Should the Super Bowl be played in cold weather cities or all NFL stadiums?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
So why is this Super Bowl being played in New York? Was it because of 9/11 or because of the new stadium?

Both, IIRC.

Also, just give it to Buffalo. Then have a winter where Lake Erie doesn't ice over right away, and have a fierce storm come through. Should drop about a foot of snow in the Southtowns (where the Ralph is). That will take care of it.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The game should be in the Rose Bowl every year.

Can't get better weather and it sure looks nice on TV. 100,000 people in a picture perfect venue.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The game should be in the Rose Bowl every year.

Can't get better weather and it sure looks nice on TV. 100,000 people in a picture perfect venue.

The League is essentially a cooperative organization of the 32 owners. I don't think they would much like none of them ever getting to host the event in their venues. If none of the owners like it the NFL doesn't like it.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The Super Bowl should be as neutral as possible. Weather should not become a factor because it is too cold, windy, snowing, any ice, etc. You want the players to be able to perform at the highest level possible. I'm not saying they should all be played in domes, but just stick to warm weather cities as much as possible.

I agree with this. Most of the season, whether it's football or baseball, is played in good weather. Everybody knows the worse the weather the more it's an equalizer, and I want to see the team with the most skill win. This should be especially true for the superbowl when basically the whole world is watching. And for a fan traveling to the game, who wants to pay thousands to hang out in bad weather and sit in the cold, maybe even a blizzard, in the middle of winter. The halftime entertainment is also a big deal that draws a lot of tv audience, and bitter cold and/or a blizzard would destroy a halftime show. Imo the super bowl should have more of a warm weather bowl game feel to it. It's a pure crap shoot playing it up north and it looks like we may luck out this year, maybe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know man. It's the Super Bowl. I want to see the players decide it outside of crazy adverse elements. If the weather is as it's predicted, I'm fine with this year. But if it were snowing or bitter cold? Wouldn't like it one bit.

I disagree. The Super Bowl is a playoff game. The other playoff games are played in cold conditions. This game can too. If people/fans attending the game don't like it, there would be plenty of dedicated football fans that would take their place.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I disagree. The Super Bowl is a playoff game. The other playoff games are played in cold conditions. This game can too. If people/fans attending the game don't like it, there would be plenty of dedicated football fans that would take their place.

I get your point and tend to agree, but it's not just another playoff game. It's a celebration of the season and there is a lot more involved then the two teams. Right or wrong, it's a spectacle for the big wigs to partake in.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
Places like Green Bay and Buffalo probably don't have the hotel rooms to host a Super Bowl. As a Packers fan I would love it, but I'm not holding my breath.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If regular season and playoff games can be played in cold, windy, rainy, snowy conditions, the Super Bowl should be too. It's a part of the game.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I agree with this. Most of the season, whether it's football or baseball, is played in good weather. Everybody knows the worse the weather the more it's an equalizer, and I want to see the team with the most skill win. This should be especially true for the superbowl when basically the whole world is watching. And for a fan traveling to the game, who wants to pay thousands to hang out in bad weather and sit in the cold, maybe even a blizzard, in the middle of winter. The halftime entertainment is also a big deal that draws a lot of tv audience, and bitter cold and/or a blizzard would destroy a halftime show. Imo the super bowl should have more of a warm weather bowl game feel to it. It's a pure crap shoot playing it up north and it looks like we may luck out this year, maybe.

What does this mean? The most skill to play in perfect weather conditions or the most skill to play in all weather conditions? Why should dome teams get the luxury of always getting to play for the championship in perfect or near perfect conditions which generally matches how they were built to compete in the regular season where northern outdoor teams don't have that luxury.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Weather is a part of the game of football. If not, the Bears deserve a redo of Super Bowl XLI.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
So why is this Super Bowl being played in New York? Was it because of 9/11 or because of the new stadium?
Its sad that New York gets to host it before Chicago or Green Bay, the two oldest NFL teams.
Green Bay is too small of a "city" by NFL standards to host the Super Bowl. The population of Des Moines is nearly double that of Green Bay. Good luck having amenities such as hotels to house everyone coming into a Green Bay hosted Super Bowl.

Soldier Field is the smallest NFL stadium, by capacity. The NFL requires a capacity of a minimum of 70,000 to host a Super Bowl. Soldier Field comes in at 61,500.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The Super Bowl should be played at the stadium of the team with home field advantage in the playoffs with real fans in the stands.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Put it in New Orleans every year, it's the perfect place for the Super Bowl. Also start the game earlier like they used to around 6pm et.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have read a couple of comments about hotel rooms in Green Bay, and I would have to agree. The one and only time I went to Lambeau to a game I looked for a hotel room from the stadium moving out to the west. The first one I could find with an opening was over an hour and a half west. Granted there might have been rooms to the east and this was Pack/Vikes but still, the Super Bowl is going to tax the room inventory much more than even a rivalry game.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I have read a couple of comments about hotel rooms in Green Bay, and I would have to agree. The one and only time I went to Lambeau to a game I looked for a hotel room from the stadium moving out to the west. The first one I could find with an opening was over an hour and a half west. Granted there might have been rooms to the east and this was Pack/Vikes but still, the Super Bowl is going to tax the room inventory much more than even a rivalry game.

There are hotel rooms in Lake Michigan? What a world we live in!

:psmile:

(It's like "The Night Chicago Died," and the east side of Chicago. Back in the bad old days. Back in the USA.)

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
What does this mean? The most skill to play in perfect weather conditions or the most skill to play in all weather conditions? Why should dome teams get the luxury of always getting to play for the championship in perfect or near perfect conditions which generally matches how they were built to compete in the regular season where northern outdoor teams don't have that luxury.

By skill I mean speed, strength, agility, ability to throw and catch a football, all of which are affected adversely by extremely cold temps and a slick or frozen playing surface. Even non dome northern teams play most of their games in good playing conditions. It used to be that football was played in the fall and basketball in the winter, but now they've extended the NFL play-offs and superbowl into the middle of winter. I want to see the biggest game of the year played in conditions where the players skills can be at their best and not affected by bad weather when possible. In the winter it's much more possible in a southern or west coast location.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Places like Green Bay and Buffalo probably don't have the hotel rooms to host a Super Bowl. As a Packers fan I would love it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Agreed. I think if they are going to include cold-weather venues, every team should have a shot to host. But, a lot of the small and mid-market teams don't have the capacity to host (stadium not included). I'd love to see my hometown Bengals get to host, but I don't think that will ever happen. At least the All Star game is coming back next year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It used to be that football was played in the fall and basketball in the winter, but now they've extended the NFL play-offs and superbowl into the middle of winter.

Its crept a bit later, but the last time the super bowl was earlier than January 20 was 1978. Its not like it wasnt winter during the super bowl\playoffs back then either.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The World Series is played outdoors even when East coast teams are in it in November. I don't see what the problem is.
Snow, ice, thunder snow in Jan/Feb. Nor'easter hurricane winds off the ocean. Cold practice. Lower ticket prices as people cancel. Have toi arrive two hours early for bag check. Brrrrrrrr, brrrrr, brrr