Since we're asking questions: clock starting after penalty in 4th quarter?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Mainly, it goes against my belief that people should never be rewarded for breaking the rules of
During our final drive on offense, Chase Allen caught a pass for a first down (around OSU's 15 yard line). Chase was tackled with about 1:18 remaining on the clock, however the clock kept running. Clock stopped for a couple seconds around 1:10 while the ref placed the ball, then resumed.

I thought the clock stopped as soon as play ended after a first down, until the ref spots/places the ball?

Edit: In no way insinuating this influenced the outcome of the game
I think others are correct this was more of a TV display glitch. Technically I think they start it when the chains are moved, not when the ball is placed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agree, thought that once or twice early in the game as well.

As far as starting the clock at the ready or at the snap - at least in high school - if the prior play ended with the clock running, the clock will start at the ready. If the prior play ended out of bounds/incomplete, it would start at the snap. However, with under 2 minutes to go, the offended team always has the option whether to start on the ready or the snap. Not sure if the college rules are similar or not.
College rules has the clock stopping on every first down and starts back up once the ball is set by the referee. I noticed it too, however at the time didn't care because I honestly didn't think we would score. Had we gotten the ball back on the onside kick, I would've really cared about those 8 er so seconds.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Too lazy to look for it, but I think a previous thread (from a previous year) said that the refs have discretion whether or not to start the clock after a penalty. Basically if they think the team is trying to run down the clock, then they won't start the clock until the ball is snapped. Otherwise they might tend to keep the game moving along.
ISU called timeout after stopping OSU short of the line to gain on third down. OSU lined up like they were going to run a play on fourth down, but took a penalty for delay of game.
After marking off the five yard penalty, the referees set the ball and blew the whistle. The game clock started counting down.

I ask you, what was the point of calling timeout after making the stop on third down?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
College rules has the clock stopping on every first down and starts back up once the ball is set by the referee. I noticed it too, however at the time didn't care because I honestly didn't think we would score. Had we gotten the ball back on the onside kick, I would've really cared about those 8 er so seconds.

Yeah I was talking about after a penalty - high school stops for first downs, too.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That seems sketchy as hell if that is the rule. Why wouldn't you just continuously take delay of game penalties to run out the clock? That shouldn't be a ref's choice.
I wondered the same thing! Plus, I saw this in another game too. It's a very odd sequence.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That seems sketchy as hell if that is the rule. Why wouldn't you just continuously take delay of game penalties to run out the clock? That shouldn't be a ref's choice.

You can’t have multiples, but you can have someone accidentally false start, and then do another delay of game, you just can’t have two in a row.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
You can’t have multiples, but you can have someone accidentally false start, and then do another delay of game, you just can’t have two in a row.

Loved watching the Titans do that to the Pats in the playoffs last year!