Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
WHO-TV weather crew strikes again. "Cooler and cloudy" for Saturday. No mention of 20+ mph winds. Not even a "breezy".

• Haha
Reactions: tm3308

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
WHO-TV weather crew strikes again. "Cooler and cloudy" for Saturday. No mention of 20+ mph winds. Not even a "breezy".
I rode from Huxley to Woodward and the worst was from Huxley to Slater, and that wasn’t too bad. Just had to deal with showers of drizzle.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Saw an interesting smoker on Michael Symon's BBQ show today. A Missouri team won the Memphis in May competition with this huge barrel smoker. They apparently smoked a whole hog of over 200lbs in just 9 hours. Beat out some really good former world champions like Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston in the process too. Instead of low and slow process its a hot and fast smoker so was interesting to see how someone did something completely opposite of what most do with whole hog and best out some tough competition.

Reactions: NWICY

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Saw an interesting smoker on Michael Symon's BBQ show today. A Missouri team won the Memphis in May competition with this huge barrel smoker. They apparently smoked a whole hog of over 200lbs in just 9 hours. Beat out some really good former world champions like Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston in the process too. Instead of low and slow process its a hot and fast smoker so was interesting to see how someone did something completely opposite of what most do with whole hog and best out some tough competition.

I'll be interested to see how they fare in the future. It's hard to fathom how a whole hog cooked hot and fast would win in Memphis. Hell, my butts take longer than that hog did.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'll be interested to see how they fare in the future. It's hard to fathom how a whole hog cooked hot and fast would win in Memphis. Hell, my butts take longer than that hog did.
Agreed, those BBQ competitions are tough and takes a little luck as well. The design was interesting to say the least. Almost like it was a large pressure cooker it seemed like

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

They do have some great BBQ sauce.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I want to do a deep clean on my Pit Boss next weekend. All of the cooking grates, the shield over the flame pit where you can adjust the amount of open flame, and just as much of the interior as I can.

Anyone done this? Looking for tips on products and approaches, etc.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I want to do a deep clean on my Pit Boss next weekend. All of the cooking grates, the shield over the flame pit where you can adjust the amount of open flame, and just as much of the interior as I can.

Power washer

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I just use my big charcoal grill, rig it up for indirect heat, hickory chunks today. I had a barrel smoker with an offset box but didn't like it as much. Mine looks similar to this...

View attachment 101900
I was gonna say, depending on what the intake looks like, you might want to invest in a Thermoworks Billows (and a compatible cooking alarm). I use one on my WSM and it makes temperature regulation incredibly easy, and it's supposed to be compatible with most smokers.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was gonna say, depending on what the intake looks like, you might want to invest in a Thermoworks Billows (and a compatible cooking alarm). I use one on my WSM and it makes temperature regulation incredibly easy, and it's supposed to be compatible with most smokers.
Good thought. I don't usually have much of a problem keeping it right around 220 without much spiking or dipping, but when there's constant gusty winds it makes it a lot tougher.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Rubber gloves and a plastic scraper. Soak the grates in Dawn and scrub. The diamond shaped grates in my Pitboss are a PITA to get clean.

It sucks.

Reactions: Al_4_State