Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
Smoked two racks of Spare Ribs and a Pork Loin today. Went alright but much more of a baby back guy. Pork loin so easy, but I guess most temp meats are. It's the time based smokes that you have to know your smoker. Was thinking tonight about different categories and thought I'd rate them for the discussion. Beef from the pros for me because it's expensive to try and fail and I don't try and/or fail much myself. I'm also big-time hickory wood guy, love that heavy smoke flavor.

My favorite smoked "pros" meat:
1. Beef burnt ends
2. Pork butt
3. Beef brisket
4. Pork baby back ribs
5. TBD it's hard to stray from the top 4

My favorite smoked "myself" meat:
1. Pork butt
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork belly burnt ends
4. Bullhead/Catfish
5. Chicken wings

The things I smoke that others love best:
1. Pork belly burnt ends
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork loin
4. Pork butt
5. Whole chicken
Can you share your catfish recipe? Have a pond full of them and need to start keeping some.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Never tried, I love pork too much on the smoker. Only smoked whole chicken, wings and drums.
Chicken thighs are my favorite simple thing to throw on. You can do a bunch of different stuff with and they don't take any time. I would liken those to a pork loin in terms of just how much better they are being cooked on a smoker of some sort.

My favorite, though, is beef spare ribs when I nail it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Chicken thighs are my favorite simple thing to throw on. You can do a bunch of different stuff with and they don't take any time. I would liken those to a pork loin in terms of just how much better they are being cooked on a smoker of some sort.

Just smoked some chicken thighs two days ago. Agree, very simple, just brine, dry rub, and on the smoker for 2-3 hours. Really good. But my favorite has to be pork back ribs.

Reactions: NATEizKING

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Just smoked some chicken thighs two days ago. Agree, very simple, just brine, dry rub, and on the smoker for 2-3 hours. Really good. But my favorite has to be pork back ribs.
What temp do you cook at? I've only ever done chicken thighs hot and fast because I've heard they get rubbery low and slow. Usually takes me about 45 minutes at 400.

Reactions: DollaDollaBill

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Smoked two racks of Spare Ribs and a Pork Loin today. Went alright but much more of a baby back guy. Pork loin so easy, but I guess most temp meats are. It's the time based smokes that you have to know your smoker. Was thinking tonight about different categories and thought I'd rate them for the discussion. Beef from the pros for me because it's expensive to try and fail and I don't try and/or fail much myself. I'm also big-time hickory wood guy, love that heavy smoke flavor.

My favorite smoked "pros" meat:
1. Beef burnt ends
2. Pork butt
3. Beef brisket
4. Pork baby back ribs
5. TBD it's hard to stray from the top 4

My favorite smoked "myself" meat:
1. Pork butt
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork belly burnt ends
4. Bullhead/Catfish
5. Chicken wings

The things I smoke that others love best:
1. Pork belly burnt ends
2. Pork baby back ribs
3. Pork loin
4. Pork butt
5. Whole chicken

This is funny because once I was able get ribs and brisket down on my own smoker, it's really hard to go to a restaurant and be happy with what I get.

However I still always order BB ribs and brisket, and I'll also go for the smoked link sausage because I never do that at home.

I'm also with you that I've been disappointed enough times with pork spare ribs (not enough meat) that I default to BB ribs now 100%.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Agree on chicken thighs. They are like a blank canvas that you can go any number of directions with. And unless you completely drop the ball, they're very difficult to screw up. They take to seasoning/brining so well.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
What temp do you cook at? I've only ever done chicken thighs hot and fast because I've heard they get rubbery low and slow. Usually takes me about 45 minutes at 400.

I concur with above. When I do pork ribs I will usually have some chicken (thighs or drums) and I will have those brined and ready to go with ~2 hours left and throw them in at one of the Rib steps to get ready at the same time as my ribs -- same temps, nothing special. Always get rave reviews on the chicken.

I've been through a handful of rubs for chicken and my family prefers the Weber "beer can chicken" rub. Last time I basted a little BBQ sauce with ~30mins left and that was also a hit.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Agree on chicken thighs. They are like a blank canvas that you can go any number of directions with. And unless you completely drop the ball, they're very difficult to screw up. They take to seasoning/brining so well.
Plus there is a lot of fat so it's hard to dry them out

Reactions: bos and Mr Janny

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Plus there is a lot of fat so it's hard to dry them out

Great point -- when I do drumsticks, typically I wrap them in a slice of bacon.

A couple weeks ago I found a pkg of chicken breasts in the freezer that needed to get used, so I did the same as above plus wrapped in bacon and they were approved.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This is funny because once I was able get ribs and brisket down on my own smoker, it's really hard to go to a restaurant and be happy with what I get.

However I still always order BB ribs and brisket, and I'll also go for the smoked link sausage because I never do that at home.

I'm also with you that I've been disappointed enough times with pork spare ribs (not enough meat) that I default to BB ribs now 100%.

I was also similiar to what you are saying. I did try them again and this time did the finishing temp to around 205. Made a world of difference in regards to rendering the the fat. I actually look forward to smoking these. Here is my ranking on ribs and I have smoked all three many times.

1. St. Louis Style
2. Pork
3. Baby Backs

Baby backs seem a lot thicker and just don't seem tender as the other two. I used to wrap ribs, but quit doing it just didn't want to keep adding more ingredient wise to them. I backed off a lot of the seasonings just to get more of the smoked flavor from them. Just my two cents.

Reactions: cstrunk

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Usually 200-225. Meat itself is delicious but I haven't perfected the crispy skin yet.
I take my spatchcocked chicken and throw it on the grill at high temp for about a min each side and it crisps it up pretty well. Maybe it's "cheating" but it works for me.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008

I'm a brisket snob, and my brisket is better than any i can get at a restaurant. Not a brag, I have just screwed it up enough to know hat not to do.

Link sausage is easy to do and you will be amazed at the results. I get mine from Grazianos and throw it on low for 2 - 3 hours. I usually put it on when I'm doing something else.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I take my spatchcocked chicken and throw it on the grill at high temp for about a min each side and it crisps it up pretty well. Maybe it's "cheating" but it works for me.
If it works it ain't cheating IMO. My problem is I usually baste with SBR for the last 20ish minutes, great flavor but doesn't lend itself to a dry, crispy skin.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If it works it ain't cheating IMO. My problem is I usually baste with SBR for the last 20ish minutes, great flavor but doesn't lend itself to a dry, crispy skin.
Pour hot water over the skin before you put it on the smoker.

• Informative
Reactions: Gonzo

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I was also similiar to what you are saying. I did try them again and this time did the finishing temp to around 205. Made a world of difference in regards to rendering the the fat. I actually look forward to smoking these. Here is my ranking on ribs and I have smoked all three many times.

1. St. Louis Style
2. Pork
3. Baby Backs

Baby backs seem a lot thicker and just don't seem tender as the other two. I used to wrap ribs, but quit doing it just didn't want to keep adding more ingredient wise to them. I backed off a lot of the seasonings just to get more of the smoked flavor from them. Just my two cents.

I only use dry-rub at least until the end, and kind of an amended 3-2-1.

Smoke 225-250 for 3 hours, wrap in butcher paper about two maybe 3 hours (open and check), finish by opening paper and basting BBQ sauce then cook for 30min to an hour.

THEN close up the paper, cover with towels for at least 30mins, hopefully an hour. They are killer tender. Given enough time on step two, the ribs will fall apart and that's how I like them...but letting them rest at the end is key.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Smoked an 18 lb brisket for 20 hours Sat to Sun and it was the most amazing results I've ever had. Since only 2 of us in the house will eat it, we're on the 5th and final night, and each night it's heated back up really well.

My secret to heating up sliced brisket is to add a bit of the rendered fat and half a stick of margarine to a skillet on low and heat for 5 minutes per side. There are times where I question if it doesn't taste even better than the first night. Everybody says the boil in bag method works well but this adds an extra layer of yum as it braises in it's own juices.
What temp did you cook it at and how high did you take it? 20 hours seems like a long time.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
What temp did you cook it at and how high did you take it? 20 hours seems like a long time.
I always go low and slow to render the fat perfectly and get the most smoke out of the Traeger. Did 180 for about 11 hrs to get a deep smoke ring then wrapped and let ride at 225 until 3:30 (203 internal temp). Let rest for 90 mins. Incredibly moist and tender with a perfect bark.

Last edited:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I always go low and slow to render the fat perfectly and get the most smoke out of the Traeger. Did 180 for about 11 hrs to get a deep smoke ring then wrapped and let ride at 225 until 3:30. Let rest for 90 mins. Incredibly moist and tender with a perfect bark.
Wow, never heard of anyone starting at 180. I'm going to try that.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Wow, never heard of anyone starting at 180. I'm going to try that.
I usually start at 180 but only for about 5 hours. Then I kick it up to 225 for 6 hours or so before wrapping in butchers paper for another couple hours (edit: I shoot get the internal up to about 210-215 so I usually will up the temp a bit when I wrap also). I then let it rest in the oven for a few hours. Always comes out great and super juicy.

I put all my trimmings into a pan and smoke it with it then pour a lot of the tallow over the butchers paper.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron