SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Id be all in if states would go to the original CDC guidelines we were supposed to be following for“reopening” which is two straight weeks of uninterrupted declines in cases. The dumbest thing about this is we have no one to blame except the government and ourselves for taking our queues from a bunch of Republican morons.
Yep it's no coincidence that the conferences that are refusing to follow the best medical advice and practices are based in the states that have handled this the worst. Those conferences reflect the people within them.

It's also funny watching people act like the big 10 and pac-12 are out on a huge limb here with canceling just because the big 12 SEC and ACC didn't. In reality it is those three conferences that are out on a limb while everyone else has generally canceled/postponed on the advice of medical experts

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Coronavirus is much less dangerous for healthy 20 year olds in terms of the death rate than influenza, the common cold, swimming, riding in a car, and possibly football which has a death rate of 12 players a year on average. I am using ration and not emotion. Look up the statistics yourself no need to trust me. My point about death is we all except the risks of living with all of the above, including driving. Why the hysteria about Coronavirus which is carries less risk for healthy 20 year olds? If I am a 20 year old college student man I would want to play, and I would not want political correctness to make the choice for me.

You really haven’t been able to figure out that it is not just about them? You are unable to grasp that the disease spreads to other individuals who are at greater risk of death or hospitalization? You haven’t read up on it enough to learn that there can be other lasting effects for those who recover?

Those obvious points aside -“People already die in car accidents, so what the big deal?” is not a rational argument. Its brain dead nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy and Cyclad

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You really haven’t been able to figure out that it is not just about them? You are unable to grasp that the disease spreads to other individuals who are at greater risk of death or hospitalization? You haven’t read up on it enough to learn that there can be other lasting effects for those who recover?

I think this is a great argument for not having fans. I guess I don't see a ton of value in this argument from a play vs. don't play standpoint.

These kids will be tested and monitored at a higher level than any regular civilian. If they get it they will be isolated. I guess I don't see playing the games without fans as creating a higher risk of community spread.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Coronavirus is much less dangerous for healthy 20 year olds in terms of the death rate than influenza, the common cold, swimming, riding in a car, and possibly football which has a death rate of 12 players a year on average. I am using ration and not emotion. Look up the statistics yourself no need to trust me. My point about death is we all except the risks of living with all of the above, including driving. Why the hysteria about Coronavirus which is carries less risk for healthy 20 year olds? If I am a 20 year old college student man I would want to play, and I would not want political correctness to make the choice for me.

Do you not know that Covid is highly contagious?

And your other examples are not things that spread from person to person to person.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think this is a great argument for not having fans. I guess I don't see a ton of value in this argument from a play vs. don't play standpoint.

These kids will be tested and monitored at a higher level than any regular civilian. If they get it they will be isolated. I guess I don't see playing the games without fans as creating a higher risk of community spread.

I think that’s the best chance we have. I’m good with that, but not with the argument of “Who cares if they get it since they are 20, and they could die in a car accident anyway” that I was replying to.

• Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Also - is he arguing that 20 year olds die of the common cold? Uhhh...

The car collision and drowning things are always compelling as both typically involve chosen high risk behaviors (speeding, not wearing life vest).

If someone speeds during a snow storm on really icy roads when it's been advised to not even drive, do they look like an idiot putting others in danger?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Yep it's no coincidence that the conferences that are refusing to follow the best medical advice and practices are based in the states that have handled this the worst. Those conferences reflect the people within them.

It's also funny watching people act like the big 10 and pac-12 are out on a huge limb here with canceling just because the big 12 SEC and ACC didn't. In reality it is those three conferences that are out on a limb while everyone else has generally canceled/postponed on the advice of medical experts

From a financial perspective, which is the frame most people are using, the Big 10 and Pac 12 are out on a limb, and there's no going back. It's spring or bust.

The ACC/SEC/B12 are out on a limb from a safety/PR perspective, but they have given themselves a few ropes that they can use by not rushing to make a final decision. Especially in the Big 12, where it seems like they are playing it by ear more than the SEC, which is probably going forward no matter what.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Also - is he arguing that 20 year olds die of the common cold? Uhhh...
The common cold? Highly unlikely. Influenza? Sure. If you're in the age range of 0-25, you have a less likely chance of dying from COVID than you do with the flu.

With that being said, researchers believe COVID can cause worse effects later on in life than the flu does to that same age range.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The games don't bother me as much as the ways it spreads and how if a player gets it and it spreads to whole position group. Perhaps if guidelines are followed it could help a bit.

We may very well be seeing musical chairs at various spots and I'd wonder at what point does it need to get to where a team forfeits.

Oddly we may be seeing another benefit of the redshirt/4 games rule.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The games don't bother me as much as the ways it spreads and how if a player gets it and it spreads to whole position group. Perhaps if guidelines are followed it could help a bit.

We may very well be seeing musical chairs at various spots and I'd wonder at what point does it need to get to where a team forfeits.

I read somewhere that the NFL is likely going to quarantine a backup QB in case their QB room gets infected.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The common cold? Highly unlikely. Influenza? Sure. If you're in the age range of 0-25, you have a less likely chance of dying from COVID than you do with the flu.

With that being said, researchers believe COVID can cause worse effects later on in life than the flu does to that same age range.

What are the current chances of that for each? I've tried the google and it doesn't seem to pinpoint this age range in comparisons.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I'd think they'd have to allow some leeway on that, then again if that's a factor the whole thing is probably already shut down.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I read somewhere that the NFL is likely going to quarantine a backup QB in case their QB room gets infected.

NFL has the advantage everywhere with being able to pull someone from the practice squad, someone floating around who was released, unsigned free agents, whatever.

Unless universities have a bunch of D-1 caliber and ready athletes walking around that aren't on the team it could get tricky if most of a position group is infected at the same time.

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

And this is obviously where the debate lies. To have no risk of spread you are talking eradication of the disease, right? Otherwise you are in a position of having to do what you can to stop the spread and test, but realizing that some spread could happen.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What are the current chances of that for each? I've tried the google and it doesn't seem to pinpoint this age range in comparisons.
Give me a second. I saw this the other day and need to find it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

So this isn't where I saw the information the first time, but it's the same data.

Based on that analysis, what is striking is that those under the age of 25 are at significantly lower risk of death from COVID-19 than of the flu. Under our assumptions, for example, school-aged children between 5 and 14 have a 1 in 200,000 chance of dying of influenza, but a 1 in 1.5 million chance of dying of COVID-19.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but isn't that why frequent testing is so important? Even if a player tests positive, it doesn't eliminate everyone in his direct circle (which would be the entire team, wouldn't it?) unless they also test positive.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron