Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Followed this recipe a few weeks ago and liked it so I'm having it again today

vnZcaQm.jpg

I made the smoked queso on my big green egg mid summer and the Italian sausage I used i cooked on the smoker too. I was impressed.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who doesn't smoke with a pellet grill?

I use an offset charcoal smoker and add wood chunks on top of the coals in the smoker box. Takes a lot more effort than the set it and forget it pellet smokers but the flavor of the end product is far better IMO.

Reactions: MLawrence

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I use an offset charcoal smoker and add wood chunks on top of the coals in the smoker box. Takes a lot more effort than the set it and forget it pellet smokers but the flavor of the end product is far better IMO.
I bet in a blind test you wouldn’t know the difference.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl and Acylum

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Trying the Smokey D method that CW did the video on. Two racks of St. Louis style ribs. Just finished 2 hours at 275. Added some brown sugar, apple juice and some pure maple syrup, then double wrapped in foil.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who doesn't smoke with a pellet grill?

I smoke sans pellet grill and have for ~ 20 years, off set stick burner, and more recently, a Weber kettle. I do want a pellet grill, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet (I prefer to go big instead of going home).

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I bet in a blind test you wouldn’t know the difference.

You may be right, but my counter argument would you don't see pitmasters in the restaurant business using pellets. With that said, it comes down to how well you know your equipment, and I don't question pellet smokers can produce good bbq.

Just don't say you are having a barbecue only to serve hot dogs and burgers that were seared on a grill. That **** grinds my gears.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Truly flattered but after the Derecho in CR and seeing family get seriously f*cked up in a matter of minutes I figured life's too short for the petty back-and-forth silliness I used to engage in re: Iowa v. ISU. I've had Twins on ignore for many months, along with a few of the more enthusiastic hok posters. Just not interested. I'd much rather talk music, movies, politics, BBQ/Smokers

Follow up on the hot and fast method that CW did with Darren from Smokey D's. I pulled them at around 210 degrees and let them rest for about 30 minutes. They turned out great. The only things I would different would be to leave them uncovered for maybe 2 1/2 hours instead of 2 hours just to get some more bark on them or move them to my second rack on my smoker instead and probably not get take them to 210 again.

They were fall of the bone, the fat had all rendered of, and they were not dry at all. . Sweet with touch of heat from the rub I use (I added a little Old Bay, chili powder, some cayenne to it and some coffee). I had to take a picture quick of what was left as they were gone after I took it. I've made a lot of ribs for the family over the years and by son gave them an "8" out of 10.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Follow up on the hot and fast method that CW did with Darren from Smokey D's. I pulled them at around 210 degrees and let them rest for about 30 minutes. They turned out great. The only things I would different would be to leave them uncovered for maybe 2 1/2 hours instead of 2 hours just to get some more bark on them or move them to my second rack on my smoker instead and probably not get take them to 210 again.

They were fall of the bone, the fat had all rendered of, and they were not dry at all. . Sweet with touch of heat from the rub I use (I added a little Old Bay, chili powder, some cayenne to it and some coffee). I had to take a picture quick of what was left as they were gone after I took it. I've made a lot of ribs for the family over the years and by son gave them an "8" out of 10.

View attachment 77123
View attachment 77124

Spare ribs, yes? Have to admit I've only ever done spare ribs once, I'm a pork back ribs guy but I might have to give it another go, those look solid.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

This is my set up. It can be a pain regulating the heat for 5 or 9 or 10 hours for sure, but I do prefer the flavor and there are worse ways to spend a summer/fall day than out on the deck with a smoker and a drink. Will say I've had the stuff off my neighbors' pellet smokers, and it does taste pretty good.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Spare ribs, yes? Have to admit I've only ever done spare ribs once, I'm a pork back ribs guy but I might have to give it another go, those look solid.

They were St. Louis style. I don’t know if I want to try spares again. Just have never had them turn out decent.

Reactions: CYdTracked

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
If you can cook whatever to the right temp, I agree. Have never had an ill-cooked meat from my uncles Traeger, have had several under and overcooked from a friends side by box.

Have patience and a good thermometer - Get a side by side charcoal
Want consistency - Get a nice pellet smoker

Simple salt/pepper/onion/garlic combo will make anything taste great if cooked to the right temp.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you can cook whatever to the right temp, I agree. Have never had an ill-cooked meat from my uncles Traeger, have had several under and overcooked from a friends side by box.

Have patience and a good thermometer - Get a side by side charcoal
Want consistency - Get a nice pellet smoker

Simple salt/pepper/onion/garlic combo will make anything taste great if cooked to the right temp.

Honestly regardless of what kind of smoker someone uses the flavor profile and methods they use typically is the difference in the final product. Types of rubs, the type of wood, the temp and length of cook, injections spritz, wrap or no wrap, etc. any 1 or combo of things can make bbq stand out or ruin the taste. I'm a big fan now of not adding bbq sauce during a cook even if it is at the very end because you risk burning the sugars that are in the sauce and giving the bark a bad taste. Lightly brush it on before serving or serve it on the side as if you smoke meats correctly you shouldn't need much sauce to have it taste good.

Maybe post pandemic we ought to have a CF smoke off or something. With all the partnerships and sponsors CW has connections with like the Iowa Pork Producers, Darren from Smokey Ds, etc could probably get some sponsorship for it and make it a neat event.

Reactions: cstrunk

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly regardless of what kind of smoker someone uses the flavor profile and methods they use typically is the difference in the final product. Types of rubs, the type of wood, the temp and length of cook, injections spritz, wrap or no wrap, etc. any 1 or combo of things can make bbq stand out or ruin the taste. I'm a big fan now of not adding bbq sauce during a cook even if it is at the very end because you risk burning the sugars that are in the sauce and giving the bark a bad taste. Lightly brush it on before serving or serve it on the side as if you smoke meats correctly you shouldn't need much sauce to have it taste good.

Maybe post pandemic we ought to have a CF smoke off or something. With all the partnerships and sponsors CW has connections with like the Iowa Pork Producers, Darren from Smokey Ds, etc could probably get some sponsorship for it and make it a neat event.
No doubt, I'm thinking more from a daily use perspective than a competition perspective. Want a good roast after work, you can throw it on the pellet and not worry about it until after work.

Reactions: cstrunk

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

I use my Weber with a Smokenator insert. I've thought of a pellet but the reason, other than cost, I haven't pulled the trigger is too many parts to those. An electronic board, motor to power the auger, and a place to store it. I am thinking hard on an ugly drum smoker.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Game day and great weather to crank the pellet smoker up!! 2.75 lb Tri Tip from Fareway at $3.99 lb. I’m usually a brisket guy, but this turned out so tender. 150 for 1.5 hours and 2 hours at around 235. Highly recommend!! May need to get a few more while on sale. No fat to trim, or no need to separate flat from the point plus cook time is a lot less. Just kosher salt and pepper for seasoning.

CE54908A-0366-4D7B-8823-54FEA1D7AEAD.jpeg