any experience/recommendations?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Looking at getting a budget pellet smoker. Considering the Campchef DLX 24. Any experience/recommendations?

Thats a pretty small surface area depending on what you want to do. I’ve got the one below and I sometimes wish I would have bought the biggest one. I’ve had good luck with it. The thermal blanket has been awesome the couple times I’ve used it this winter. GMG also has a decent grill in that price range.

Reactions: cstrunk

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
Most I would do is a couple racks of ribs, a medium sized brisket or a couple of chickens. I’m graduating from an old Brinkman vertical charcoal smoker that has finally rousted out the bottom.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron