Sick of hearing about the sacredness of the World Series?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone sick to their stomach from hearing about how Alex Rodriguez put himself above the game by having his agent announce during the World Series that he would opt-out of his contract?

Bud Selig has traditionally asked teams to refrain from making any coaching/player decisions during the World Series, so that all attention can be given to this "sacred sporting event." Of course, he can't control a player/agent from doing so.

All I can say is thank you to A-Rod for adding some excitement to this October post-season. Of the 7 series played, 5 were sweeps and one went one more game than the minimum. Only the Red Sox-Indians series had any excitement.

I'm sick of the old boy network in baseball. It's almost making me want to make the NFL my number 1 professional sport.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Anyone sick to their stomach from hearing about how Alex Rodriguez put himself above the game by having his agent announce during the World Series that he would opt-out of his contract?

I think you could make a good argument that the World Series was pretty much "over" when A-Rod made the announcement (sorry Rockies fans)...

Last edited:

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I think it would have been better had he waited until today when the Yankees leaked out that they will be hiring Girardi. Would have made for an interesting day in Yankee-land.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
As a Rockies fan, I was grateful for the announcement because it deflected at least SOME of the attention away from how bad the Rox were playing.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Baseball officially ended on August 30th 2007. Baseball is pretty boring, have you actually tried to watch a game?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I am sick of hearing about A-Rod period. It seems like thats all we have heard lately. He is a good player but I hope to god that it ends soon.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I am sick of hearing about A-Rod period. It seems like thats all we have heard lately. He is a good player but I hope to god that it ends soon.

He's Back!

The Yankees were told by agent Scott Boras that they could not meet with Alex Rodriguez unless they presented an extension offer that guaranteed the star $350 million "as a floor."

Link:
The Yankees were told by agent Scott Boras that they could not meet with Alex Rodriguez unless they presented an extension offer that guaranteed the star $350 million "as a floor."

alzzzzzzzz

Sep 18, 2006
World what?

I have said it before. Baseball is dumb, and it's boring as hell.

I quote George Carlin: "Baseball is a 19 century pastoral pastime. Football is a 20th technological struggle.....Baseball is played on a diamond in a park. Football is played on a gridiron in a stadium, sometimes called Solider Field or War Memorial Stadium."

The whole name world series pi$$es me off. If it's a world event, where's the other countries?? The world cup of soccer involves everyone in the world. Besides Cuba and Japan, no one else gives a crap about baseball, hence why it was dropped from the Olympics starting in 2012.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If it's a world event, where's the other countries??

The United States, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Canada, Venezuela, Japan, Mexico and Panama were represented in the World Series. Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball, Independent League Baseball and College Baseball all had record attendance levels this year. I think somebody likes it!

I think you meant to say that you don't understand baseball and never had the coordination to hit or catch a ball or throw a ball, right?

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I completely disagree with you. While I find it hard to follow every single game of a 162-game season, I think there is no more compelling sport than late-season baseball during the pennant races and during the playoffs and World Series. Every at bat, every pitch, has the potential to be game changing. The tension is almost unbearable. If you'd been at the Rockies/Padres Wild Card tiebreaker game, there is no way that you could say that baseball is boring.

The whole name world series pi$$es me off. If it's a world event, where's the other countries?? The world cup of soccer involves everyone in the world. Besides Cuba and Japan, no one else gives a crap about baseball, hence why it was dropped from the Olympics starting in 2012.
So does it bother you that the winners of the Super Bowl hang banners in their stadiums and wear rings proclaiming themselves as "world champions"? Far fewer countries in the world play American-style football than play baseball.

alzzzzzzzz

Sep 18, 2006
The United States, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Canada, Venezuela, Japan, Mexico and Panama were represented in the World Series. Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball, Independent League Baseball and College Baseball all had record attendance levels this year. I think somebody likes it!

I think you meant to say that you don't understand baseball and never had the coordination to hit or catch a ball or throw a ball, right?

#1 You missed my point. Where are the 'teams' from the other countries of the world? They call it the "World Series" yet it does not represent 'teams' from around the world competing against each other to determine a champion. It is simply teams from the US and Canada assuming they are the best. Again if it's a world sport, why is it being dropped from the Olympics????

#2 Cheap shot :no: ..and yes I did. Hitting a ball is fun, but the entire thing (both playing and watching) is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Plus what is there to understand? It's a simple sport where defense is reactionary, and offense is simple at best (walk/bunt/hit). It is has 1% of the complexity of football.

alzzzzzzzz

Sep 18, 2006
I completely disagree with you. While I find it hard to follow every single game of a 162-game season, I think there is no more compelling sport than late-season baseball during the pennant races and during the playoffs and World Series. Every at bat, every pitch, has the potential to be game changing. The tension is almost unbearable. If you'd been at the Rockies/Padres Wild Card tiebreaker game, there is no way that you could say that baseball is boring.

So does it bother you that the winners of the Super Bowl hang banners in their stadiums and wear rings proclaiming themselves as "world champions"? Far fewer countries in the world play American-style football than play baseball.

Thanks for respectfully disagreeing, instead of the cheap shot cybsball20 took. :smile:

I would have to say that I find any team/sport who calls themselves world champion presumptuous, if they aren't actually being tested against teams of the world. Much like Div IA crowning a National Champ in football when they won't allow playoffs.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron