Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Thanks. I would appreciate any advice for future brisket smokes. When I tired to cut mine, it fell apart. I was hoping for nice, thin slices, but that didn’t happen. It wasn’t tough at all when we ate it. I honestly think I went wrong with the foil wrap, but I really don’t know. I could have done the last, towel wrap too soon as well. I towel wrapped immediately after I pulled it for the last time. Maybe I should have let it rest, tented for a little while before the towel wrap. First time, so I know I have a LOT to learn.

No problem. I don't wrap during cooking, but I do foil wrap it when I pull it off. Then wrap in some towels and put it in a cooler for at least an hour.

It was just overdone. Every time you make it it will be a bit different. Every brisket will not cook the same. Pork loin and chicken breast will always cook the same under the same conditions. I have had perfect briskets at 200° and fall apart ones at 200°.

100% agree, briskets are all different beasts.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This is for those of you that don't have access to an offset smoker or a kamodo style smoker but still want to make brisket outside. Americas Test Kitchen shared their brisket episode to the YouTube today. A charcoal grill is needed for their method. They spent over 2 years working on this and cooked over 500 lbs of brisket to perfect the method.

Reactions: discydisc

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Did you smoke KFC chicken?
Not really smoking it, just pile the hot coals in the middle and place the thighs around the outside edge and put the lid on. You want it about 400 - 450 degrees to do it

Edit: I should add that this is not KFC. On Weber forums one of the things people discuss a lot is doing your own form of KFC on your Weber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycho1

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
One of our favorite things to do is put some busch's grilling beans under the pork butt in the smoker for the last hour or so. We add extra wood chips to give it a smokey flavor and the pork just drips flavor (fat) into it.

Reactions: JP4CY and Acylum

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Going to start a cure on a 10 lb pork loin tomorrow. Pure maple syrup, brown sugar, kosher salt and Prague powder.

Reactions: JP4CY

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
recommendations on a combo propane grill/smoker? will be looking for next spring hopefully. the grill I have been using has started to bite the dust finally..

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Followed this recipe a few weeks ago and liked it so I'm having it again today

vnZcaQm.jpg

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who doesn't smoke with a pellet grill?

Help Support Us

Become a patron