SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They certainly should, given his efforts to politicize everything about COVID and his current powerplay to cut the CDC out of COVID tracking and reporting, so he can control and influence the information provided to theAmerican people. Scary stuff.

I believe those numbers since they likely include anyone with “thoughts of suicide” which is very common among people suffering from depression.
I believe those numbers because they're true for that age group.

Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in that age group. Around 6200 per year.

In 2015, it's estimated that 4300 deaths were caused by over use of alcohol in that age group.

Drunk driving alone kills around 3,000 teenagers per year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Looked into the survey. It makes a lot more sense now. It was an online survey and people were informed that they were looking into mental health effects. Seems it may have skewed respondents who already had mental health issues. While that is a serious concern. 40% of respondents have been diagnosed with PTSD and I can't remember now but it was between 20-25% had been previously diagnoses with anxiety disorder and about 20-25% had been diagnosed previously with depression. So not surprising to see an increased risk in suicidal thoughts among that group.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
never said sports was only reason..ofc not. But it plays a large part for every society. You actually think peoples actions and behaviors aren’t related and effected by sports? Lol.

I’m so tired of people proclaiming sports as “it’s just a game”.. The freaking Romans held gladiator games to control and appease its citizens.. Every society for centuries has relied upon sports and it’s not just for a score or fun.

its Not a matter of what’s more important as sports are intertwined into a lot of people’s lives.

So you want us to be controlled through sports?

I'll stick with the idea that people don't need sports for contentment. This will be a great opportunity for them to realize it, and the tons of folks that have gotten along just fine not being sports fans will continue to do so.

It's like people that blame Covid for obesity. Our society had issues with sedentary behavior and overeating for decades, it's now magnified when they couldn't deflect their issues by scheduling themselves away from it, and now they've had to figure out how for themselves how to work through it.

Internalizing! The horror!

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
But yeah, I really doubt lack of sports is the cause of increase in suicidal thoughts among 18-24 year olds. I imagine a lot of it actually has to do with a large percentage of people surveyed were either essential workers or unemployed.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But yeah, I really doubt lack of sports is the cause of increase in suicidal thoughts among 18-24 year olds. I imagine a lot of it actually has to do with a large percentage of people surveyed were either essential workers or unemployed.
And the programs / people they go to might not be available to meet or might have gotten shut down due to COVID.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
100% am not trying to call you out on anything, because I do think you care about the issue of mental health, but we shouldn't necessarily judge what makes people happy and what happens when something like that is taken away from them.

For instance, suicide is highly common due to relationship shakeups, whether that be a breakup, a divorce, or even a relationship in which you can't be happy in. For people who don't understand relationships, they might think that it's ridiculous that someone would take their life because of that. No one will ever truly understand what that person is feeling, especially in the moment.

Sports can go along with that. Sports have been a constant for everyone. No one, especially within that age range group, have had to deal with sports being taken away. I think it's taken a toll on a lot of people, because sports have been, for some, a way to escape something within their life. A breakup, a death in the family, a tough job, etc. They can help fill the void and create happiness. I think they're highly important in not just this country, but the entire world.

With that being said, I think that increase might have less to do with sports, but more to do with COVID. Lots of people have not been able to do a lot of different things that make them happy, not just watch sports. And to add to that, different social programs have either been halted, cut, or have gone online and might not be as effective to some.

The bolded is kind of my point: you can't just 'create' happiness. That's pleasure, it's short term and doesn't equate to positive health outcomes. We've found more ways than I can count to keep ourselves occupied so we don't have to actually work on ourselves.

I'll agree that everything going online and not having direct personal contact can have issues although I'd counter that I know too many people that are so dependent on others for their contentment that they don't know where they themselves stand and are lost when their answers are literally right in front of them.

This whole thing has been a chance for people to work on establishing better habits and instead we just want it fixed for us.

Were the same people all of the sudden so concerned with mental health saying the same things when the services were being cut? Are they going to vie for increased funding toward those services going forward?

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad and Cy$

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The bolded is kind of my point: you can't just 'create' happiness. That's pleasure, it's short term and doesn't equate to positive health outcomes. We've found more ways than I can count to keep ourselves occupied so we don't have to actually work on ourselves.

I'll agree that everything going online and not having direct personal contact can have issues although I'd counter that I know too many people that are so dependent on others for their contentment that they don't know where they themselves stand and are lost when their answers are literally right in front of them.

This whole thing has been a chance for people to work on establishing better habits and instead we just want it fixed for us.

Were the same people all of the sudden so concerned with mental health saying the same things when the services were being cut? Are they going to vie for increased funding toward those services going forward?
Yes people were fighting for more mental health funding before hand and I know I will continue into the future.

You really seem to just lack the ability for empathy on this issue. In a normal world if we cancelled sports it would be a sad thing that people would and should be able to deal with. We are not in a normal world though. The cancellation of sports is just another thing on top of job losses, isolation, etc. Sports themselves are not destroying peoples mental health, sports are just the straw that is going to break the camels back. I know my mental health has improved dramatically after the initial crash after state baseball. People need to have things to look forward to in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

To the bolded, I certainly hope so. For me, mental health has severely impacted my life, so I'm pretty passionate about those types of services.

And although you state that people SHOULD learn how to find independent happiness and not rely solely on external things to make them happy.. that's incredibly easier said than done. And as far as the "short term pleasure", sometimes an ounce of pleasure / happiness can go a long long ways.

Sure, there will be those who find other ways to cope with not having sports. But there are people out there, especially those who are actually playing the sport, who have devoted their whole lives to the games. Taking something away like that could certainly be critical to their mental health.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They just frankly don’t seem to be able to sympathize with others. As you said it’s not just sports that is the issue it is sports combined with everything else that is going on. Sports are generally that kind of last escape for people.

I don’t think they realize for some people we have told them hey you can’t do any of the things you enjoyed doing for the next year. When it comes to trying to bring back one thing for them to enjoy they are told you are stupid for wanting that. It’s just plain nasty.

I know I live by myself so it’s harder on me. I’ve done stuff with my immediate family throughout this whole thing but was at one point worried that I wouldn’t even be able to do that. I think it is a case of married people who just don’t understand that not everyone has the same life as them.

You want to take this back please?

Nobody is saying people are stupid for wanting to. It's part of many peoples' lives, it's what we're conditioned to. It's weird how it won't happen as when you get to the fall, it's something to look forward to which is a good thing.

I grew up around football so it's engrained for me to watch it, talk about it, and all that.

But I can find other things I can do that are healthier anyway.

To your last statement: there's all sorts of married people that wake up every day thinking about how great it would be live alone. No joking.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You want to take this back please?

Nobody is saying people are stupid for wanting to. It's part of many peoples' lives, it's what we're conditioned to. It's weird how it won't happen as when you get to the fall, it's something to look forward to which is a good thing.

I grew up around football so it's engrained for me to watch it, talk about it, and all that.

But I can understand that there will be other things I can do that are healthier anyway.

To your last statement: there's all sorts of married people that wake up every day thinking about how great it would be live alone. No joking.
tenor.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes people were fighting for more mental health funding before hand and I know I will continue into the future.

You really seem to just lack the ability for empathy on this issue. In a normal world if we cancelled sports it would be a sad thing that people would and should be able to deal with. We are not in a normal world though. The cancellation of sports is just another thing on top of job losses, isolation, etc. Sports themselves are not destroying peoples mental health, sports are just the straw that is going to break the camels back. I know my mental health has improved dramatically after the initial crash after state baseball. People need to have things to look forward to in the future.

Please don't tell me I don't have empathy on the issue. You don't know me.
I've spent a strong portion of my life alone and there were times when that seemed difficult even if preferred but that was only because it was my problem thinking I needed external sources for my own contentment.

It was up to me to figure out what I needed to do.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To the bolded, I certainly hope so. For me, mental health has severely impacted my life, so I'm pretty passionate about those types of services.

And although you state that people SHOULD learn how to find independent happiness and not rely solely on external things to make them happy.. that's incredibly easier said than done. And as far as the "short term pleasure", sometimes an ounce of pleasure / happiness can go a long long ways.

Sure, there will be those who find other ways to cope with not having sports. But there are people out there, especially those who are actually playing the sport, who have devoted their whole lives to the games. Taking something away like that could certainly be critical to their mental health.

I'm not talking about those that play the sport (although this is an opportunity for taking a strong look at other pathways but that's another deal).

And I'm not saying that's an easy thing to do. That's kind of the other part of it.

It can take all sorts of work for someone to work through whatever they need to to get to another place. Years. A life time even.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not talking about those that play the sport (although this is an opportunity for taking a strong look at other pathways but that's another deal).

And I'm not saying that's an easy thing to do. That's kind of the other part of it.

It can take all sorts of work for someone to work through whatever they need to to get to another place. Years. A life time even.
Agreed. I think this whole thing has effected people in completely different ways. And to sort of go off of something you said earlier.. If sports not being played were honestly the worst thing that happened to someone during this time period, they likely haven't had it ALL that rough.

The people that I worry about are those who have had a tough time during this situation and use sports as an outlet to get away from the "real world".

• Winner

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed. I think this whole thing has effected people in completely different ways. And to sort of go off of something you said earlier.. If sports not being played were honestly the worst thing that happened to someone during this time period, they likely haven't had it ALL that rough.

The people that I worry about are those who have had a tough time during this situation and use sports as an outlet to get away from the "real world".

I'm more concerned with people that were already struggling beforehand for various reasons far deeper than sports.

Anyway to pivot back to original topic, just saw this pop up as what I think is evidence that having college football will be difficult.

1. He went out because 'it's inevitable' even though it was his choice,
2. Driving without a seatbelt (his own doing if alone so whatever but still shows he doesn't analyze risk very well (even at like 5 MPH hitting something can be quite injurious)), and
3. Talking into his phone while driving (behavior that puts others at risk) while trying to rationalize breaking his company's (MLB) rules.
4. In the end blaming the media for reporting, so needs to blame someone else.

Are we expecting much better from college kids?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm more concerned with people that were already struggling beforehand for various reasons far deeper than sports.

Anyway to pivot back to original topic, just saw this pop up as what I think is evidence that having college football will be difficult.

1. He went out because 'it's inevitable' even though it was his choice,
2. Driving without a seatbelt (his own doing if alone so whatever but still shows he doesn't analyze risk very well (even at like 5 MPH hitting something can be quite injurious)), and
3. Talking into his phone while driving (behavior that puts others at risk) while trying to rationalize breaking his company's (MLB) rules.
4. In the end blaming the media for reporting, so needs to blame someone else.

Are we expecting much better from college kids?

No, you can't, but I also don't think you should give up on trying because of the possibility of players breaking team rules. That player right there was punished and had to quarantine. He will likely not do such a thing again because it would hinder his future with the MLB.

A breakout COULD ruin the entire season for everyone. It just depends on how they handle scheduling if that happens. In the MLB, they've basically not cared that the Cardinals have only played 5 total games while everyone else has played at least 13. We'll just have to see what happens.

• Winner

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So you want us to be controlled through sports?

I'll stick with the idea that people don't need sports for contentment. This will be a great opportunity for them to realize it, and the tons of folks that have gotten along just fine not being sports fans will continue to do so.

It's like people that blame Covid for obesity. Our society had issues with sedentary behavior and overeating for decades, it's now magnified when they couldn't deflect their issues by scheduling themselves away from it, and now they've had to figure out how for themselves how to work through it.

Internalizing! The horror!

maybe I should clarify..I posted that info bc there are bigger issues outside Covid but we are making ground sweeping decisions that affect millions bc of it. If that makes sense.

i don’t think people are blaming Covid on obesi

You said it far better than I...My son (13)..doesn’t have any friends he talks with for various reasons...He and I look forward to sports and he gets a lot of enjoyment out it..along with fishing. He plays football but that might not happen either.

If you just shut everything down a heck of a lot of people are going to seriously struggle.

When they shut down school(prob had to).. it was yea fun for Couple weeks...then it got brutal. As an adult I have my Job thankfully That keeps me occupied. Young kids who cannot be with friends and everything is shut Down it’s freaking hard on them.

• Agree

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
maybe I should clarify..I posted that info bc there are bigger issues outside Covid but we are making ground sweeping decisions that affect millions bc of it. If that makes sense.

i don’t think people are blaming Covid on obesi

You said it far better than I...My son (13)..doesn’t have any friends he talks with for various reasons...He and I look forward to sports and he gets a lot of enjoyment out it..along with fishing. He plays football but that might not happen either.

If you just shut everything down a heck of a lot of people are going to seriously struggle.

When they shut down school(prob had to).. it was yea fun for Couple weeks...then it got brutal. As an adult I have my Job thankfully That keeps me occupied. Young kids who cannot be with friends and everything is shut Down it’s freaking hard on them.

Where do you live that everything is shut down?

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

Must we cave football threads as well now? Come on folks. No one comes to a football thread looking for partisan political banter. There are more than adequate places to go for that, here. By all means, have the discussion, but have it in the cave so @cyrocksmypants can participate. ;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, you can't, but I also don't think you should give up on trying because of the possibility of players breaking team rules. That player right there was punished and had to quarantine. He will likely not do such a thing again because it would hinder his future with the MLB.

A breakout COULD ruin the entire season for everyone. It just depends on how they handle scheduling if that happens. In the MLB, they've basically not cared that the Cardinals have only played 5 total games while everyone else has played at least 13. We'll just have to see what happens.

Yeah if it works out great but my thinking is there's too many out there with this line of thought that can't formulate the repercussions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron