SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Wasn’t sure where to put this but I do believe sports plays a huge role for this age group...Sports are a massive part of every society for centuries...it’s not just a game..

CDC: 25.5% of Americans age 18 to 24 seriously considered suicide in the past 30 days.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wasn’t sure where to put this but I do believe sports plays a huge role for this age group...Sports are a massive part of every society for centuries...it’s not just a game..

CDC: 25.5% of Americans age 18 to 24 seriously considered suicide in the past 30 days.

Mental health is a serious issue with or without Covid but if something like college football as a fan is someone's source of enlightenment or contentment or real happiness then holy **** do we have societal issues beyond sports being gone.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

I'm sure it's sports and not things like unemployment, school disruptions, etc.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Mental health is a serious issue with or without Covid but if something like college football as a fan is someone's source of enlightenment or contentment or real happiness then holy **** do we have societal issues beyond sports being gone.
100% am not trying to call you out on anything, because I do think you care about the issue of mental health, but we shouldn't necessarily judge what makes people happy and what happens when something like that is taken away from them.

For instance, suicide is highly common due to relationship shakeups, whether that be a breakup, a divorce, or even a relationship in which you can't be happy in. For people who don't understand relationships, they might think that it's ridiculous that someone would take their life because of that. No one will ever truly understand what that person is feeling, especially in the moment.

Sports can go along with that. Sports have been a constant for everyone. No one, especially within that age range group, have had to deal with sports being taken away. I think it's taken a toll on a lot of people, because sports have been, for some, a way to escape something within their life. A breakup, a death in the family, a tough job, etc. They can help fill the void and create happiness. I think they're highly important in not just this country, but the entire world.

With that being said, I think that increase might have less to do with sports, but more to do with COVID. Lots of people have not been able to do a lot of different things that make them happy, not just watch sports. And to add to that, different social programs have either been halted, cut, or have gone online and might not be as effective to some.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Looks like if Jamie doesn't allow fans, I am for sure making a road trip on Halloween...
You can be in line right behind me. I have tradition of that game with my daughter and FSIL. Maybe not this year, but in normal years, DO NOT worry about paying $100+ from a scalper for good seats. You can buy the cheapest ticket you can find and still sit wherever you want. Lessons learned. Also, it is more fun to join the ISU crowd then sit on the KU side anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You can be in line right behind me. I have tradition of that game with my daughter and FSIL. Maybe not this year, but in normal years, DO NOT worry about paying $100+ from a scalper for good seats. You can buy the cheapest ticket you can find and still sit wherever you want. Lessons learned. Also, it is more fun to join the ISU crowd then sit on the KU side anyway.
The fact you just used the term “KU side” as opposed to KU corner or KU section is just hilarious and a testament to how few fans suffer through those games. They can’t even fill half their stadium. “An KU side and a visitor side” lol. Like it’s a damn HS game or something and not a P5 D1 program. Pretty sad actually.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The fact you just used the term “KU side” as opposed to KU corner or KU section is just hilarious and a testament to how few fans suffer through those games. They can’t even fill half their stadium. “An KU side and a visitor side” lol. Like it’s a damn HS game or something and not a P5 D1 program. Pretty sad actually.
Went down there two years ago. Was told by people beforehand how bad it was, but you have to see it to believe it. There were undoubtedly more Iowa State fans there. I felt a little bad, but then remembered they have a basketball program that I despise.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

There is no way that is true. CDC is pushing Trump's agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Cyclad

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Went down there two years ago. Was told by people beforehand how bad it was, but you have to see it to believe it. There were undoubtedly more Iowa State fans there. I felt a little bad, but then remembered they have a basketball program that I despise.
This exactly why I have no doubt in my mind that any player that might be modestly good that goes there has to be getting some serious cash under the table.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This exactly why I have no doubt in my mind that any player that might be modestly good that goes there has to be getting some serious cash under the table.
They did get into trouble with recruiting violations a year ago didn't they?

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclad

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They did get into trouble with recruiting violations a year ago didn't they?
I don’t know. I am a bit rusty on my Jayhawks football news. All I remember is that one kid getting off likely easy after being accused or convicted of rape or something similar.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don’t know. I am a bit rusty on my Jayhawks football news. All I remember is that one kid getting off likely easy after being accused or convicted of rape or something similar.
Domestic battery / assault. That was Pooka Williams, their best player in 10 years who's still there. Happened in the offseason and I think he only missed one game?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

never said sports was only reason..ofc not. But it plays a large part for every society. You actually think peoples actions and behaviors aren’t related and effected by sports? Lol.

I’m so tired of people proclaiming sports as “it’s just a game”.. The freaking Romans held gladiator games to control and appease its citizens.. Every society for centuries has relied upon sports and it’s not just for a score or fun.

its Not a matter of what’s more important as sports are intertwined into a lot of people’s lives.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I didn't even think about that, but that is exactly what the atmosphere was. There was KU side and visitor side (ISU filled half of visitor side). And to be honest, KU side people were probably just there for the social aspect as most didn't seem to even care about the game.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

Is that why they have the track around the football field? To allow groups of men the ability to walk up and down the field to follow the action?

• Haha
Reactions: BCClone and JM4CY

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

They certainly should, given his efforts to politicize everything about COVID and his current powerplay to cut the CDC out of COVID tracking and reporting, so he can control and influence the information provided to theAmerican people. Scary stuff.

I believe those numbers since they likely include anyone with “thoughts of suicide” which is very common among people suffering from depression.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
never said sports was only reason..ofc not. But it plays a large part for every society. You actually think peoples actions and behaviors aren’t related and effected by sports? Lol.

I’m so tired of people proclaiming sports as “it’s just a game”.. The freaking Romans held gladiator games to control and appease its citizens.. Every society for centuries has relied upon sports and it’s not just for a score or fun.

its Not a matter of what’s more important as sports are intertwined into a lot of people’s lives.
They just frankly don’t seem to be able to sympathize with others. As you said it’s not just sports that is the issue it is sports combined with everything else that is going on. Sports are generally that kind of last escape for people.

I don’t think they realize for some people we have told them hey you can’t do any of the things you enjoyed doing for the next year. When it comes to trying to bring back one thing for them to enjoy they are told you are stupid for wanting that. It’s just plain nasty.

I know I live by myself so it’s harder on me. I’ve done stuff with my immediate family throughout this whole thing but was at one point worried that I wouldn’t even be able to do that. I think it is a case of married people who just don’t understand that not everyone has the same life as them.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: BigCyFan and Acylum