Sick puppy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cyclonepride, May 16, 2014.

  1. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    Our 8 month old beagle has spent most of the week at the vet. Last weekend, she started throwing up randomly and then by Monday was really lethargic, low appetite and warm nosed. We took her to the vet where she stayed on IV's until yesterday. They got her fever down to a minimal level but then it shot back up. Took her to a specialist yesterday to have an ultrasound done to see if she had eaten something, but everything came back fine. I guess her spleen is enlarged but free of tumors or something like that.

    I'm taking her back in this morning because she is miserable and probably needs to be there. They are waiting for some results back from Iowa State to see if her fecal sample or blood work shows something strange. Just sucks, so no point other than to vent. She was a healthy, vibrant pup and now she's just not well.
     
  2. Angie

    Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

    Mar 27, 2006
    22,121
    1,542
    113
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I'm so sorry about that. :( That sucks. I hope she makes a full recovery quickly.
     
  3. isuska

    isuska Well-Known Member

    Jun 22, 2011
    3,073
    205
    63
    Ankeny, IA
    very sorry to hear, I hope she pulls through
     
  4. keepngoal

    keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

    Jun 20, 2006
    24,259
    1,004
    113
    any poisons around the house or neighborhood the pup could have accessed?

    Bleach? cleaners? mouse/rat poison?
     
  5. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    No, but she eats lawn edging, sticks, cedar mulch, rugs, blankets, you name it. The ultrasound was our request to see if something got bound up inside, but she was clear.
     
  6. Cycsk

    Cycsk Well-Known Member

    Aug 17, 2009
    15,253
    444
    83

    Did she nibble on those things after a treatment by a lawn service?
     
  7. Clonefan94

    Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

    Oct 18, 2006
    7,768
    330
    83
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    Sucks, I hope she pulls through. I know a guinea pig isn't a puppy, but ours does mean that much to our daughter. We had a similar situation with him when he was young. First couple of weeks he was really great, playful, energetic, playful, then he took a serious downturn, where he would just sit in one spot and not eat much. He spent some time with the vet and they never really figured out what the cause was. It took some time, but he pulled through with flying colors. Stay positive, it really helps to make things work out.
     
  8. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    We do have lawn treatments done, but the dogs aren't allowed out until two hours after application. They seem to be pretty good at just treating the grass because the only weeds are in my mulched areas (where there are a lot).
     
  9. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    Last application, by the way, was about three weeks prior to her getting sick.
     
  10. TXCyclones

    TXCyclones Well-Known Member

    Sep 13, 2011
    5,094
    323
    83
    TX
    Any chance the pup licked up some anti-freeze? A friend's puppy went through the same exact thing after licking up anti-freeze, which is lethal to dogs. Yet they love it because it is sweet to them.
     
  11. Cycsk

    Cycsk Well-Known Member

    Aug 17, 2009
    15,253
    444
    83

    How about the neighbor's lawn treatments? We lost a great pal because a neighbor put out "fly killer."
     
  12. keepngoal

    keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

    Jun 20, 2006
    24,259
    1,004
    113
    could your 2am friend be a complete *******?
     
  13. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    Really no access to anything like that. She goes in a 3 x 3 pen during the day, and our backyard is fenced in. The only time she is out and about beyond that is on the walking trail with me, and she isn't allowed to get into anything there. The neighbors haven't been outside at all, as it isn't pool time yet.
     
  14. cowgirl836

    cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

    Sep 3, 2009
    31,451
    1,740
    113
    with the spleen and other symptoms, some kind of infection/parasite would be my guess. Hopefully the blood/fecal tests show something conclusive so they can treat it.

    Poor baby, hope she's ok!
     
  15. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    Great news! After the tests came back, they felt okay giving her a steroid and she responded like crazy. Yesterday she couldn't even itch her own ears, this morning she is flying up and down the steps like normal.

    No idea what the heck that was, but so glad she pulled through!
     
  16. isuska

    isuska Well-Known Member

    Jun 22, 2011
    3,073
    205
    63
    Ankeny, IA
    That's awesome, great news
     
  17. VikesFan5

    VikesFan5 Well-Known Member

    Nov 9, 2011
    14,213
    327
    83
    Male
    Ames, IA
    This sounds exactly what my 2 year old dog is going through right now. She's been throwing up and been at the vet multiple times in the last week. She was injected with something for nutrients and whatnot, but she's still lethargic like your pup was.
     
  18. IAStubborn

    IAStubborn Well-Known Member

    Aug 16, 2012
    6,919
    68
    48
    Male
    #18 IAStubborn, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Sounds like pancreatitis. Some dogs can't make enough pancreatic enzymes to break down fat so if they get into something high fat, eat too fast, or eat a bigger dose of food than normal they can get pancreatic attacks. Sure they will test for it (but maybe not, it's an expensive test and they usually try and rule everything else out and then just have them eat slower (don't bowl food put on plate) and move to lower fat food.

    Multiple attacks can kill them or make them diabetic (what happened to may dog). He went blind and got out and lost and found a dead animal (high fat) and went into a pancreatic attack. When he was found the vet gave him insulin thinking he was vomiting from high blood sugar but in fact he had low blood sugar from the attack and the insulin killed him on my way home from the vet a couple weeks ago. I had turned around when he started declining but made it seconds too late. Anyway, I hope it's not that because with such a young dog it is a slippery slope and dogs won't regulate themselves so really tough if you have little kids like me that drop food from time to time. But what you describe sounds exactly like my dogs pancreatic attacks after we ruled out poisoning. Good luck
     
  19. Acylum

    Acylum Well-Known Member

    Nov 18, 2006
    3,726
    239
    63
    Fed Govt
    Parts Unknown
    NM- Thought this was a thread about me...
     
  20. Cyclonepride

    Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

    Good to know- we will watch that. She eats pretty much normal dog stuff (no table scraps), but we had been giving her yogurt (tone down her gas). Thanks!
     

Share This Page