Smoke em if you got em! Memorial Day Weekend

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Smoking chicken wings/thighs and doing a firepit tonight, smoking a brisko tomorrow (can't friggin wait), and doing some bone in turkey breast with the family on Sunday.

Reactions: Cycho1

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I smoked 8 pork butts for my daughter's grad party last weekend - turned out AMAZING & we still have some pulled pork left. It may be a couple more weeks before I get out the smoker again - but I plan on doing ribs next.

Reactions: Cycho1 and jay moe

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Been busy all week, so I didn't get a chance to cure a pork belly. All is not lost though as I've got about 2 dozen wings I'll throw on the Big Green Egg with either pecan wood or cherry wood.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hey thanks for posting this. I’m a smoking amateur and am trying to get into it. I bought a smoker that looks like a mini fridge. Not sure on the actually name of it. Used it 6-8 times with decent results but can do better. The last time I used it it must not of been cleaned properly and i had to go the ER cuz it triggered my mold allergy bad. What’s the right way to clean that thing?

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Hey thanks for posting this. I’m a smoking amateur and am trying to get into it. I bought a smoker that looks like a mini fridge. Not sure on the actually name of it. Used it 6-8 times with decent results but can do better. The last time I used it it must not of been cleaned properly and i had to go the ER cuz it triggered my mold allergy bad. What’s the right way to clean that thing?
I'm assuming it's electric or propane powered. I'm a charcoal guy, so I might not be much help, but when I need to clean out the inside of my barrel I get the thing as hot as I can and do a "burn out" followed by a wire brush and various other scraping tools to clean it out. Use the shop vac to clean it up afterwards and then it's good to go.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'm assuming it's electric or propane powered. I'm a charcoal guy, so I might not be much help, but when I need to clean out the inside of my barrel I get the thing as hot as I can and do a "burn out" followed by a wire brush and various other scraping tools to clean it out. Use the shop vac to clean it up afterwards and then it's good to go.

Exactly this.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
View attachment 55263 Anyone smoking some meat this weekend? I started Friday off with a 12 lb brisket (it was the biggest Costco had unfortunately).
How far into your cook are you?
I've got a brisket thawing out in the fridge for Sunday, need to have it ready at 6 PM so planning on starting way to f***ing early. Pellet smoker, planning for 12 hours cook time with a couple hours of rest after, might throw on a pork butt as well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How far into your cook are you?
I've got a brisket thawing out in the fridge for Sunday, need to have it ready at 6 PM so planning on starting way to f***ing early. Pellet smoker, planning for 12 hours cook time with a couple hours of rest after, might throw on a pork butt as well.
Inject with some beef broth or my preference Mad Butcher brisket. Get some pink butcher paper and wrap at 165 tightly. It still leaves more of a bark than foil.

I buy a good amount of seasonings at Hawgeyes