Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
This has not been my experience I've always been happy how my pork butts have turned out. With brisket, it seems like I can use the exact same method and the results are always different.
Pork butt is extremely forgiving to fluctuations in temp and has a large margin for error due to all the fat within all the different muscle sections of it. Brisket is much more sensitive in that regard and a more steady temp and proper wrapping will definitely help to get a good consistent result. I smoke my pork butts and briskets for roughly 5 hours to the color I want and then wrap. Have never had a problem with juiciness as they really are braising to the finish and I've never used an injection. I've also cooked them anywhere from 220 to 300 degrees and turns out the same every time as long as you use a water pan to keep the cook chamber nice and humid on the hotter cooks.

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Pork butt is extremely forgiving to fluctuations in temp and has a large margin for error due to all the fat within all the different muscle sections of it. Brisket is much more sensitive in that regard and a more steady temp and proper wrapping will definitely help to get a good consistent result. I smoke my pork butts and briskets for roughly 5 hours to the color I want and then wrap. Have never had a problem with juiciness as they really are braising to the finish and I've never used an injection. I've also cooked them anywhere from 220 to 300 degrees and turns out the same every time as long as you use a water pan to keep the cook chamber nice and humid on the hotter cooks.
Do you ever put apple juice in once you wrap brisket, I never have?

I use butcher paper to wrap.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Do you ever put apple juice in once you wrap brisket, I never have?

I use butcher paper to wrap.
I don't think I ever have with pork butt because it always has plenty of fluid itself but I sometimes do with ribs.
edit: I'm sorry, no I have never added any liquid to brisket when I wrap. The rendered fat cap has always provided plenty of liquid in the foil wrapping.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Anytime I cook chicken breasts I pound/tenderize/thin them down so their all about the same thickness. I've never smoked chicken breasts though. Did you tenderize them down at all or put them on the smoker as is?

I do when I use the grill but thought I'd leave these plump just to see how it worked with various thicknesses. It turned out wonderful - I hadn't heard my wife moan since pre-marriage before last night.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I do when I use the grill but thought I'd leave these plump just to see how it worked with various thicknesses. It turned out wonderful - I hadn't heard my wife moan since pre-marriage before last night.
I think you need to find something different for your other meat your working with then…

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Nearly 14hrs in on a 13lb brisket. IT is currently at 190. Ran 225 overnight and then 9 hours in I wrapped it and bumped it up to 250.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Make sure you keep your pellets away from moisture, especially if you buy in bulk and don't use them within a few months.
Learned this the hard way. I have a pitboss and still had pellets in it a month ago from when I used it at Christmas. About an hour in I noticed the temp kept dropping and couldn't figure it out; turned it off and on and soon enough pressure caused a pop inside that pushed the lid open and followed with a **** ton of smoke. At least I learned to not leave the pellets in the smoker when finished.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I don't know if you guys will find this interesting, but yesterday I started selling barbeque I made at my community's farmers market. I sold pork bites which are cubed up pork shoulder smoked over a couple of hours and then braised in BBQ sauce, butter, brown sugar, and honey. I also sold smoked chicken salad croissants. Both of these dishes sold out, which we think was fantastic for our first time. I have to give props to friends, family, and especially my wife for all the help.

LBB Booth.jpg

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I don't know if you guys will find this interesting, but yesterday I started selling barbeque I made at my community's farmers market. I sold pork bites which are cubed up pork shoulder smoked over a couple of hours and then braised in BBQ sauce, butter, brown sugar, and honey. I also sold smoked chicken salad croissants. Both of these dishes sold out, which we think was fantastic for our first time. I have to give props to friends, family, and especially my wife for all the help.

View attachment 85974

A little too far of a drive, but I'd be in line to help support you if I was local.

Good luck!

Reactions: MLawrence

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I figured I’d give spare ribs one last shot. I have to admit these were the some of the best spare ribs I’ve ever had!! 7 1/4 hours and sauced twice (first time at the 6 hour mark with B Ray’s sweet and spicy next 6.5 mark.) $1.94/lb some of the cheapest meat these days. Brisket at Walmart yesterday was $4.69 lb for choice. That’s $2 lb more than it used to be.

I think the key to good spare ribs is getting the IT temp to around 180-190 to render all the fat out. Comes right off the bone and tender.

E17ACF99-CD7A-41FB-AFC1-213DFB7708B7.jpeg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was just gonna post on here too. For you Traeger owners, how do you clean it or what do you do for normal maintenance?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I figured I’d give spare ribs one last shot. I have to admit these were the some of the best spare ribs I’ve ever had!! 7 1/4 hours and sauced twice (first time at the 6 hour mark with B Ray’s sweet and spicy next 6.5 mark.) $1.94/lb some of the cheapest meat these days. Brisket at Walmart yesterday was $4.69 lb for choice. That’s $2 lb more than it used to be.

I think the key to good spare ribs is getting the IT temp to around 180-190 to render all the fat out. Comes right off the bone and tender.

View attachment 86354
Did you cover those at all? What temp?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

View attachment 86354

I've never done beef spare ribs. Is 3-2-1 method not a thing for those?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I was just gonna post on here too. For you Traeger owners, how do you clean it or what do you do for normal maintenance?
Mine yells at me to clean it. I'm too lazy to get out my real shop vac so I bought the little DeWalt battery powered one.

Reactions: JM4CY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did you cover those at all? What temp?

Did not cover them. Started at 170 for the first couple hours, 220 for three hours, finished at 235 the remaining time. I salted these in the morning and let them dry brine for 6 hours. I washed them off and added my BBQ rub which has very little salt in it. I also removed the membrane and took off as much fat as I could trim off. I did spray with ACV once every hour and went bone side up after 3 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron