SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
If players want pay then they better go pro.

The NCAA model is not perfect. But it does a good job from an educational and opportunity standpoint. Sure football and men's basketball bring in billions of dollars, but those monies provide scholarship and sport opportunities for all the other women's and men's sports on campus.

As an alumni, I like the model where revenue ISU gets from the big 2 sports funds academic opportunities for volleyball, wrestling, soccer, track, etc. student athletes.

College football and basketball players are getting paid. They receive hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sport training over their 4 years. They receive full scholarship, board and expense money. Depending on the school and if instate or out-of-state that is easily worth $150,000 to $300,000 over 4 years. Lastly, the most recent info I saw the value of a college degree vs high school diploma is over $1,000,000 over someone's lifetime.

Sounds to me college basketball and football players get A LOT. The NCAA has done a sucky job keeping academic integrity in FB & MBB. If I am university Presidents and NCAA I make no apologies for the current model.

I have no issue with image and likeness payments, but I would want coordination with IRS and very stiff penalties for corporations and athletes if abuse occurs.

If I am NCAA and Presidents, I would tell guys wanting pay to go pro or find opportunity elsewhere. I have no doubt some entrepreneurs would create a paid development for college age football players. I believe the NBA G-League is already headed in that direction.

Thank-you for writing what I was thinking! I agree 100%!

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Not sure if this has been posted:

Nebraska football coach Scott Frost said Monday that the Cornhuskers are prepared to play this upcoming season -- even if it's outside the Big Ten.

"We're a proud member of the Big Ten," Frost said during a Zoom teleconference with reporters. "We want to play a Big Ten schedule. I think the only reason we would look at any other options is if for some reason the Big Ten wasn't playing and only a handful of teams from the Big Ten wanted to continue playing. I think if that's the case, I think we're prepared to look at any and all options."

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Nobody has posted this or is talking about it. I think it will have a big impact on what the Big 12 does.

If you read the full press release. OU sent its team home for a week. Official reason was schedule but they also had a player test positive. If this results in an outbreak then that moves us toward shutting down. If it results in containing the virus then that moves us towards playing because the protocols are working. Waiting for the results in a week.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Here is one of their noncontact practice drills they tweeted out. Pretty easy to see how one knucklehead not following team rules and comes down with the virus can spread it to the rest of the locker room very quickly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not sure if this has been posted:

Nebraska football coach Scott Frost said Monday that the Cornhuskers are prepared to play this upcoming season -- even if it's outside the Big Ten.

"We're a proud member of the Big Ten," Frost said during a Zoom teleconference with reporters. "We want to play a Big Ten schedule. I think the only reason we would look at any other options is if for some reason the Big Ten wasn't playing and only a handful of teams from the Big Ten wanted to continue playing. I think if that's the case, I think we're prepared to look at any and all options."

Would be the first season they’ve been prepared to play in almost a decade.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here is one of their noncontact practice drills they tweeted out. Pretty easy to see how one knucklehead not following team rules and comes down with the virus can spread it to the rest of the locker room very quickly.

Man any other year that kind of footage gets me amped for opening weekend.

We'll see what happens.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I have no idea about Covid counts and the protests and not making any statement pertaining about the protests. My question is: If you can have many thousands gather together in close quarters without wearing masks or social distancing in the protests (going off what I saw on TV with the MSP protests), and have studies show that protests did not materially add to COVID case counts; can we use those studies and situations to say that having some fans in the stands would be similar?

I think you can make that argument, the trouble is, IMO, two things:

1. This does not apply to the players

2. As opposed to protests, which aren't events that are necessarily sanctioned by any particular official group of people, if you're a school, you making the choice to allow people to be there is allowing a level of risk, and enabling an organized gathering of people that might not be necessary.

Personally, if I weren't so disappointed in the response of our society to this pandemic, I might feel like it'd be fair to leave it up to people to take on that risk, given certain guidelines. But people clearly really suck, and we have ****** leadership, so it turns into a "this is why we can't have nice things" type of situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
From Hawkeye Report

giphy.gif