Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's a generic photo from the net but mine look just like that and are made by Sabatier. I also have another pair in a box somewhere that was Mom's when she passed away. Those seem really heavy duty.

This is what I have as well, I think I got them at Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny. I mostly use mine for cutting out chicken wings. After buying whole wings and cutting them out, I rarely buy the pre cut flats and drummies.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I wanted to smoke a couple chickens today but it's pretty windy

Wind and smoking is the worst.

I notified my wife that next year I'm building a small smoke shack in the backyard to house my smoker and grill. I'm not sure if that will actually come to fruition, but it'd be awesome to have the protected area to smoke or grill in peace from the elements.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The wife got me a thermal blanket so I decided to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving So I have a couple questions about smoking a turkey for the first time. The plan is to brine in salt water for like 12 hours and then throw it on early Thanksgiving morning.

Does a butterball need to be brined since it’s basically packed in saltwater already?

Im using a Pitboss pellet grill. I’ve seen instructions to set at 180 and super smoke and turn up to 325 after a couple hours or just set at 225-250 and go until done. What works best?

This might sound super dumb but do you season and then slather with the Mayo, mix the seasoning in the Mayo or Mayo and then season?

How long should I expect for a 17 lb butterball not spatchcocked?

Also I’m using Meat Church “The Gospel” to season. They had the whole Meat Church lineup at Hy Vee but it wasn’t with the seasonings. It was by the Charcoal with a only a couple others.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The wife got me a thermal blanket so I decided to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving So I have a couple questions about smoking a turkey for the first time. The plan is to brine in salt water for like 12 hours and then throw it on early Thanksgiving morning.

Does a butterball need to be brined since it’s basically packed in saltwater already?

Im using a Pitboss pellet grill. I’ve seen instructions to set at 180 and super smoke and turn up to 325 after a couple hours or just set at 225-250 and go until done. What works best?

This might sound super dumb but do you season and then slather with the Mayo, mix the seasoning in the Mayo or Mayo and then season?

Also I’m using Meat Church “The Gospel” to season. They had the whole Meat Church lineup at Hy Vee but it wasn’t with the seasonings. It was by the Charcoal with a only a couple others.

Since the turkey already has had been injected with salt solution, their is really no need to brine. I have done a citrus brine with OJ along with having lemon and orange slices along with peppercorns in the brine, just did not add the salt. I’d be looking at a 6-8 hour on the smoke but 160-165 IT temp is what you need to trust.

Poultry and turkey have to be cooked to 160 or above. I always check the leg and thigh area. I will have in mine on a rack in the roaster pan with water in it just to make sure I keep moisture in it. I will also do a butter herb with sage and rosemary put under the skin for added flavor. I brush the skin with butter and then add seasoning. The seasoning does not do a lot as it does not penetrate the skin, thus getting the seasoning under the skin.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I followed Malcom last year for my turkey smoking and it turned out really good.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

I would super smoke and then crank it up high. Less time in the poultry danger zone and the skin won’t be as rubbery compared to 225-250

Reactions: cstrunk

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Going to pull a 7lb ham off the smoker soon. Used a South Carolina rub and basted it with mustard.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
3.5 hours seems pretty quick... hopefully mine doesn't finish too soon. I'm doing it at 250* and following this recipe:

It was unexpected to say the least. I pulled out 3 different thermometers to check. Luckily I had everything else put together and just had to throw it all in the oven.

I needed up following meat churches recipe.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It was unexpected to say the least. I pulled out 3 different thermometers to check. Luckily I had everything else put together and just had to throw it all in the oven.

I needed up following meat churches recipe.

Did you use their brine? Love their rubs. Honey Hog is what I used for the one I have going... such a good rub. Honey Hog on some bacon in the smoker is legit.