Smart Home Tech

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Along those same lines, I have a scene setup in our hub that turns on the outside garage lights at dusk, then there's another scene that triggers at 11pm or so that turns off those lights and shuts the garage doors if they're open and locks the deadbolt if it's not locked.

This is exactly what I need. What system are you using for your doors and hub?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Am interested in getting one of those. My in laws have. Kind of wondering how that system works with a Samsung phone as I think it's Apple oriented? My kids have Apples, but my wife and I like our Samsung.

The Canary? No it works with Android and Apple phones. My wife has an Iphone 6+ and I have a Pixel XL. The only thing I noticed is that the camera recognizes the apple phone a little sooner when we get home.

In summary, if either of us is home it will record any movement for 24hours (free cloud storage) but it won't send you an alert. If neither phone is home it will send us an alert on our phone letting us know it sees movement. You also have 24 hour timeframe to download the recording if you need it for later. About 90% of the time it records it's accurate. The 10% time is usually a sudden change in light conditions or lightning.

Really the only downside is that you have to use an app, there is no web based. It also can give you alerts on low air quality and temp alarms.

Here is a a screen shot of some fat dude in my house.

5VGxKMt.png

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
This is exactly what I need. What system are you using for your doors and hub?

Hub: Vera Plus
I wanted something that processed everything locally instead of relying on the internet, and I haven't had any problems with this yet.

Front door: Schlage Connect

Garage Doors: Mine are all liftmaster so I just had to get their MyQ hub to connect it to the internet; there's a vera plugin that let's the hub talk with it

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
Do any of you have experiences with several platforms? Are you compelled to stay with a certain brand? I've just begun getting my house online and have read a lot, just see conflicts between different tech, I personally have had NO issues. Of course, as the devices can be remotely updated, the field is a moving platform...