Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
My two racks of ribs have been on the smoker for 4.5 hours now at 225F. They're sitting at 192F/190F. Good things take time. One thing to remember for all cooks is to start it with more time than you think you need. If it's done early it can sit wrapped up resting in a cooler for a couple of hours, and you don't have to rush anything.

Reactions: cycloner29

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
What internal temp are you looking to hit for ribs?

Also, do you use a pan of water for everything you smoke?

I usually go for 195-198F or so on ribs (unwrapped).

Screenshot_20200704-223953_Photos.jpg

I took these off at 196F tonight and they were a bit crispy (at least the ends were - I don't wrap and I didn't do my usual spritzing). It definitely reaffirmed that I should always spritz if I don't wrap. Still delicious though!

Yes, if you have room I do recommend having a pan/tray of water in the smoker to help keep a moist environment. Moisture helps smoke penetrate the meat.

Reactions: JVAR

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
While I cannot verify myself, I thought they used a commercial brand sauce from their food supplier. Source: people who worked there on cyclonefanatic.

this is true but they add certain stuff to their baste.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Anyone else hit Rendezvous bbq during the liberty bowl ? That was some good brisket.
Went there the first time and had their ribs. Found a seasoning that replicate their taste fairly spot on. I prefer dry rub over any sauce rub. Although I do use olive oil first as a sticker and to seal the ribs so it’s not 100% dry.

Reactions: clone4life82

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What internal temp are you looking to hit for ribs?

Also, do you use a pan of water for everything you smoke?

Checking temp on ribs can be tricky. I go by how much pullback is happening and how it's bending. Here's a good resource for checking doneness of ribs. I only ever smoke pork back ribs, so I'm not sure about spare ribs.

I always use a pan filled with apple juice when smoking pork. I'll use water or beef broth when smoking beef.

Reactions: JVAR

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Checking temp on ribs can be tricky. I go by how much pullback is happening and how it's bending. Here's a good resource for checking doneness of ribs. I only ever smoke pork back ribs, so I'm not sure about spare ribs.

I always use a pan filled with apple juice when smoking pork. I'll use water or beef broth when smoking beef.

I like using chicken stock or lemon juice when I smoke meat.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Let's see pictures of everyone's 4th of July creations. Especially the first time brisketeers, how'd they turn out?

Sadly our day was so hectic that I didn't get any pics of our brisket and ribs, but they turned out beautifully. It was a giant family get together and got a lot of "way better than anything I've had, way better than Smokey D's (which isnt saying much brisketwise).

Reactions: JP4CY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Let's see pictures of everyone's 4th of July creations. Especially the first time brisketeers, how'd they turn out?

Sadly our day was so hectic that I didn't get any pics of our brisket and ribs, but they turned out beautifully. It was a giant family get together and got a lot of "way better than anything I've had, way better than Smokey D's (which isnt saying much brisketwise).

I cant figure out how to post pics, but I believe my brisket (1st timer) was a bit overdone. It was decent, but it could have been so much better. I don’t think i will wrap next time. I had it (8 pounder) consistently between 225-250 from 6:15 AM until 4:00 PM. Pulled once to wrap, and a 3rd time to baste the last 35 minutes or so. Sat wrapped in a cooler for about 2 hours before we ate. Like i said...it was decent and those who ate said they thought it was great, but I think they were just trying to be nice. In my opinion, it was overdone, and the bark was a little soggy, which is why I’m not foil wrapping next time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Just got done with this
66500.jpg

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker. You think the moisture pan is needed? All the recipes I've ever followed haven't mentioned it, so curious how much difference it makes.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker. You think the moisture pan is needed? All the recipes I've ever followed haven't mentioned it, so curious how much difference it makes.
In my charcoal and pellet I rarely use water pan. I inject, that way the meat will retain bark.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Ah, no idea, I use an old school charcoal and wood rig.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron