Significant Severe Weather Outbreak for 5/20/19

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised if the Storm Prediction Center upgrades it to high risk on the next outlook release. Very good setup for tornadoes. Temps won't be super warm, but all the other elements are extremely favorable and upper 70's is plenty warm enough to get strong storms. Big hails is very likely. My area in KC has a strong flooding risk and maybe some hail but we'll be on the cold side of the front. There will be some areas of Kansas and Missouri that will get a month's worth of rain tomorrow night.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Dallas has got 15-20mph winds with gusts to 40mph today out of the SE drawing moisture in off the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of energy being pumped into NW Texas and Western OK for the afternoon heating, cold front and dry line to use.

Looks like they have elevated that area up to a Risk Category 5 (High) for this afternoon.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Of all the days for my wife to be in Dallas for work...
day1otlk_1300.gif

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Keep in mind the red dots are only registered users so there are countless others out there.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I saw somewhere that May 20th is the anniversary of the Moore tornado. Hopefully today won't be remembered for another tragedy

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
It has been happening more and more and is a hotly debated topic.
The Air Force will typically fly out aircraft from bases expecting severe weather. They schedule the frames for a training mission and stay overnight at a base outside the severe weather threat and then return the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: Turn2

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The Air Force will typically fly out aircraft from bases expecting severe weather. They schedule the frames for a training mission and stay overnight at a base outside the severe weather threat and then return the next day.

Yup. McConnell in Wichita has done that several times this year already. I am sure Vance and Tindal are doing the same today.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I saw somewhere that May 20th is the anniversary of the Moore tornado. Hopefully today won't be remembered for another tragedy

It is the anniversary of the 2013 event. Moore also got hammered in 1999. The 1999 event caused more casualties than 2013, but the timing of the 2013 event is what makes that one stand out. 2013 happened just as schools were dismissing for the day, and 2 schools were leveled, killing approximately 7 young children. Initial casualty counts for 2013 were really, really high, but it was later discovered many were double/triple counted due to many factors. Still a horrific event.

1999 was later in the evening.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
OU is shut down today too. Seems drastic but I also get it since any faculty's kids will be home(maybe by themselves) with the public schools shut down.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Of all the days for my wife to be in Dallas for work...
day1otlk_1300.gif
Dallas is only in the "yellow" area for slight risk of severe weather. They are only predicting heavy rain, strong straight line winds, and small hail today and into tomorrow AM. Not a big threat of tornadoes or large hail.

If she is driving tell her to stay out of the right lane. The civil engineers use that lane for a drainage ditch between storm drain inlets...

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Dallas is only in the "yellow" area for slight risk of severe weather. They are only predicting heavy rain, strong straight line winds, and small hail today and into tomorrow AM. Not a big threat of tornadoes or large hail.

If she is driving tell her to stay out of the right lane. The civil engineers use that lane for a drainage ditch between storm drain inlets...

Yeah, I don't know that the storms will necessarily obey the color designations.

day1probotlk_1300_torn.gif

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
So is this due to a combo of global warming and cooling?

I am not a meteorologist, but as far as I have come to understand, it is less to do with the globe heating up and more to do with climate change that will make weather events more extreme.

Global warming is a bit of a misleading way to think of what is happening to our planet. Yes, the planet is becoming warmer, but it is more easily observed as a bigger range of extremes.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836