Shutdown could affect Air Force v. Navy Saturday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Players at the academies are special cases in a lot of ways. Navy would be in the same situation if they were the ones traveling.

Correct, this is about the travel money and costs to fly the team from Colorado to the east coast. The provision passed yesterday pays the military staff, civilians and contractors in the military and I assume this would include the academy staff.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Correct, this is about the travel money and costs to fly the team from Colorado to the east coast. The provision passed yesterday pays the military staff, civilians and contractors in the military and I assume this would include the academy staff.

Not all civilians and contractors connected to the military are considered "essential" though. It all depends on how they are funded. I'm not sure where the cutoff ends though - like are the coaches allowed to come to work but not the trainers? It's confusing and I won't even attempt to figure it out.

On the flipside though, if there are any schools that could probably practice without missing a beat with no coaches/trainers/support staff, it is the Academies.

I think that Army at Boston College is in the same situation.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I don't think it pays the civilians and contractors. It pays "active-duty" military, but my understanding is as many as half of the civilians will go on furlough.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think it pays the civilians and contractors. It pays "active-duty" military, but my understanding is as many as half of the civilians will go on furlough.

I can answer that one. I work for the Army as a civilian, and I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get furloughed as part of the government shutdown. I, however, am getting paid in IOUs (which Dumb and Dumber informed us was as good as money). But yeah, some of my teammates, friends, and family members are furloughed. If this plays out like 1995, they will be reimbursed, but there's no guarantee of that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can answer that one. I work for the Army as a civilian, and I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get furloughed as part of the government shutdown. I, however, am getting paid in IOUs (which Dumb and Dumber informed us was as good as money). But yeah, some of my teammates, friends, and family members are furloughed. If this plays out like 1995, they will be reimbursed, but there's no guarantee of that.

Also a DOD civilian employee. I didn't get furloughed (yet). We have enough fiscal year 2013 funds carried over to pay us through the end of the week. Or, as several of us project managers here like to say, we are FTL and LTD. It's the Army and we love our acronyms.

BTW, it's Feeling The Love and Living The Dream and always used sarcastically. :smile:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL