SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Center for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield said in a Buck Institute webinar that suicides and drug overdoses have surpassed the death rate for COVID-19 among high school students. Redfield argued that lockdowns and lack of public schooling constituted a disproportionally negative impact on young peoples’ mental health.

May 18, 2020 -- Many readers say they have gained weight during stay-at-home orders due to COVID-19, two new WebMD polls find.

Among the 1,012 U.S. WebMD readers questioned, about 47% of women said they gained weight “due to COVID restrictions.” About 22% of men said they gained weight.

Just go coach some kids in a youth league and it will become very apparent that many more are completely out of shape then ever and have gained weight.

Coronavirus in Context: Study Shows Weight Gain During Lockdowns
WebMD's Chief Medical Officer, John Whyte, speaks with Ashley Koff, CEO of The Better Nutrition Program, and Anahad O'Connor, a New York Times Health Reporter, about our new study that shows weight gain during the pandemic.
ABOUT

In a separate poll of 900 international WebMD readers, they also reported weight gain. But it was more common in men, with 55% reporting they had put on pounds compared to 34% of women.

Otherwise use google if you have more quetions.

So people's habits of being inactive and overeating before all of this have made it worse? Shocking.

I didn't see anything in the article about how people were committing suicides because of masks.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
"Facts, we can't have facts here! Facts upset me" - madguy

I mean those arent really facts. Even that clownhall article says there isnt much data there. And comparing normal suicide rates to covid is an asinine comparison because that isnt the change (and note, even the normal number is well below covid's 6 month total)

Not to mention, the biggest thing that probably would cause suicide rates to go up is economic damage. Not isolation and masks. And that economic damage will keep occurring until we handle the virus better.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I haven't read a lot of background from other media sources on the play this fall or postpone. But I have felt all along that a decision to cancel fall football doesn't need to happen until 7-10 days before the first games. Hell, the CBB season was basically cancelled in less than 24 hours.

The Big 10 can move it's first games back to late Sept. Still time to play a 10 game season.

College campuses are just reopening. Let's see how that goes. If the last 5 months will be any indicator, probably better than 50% chance that most colleges send all students home.

There is some reason for optimism. Around 2% of incoming ISU freshman tested positive.

The main reasons I could see the need to cancel season now are:
  • Potential risk for myocarditis.
  • The player pushback on school Covid protocols and player revenue sharing. If players want to threaten action, the virus gives Presidents and AD's opportunity to make their point for existing model with some modifications. I don't think it's coincidence the Big10&Pac12 have been at the front of cancelling the season.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
That is a loaded question. Lets discuss this from another aspect as you have been saying in other posts that some are ignoring certain facts or opinions. For the population under 45 the amount of suicide by mental health issues created because of isolation and masks far exceeds those of Covid 19. As is the lack diagnosing systemic diseases because of backlogs created by isolation policies. An entire generation of youth are becoming more obese, mental health issues are increasing, and likely much more widespread child abuse that at any other time. The long term impact of the policies created by those who spread fear will be difficult to comprehend and likely by the time everything is done too late to help those in need.
Gotta link? I find that hard to believe. That means we would have 150000 more suicides than usual because of covid? Nah.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Most other countries don't even have college sports, do they? Kind of hard to make that claim.

No, other countries in europe have moved back to relative normal in a lot of facets of life. To try to act like we wouldnt at least be playing with no fans is nothing other than trying to avoid reality.
No they don't, which is why the argument that other countries are having sports back doesn't make sense. Because their sports are professional and don't have fans just like ours. Their sports are having to deal with positive cases just like ours are (outside of NBA, NHL, WNBA, and MLS).

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I haven't read a lot of background from other media sources on the play this fall or postpone. But I have felt all along that a decision to cancel fall football doesn't need to happen until 7-10 days before the first games. Hell, the CBB season was basically cancelled in less than 24 hours.

The Big 10 can move it's first games back to late Sept. Still time to play a 10 game season.

College campuses are just reopening. Let's see how that goes. If the last 5 months will be any indicator, probably better than 50% chance that most colleges send all students home.

There is some reason for optimism. Around 2% of incoming ISU freshman tested positive.

• The player pushback on school Covid protocols and player revenue sharing. If players want to threaten action, the virus gives Presidents and AD's opportunity to make their point for existing model with some modifications. I don't think it's coincidence the Big10&Pac12 have been at the front of cancelling the season.
Yep.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Are you talking in the US or for Iowa for urban vs rural? Where I'm at and most of the counties around me are 1% and lower for cases of population.

Kansas. The governor did a mask mandate. The rural counties ignored it, the urban ones, Wichita, Topeka, KC, followed the mandate.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
this is too simplistic. There are 32? NFL teams, on generally equal footing in terms of financials and governed by an organized and powerful single league, with an almost equally as powerful players organization.

there are what? HUNDREDS of FBS schools of vastly differing means, under a broad, weak umbrella (the NCAA), with no countering players group. Also most schools are linked to state governments and their whims.

Yeah comparing college to pro football just doesn’t work. Same sport, completely different structures. That’s why I’m hopeful the NFL can put something together. It won’t be anything close to normal but if they can get organized they have a chance.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Then take masks out. It is still mandated policies that cause isolation from others. I gave you the link and now you nitpick trying to discredit facts. I suspect if you and others spend as much time on here as you do it may not be a bad idea to get checked out yourself.

You said masks were a reason for suicide increases. The article you linked at good info about increased rates, but nowhere in there was there anything about masks.

Social isolation is a cake walk for me. There are many people that could work on the benefits of having some good time to work on themselves in their own space for actual self care. That's been a concern of mine for years and we're possibly seeing the results of our codependencies and unhealthy lifestyles. I guess you could call it personal responsibility falling through.

You're right about staying away from CF but nah I'm good and thanks for your concern and keeping tabs on me. Don't like it, put me on ignore.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

The bolded is the correct answer. The reason they aren't playing is because the players take all the risk and receive none of the reward. That's not a tenable situation, and schools wont budge on it.

It's not the unpaid players responsibility to bail the schools out of their financial mess, but the P5 schools aren't about to give the players any more rights. So here we are.

Reactions: Doc

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The bolded is the correct answer. The reason they aren't playing is because the players take all the risk and receive none of the reward. That's not a tenable situation, and schools wont budge on it.

It's not the unpaid players responsibility to bail the schools out of their financial mess, but the P5 schools aren't about to give the players any more rights. So here we are.

I think its a bit disingenuous to act like they arent compensated highly. Between the tuition, room and board, stipends, etc, all but an elite few of them are making far more than their actual market value, and often more than many are making outside of college.