Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Put a couple of 15 lb packers on last night around 9 pm. One is choice the other is prime. Probably took off around 2.5 lbs of tallow and fat on each. Current temps are fairly consistent on both around 165. I have a water bath in the smoker also. My typical kosher salt/Black pepper 50/50 rub on. Paid $2.98 lb on the choice and $3.38 on the prime. I needed to open some space in the freezer. This is the first time in a long time that I've done full briskets. I prefer to separate them to cut down on the amount of cook time. Just wanted to see if I could still do a full one yet.

View attachment 91351
Do you pull them at 165? What'd you smoke them at?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Do you pull them at 165? What'd you smoke them at?

They are at 170 right now. I will foil them at 10 and then take them to around 190-200. I started the smoker at 180 for 3 hours then went to around 225. Right therm says 225 (side with the point) and the left therm is at around 200 (side with the flat). It's just hard to keep the flat from becoming dry. Will see if the wrapping will help with that. I started with the fat side up for 6 hours and then fat side down for 6 hours. Turned them fat side up at 9 am.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They are at 170 right now. I will foil them at 10 and then take them to around 190-200. I started the smoker at 180 for 3 hours then went to around 225. Right therm says 225 (side with the point) and the left therm is at around 200 (side with the flat). It's just hard to keep the flat from becoming dry. Will see if the wrapping will help with that. I started with the fat side up for 6 hours and then fat side down for 6 hours. Turned them fat side up at 9 am.
Thanks. Brisket is the one thing I actually haven't done yet so I am making a little log of different peoples tips.

Reactions: cycloner29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Probably will pull them off in the next 30 minutes. Temp probe goes in like butter. Sitting at around 180 right now. Didn't wrap due to phone calls. Once you get past the stall point the temp does seem to go up rather quickly. Into the cooler wrapped in foil and a towel. These things will stay hot for hours.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Probably will pull them off in the next 30 minutes. Temp probe goes in like butter. Sitting at around 180 right now. Didn't wrap due to phone calls. Once you get past the stall point the temp does seem to go up rather quickly. Into the cooler wrapped in foil and a towel. These things will stay hot for hours.

That's what I do. I don't really take brisket (or butts) to a specific temp, just feel.

Looking forward to finished pictures! :cool:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Haven’t done brisket yet on my pit boss, will this fall at some point. Also does it freeze well after being smoked? I’m assuming it does, but never done one.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Haven’t done brisket yet on my pit boss, will this fall at some point. Also does it freeze well after being smoked? I’m assuming it does, but never done one.

Absolutely. Pro tip is try to reserve some of the juices/fat from the cook and pour some into your bag of brisket. Even do this if you are just throwing it in the fridge or the freezer.

The only downside is you have to be careful on the reheat process to not dry it out. That's why I recommend saving juices -- you might also sprinkle in a touch of water -- and reheat in a 350F oven in a closed dish to allow your meat to sneak back up to serving temp.

But even if you reheat a single serving in the microwave, when you open that dish up you'll immediately get all that smoke smell and flavor from the brisket, almost as good as fresh off the smoker.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Absolutely. Pro tip is try to reserve some of the juices/fat from the cook and pour some into your bag of brisket. Even do this if you are just throwing it in the fridge or the freezer.

The only downside is you have to be careful on the reheat process to not dry it out. That's why I recommend saving juices -- you might also sprinkle in a touch of water -- and reheat in a 350F oven in a closed dish to allow your meat to sneak back up to serving temp.

But even if you reheat a single serving in the microwave, when you open that dish up you'll immediately get all that smoke smell and flavor from the brisket, almost as good as fresh off the smoker.

This is how I reheat and it works well. I usually add a bit more than sprinkles of water to the dish before closing and putting in the oven, depending on how much I'm reheating, up to 1/4 cup.

Reactions: BACyclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Once you've done it enough, BBQ'ing to feel is much more satisfying and more times than not tastier!

For brisket especially, and maybe butts, I use the internal temp as the first guide, and go by the resistance to the probe as my final deciding factor when to pull it.

However with butts I've found that it's best to always try to smoke that baby to 206 as long as I wrap it well. I have had some odd pork butt cooks where it seems to take too long ~200F where I pull it "early" based upon feel.

Temperature is the hint, but ultimately you want the probe to feel like you're testing butter or a sheet cake. And if you're planning to slice the brisket, you might want it to be just a *bit* more firm than that.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
This is how I reheat and it works well. I usually add a bit more than sprinkles of water to the dish before closing and putting in the oven, depending on how much I'm reheating, up to 1/4 cup.

I use my leftover brisket and use it in chili.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Here is one of the two I pull off 193 on the point end and 187 on the flat end when I pulled them off at 11:30. The point end (right side of pic) is weird as you can see the grain of it goes a different direction than normal. I noticed this while prepping it.

Capture.JPG

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Vac seal. Keep sealed and boil in pot to reheat. No drying out or nasty microwave flavor.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
So I watched the mad scientist BBQ on brisket and he spreads smoked Wagyu tallow on his. Anyone here done that?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Get on that, expensive, but once you get it down to exactly how you like brisket, it's so rewarding. I never really get brisket anymore if I go out for BBQ because it doesn't compare.
Im confident this will be the case. I’m for whatever reason a little nervous. It’s my last smoking frontier.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Get on that, expensive, but once you get it down to exactly how you like brisket, it's so rewarding. I never really get brisket anymore if I go out for BBQ because it doesn't compare.
Brisket seems pricey because of the size.
You'll lose some fat from a packer from trimming and cooking but when you break it out to price per pound it's not too bad. Granted not what it used to be our what pulled pork can cost.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29