Should cell phones/ipods, etc be banned from use during school?

Do you agree?

• Yes!

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • No!

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
As a teacher, the problem with a "cell phone ban" is that it is almost completely impossible to enforce. Trying to ban them just sets up the school admin for meaningless/impossible battles. Lots more wrong with schools right now than kids texting each other during class.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
As a teacher, there are two sides involved here. No, there is no reason a student HAS to have a phone in the room. It is nice for them when they do little things like I had students today use them for (create a drawing of how to represent something) so they had a model to look at while they drew. At the same time, I have a lot of students get extremely belligerent and upset when I tell them to put their phones away during class because "I"m just texting my parents. Stop being a ****."

The easiest answer is to just not let them out at all since it isn't a necessity, but parents have complained that they have to call the office to get ahold of their kid as well. Both parents and kids don't realize how disruptive it is to have a student in the room being defiant because their parent called.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
As a teacher, there are two sides involved here. No, there is no reason a student HAS to have a phone in the room. It is nice for them when they do little things like I had students today use them for (create a drawing of how to represent something) so they had a model to look at while they drew. At the same time, I have a lot of students get extremely belligerent and upset when I tell them to put their phones away during class because "I"m just texting my parents. Stop being a ****."

The easiest answer is to just not let them out at all since it isn't a necessity, but parents have complained that they have to call the office to get ahold of their kid as well. Both parents and kids don't realize how disruptive it is to have a student in the room being defiant because their parent called.

Parents anymore are extremely pathetic. Your kids in ******* school...what could possibly be so important that you need to have their immediate attention?

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Parents anymore are extremely pathetic. Your kids in ******* school...what could possibly be so important that you need to have their immediate attention?
Since I'm a HS teacher, most of the time it's to tell them that they're at the school to pick them up so that the waiting time is minimized. It makes sense, but that's the reason I hear the most often.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Since I'm a HS teacher, most of the time it's to tell them that they're at the school to pick them up so that the waiting time is minimized. It makes sense, but that's the reason I hear the most often.

So parents text/call kids in the middle of class to tell them that they are there, and the kids can just then walk out?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

And as I mentioned before, a voice mail works. The parents know the classtime hours. Why disrupt the last ten minutes of the class with needless "I'm waiting out front for you, Susie" calls?

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
No, simply because instead of teaching the responsibility of knowing when it is and isn't appropriate to use your phone they're just going to "take them away." Use it as an opportunity to teach etiquette because no matter how hard you work to take them away the students will always have them.

Not to mention it's going to take once that Little Johnny is in an emergency and the school gets a frivolous lawsuit because Little Johnny wasn't allowed to have his damn phone.

I know when I was in high school the ladies in the office thought students having phones was great. Their time could be devoted to actual work instead of getting a call from a parent and having to take a note to the classroom.

^^ Winner.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Some good, some not so much. Encyclopedias are not the only books in a library, though. And I would still put more faith in Grey's or Bergey's than I would Web MD.

A question I posed earlier... Assuming you are not still a student, when was the last time you went to the library for research? When did you go to the library to look something up? Not looking for a book to read for pleasure but with the purpose of researching an answer for a question.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.

Why are kids so pathetic that they can't handle the responsibility of having a phone in their pocket during class? You're going to have to let them make their own decisions in life at some point. You can't take everything away that is a potential harm/distraction.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
So parents text/call kids in the middle of class to tell them that they are there, and the kids can just then walk out?
No, they can't just walk out. They do call/text during class to tell them to check out of the building during class though. That's what I was getting at.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
And as I mentioned before, a voice mail works. The parents know the classtime hours. Why disrupt the last ten minutes of the class with needless "I'm waiting out front for you, Susie" calls?
I'm not defending the reasoning, just stating why it's hard to police. Personally, I only have an issue if a student is using the phone while I'm talking. If they want to look something up pertaining to class, or ask me to use it during class and I agree to it, I have no issue.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Why are kids so pathetic that they can't handle the responsibility of having a phone in their pocket during class? You're going to have to let them make their own decisions in life at some point. You can't take everything away that is a potential harm/distraction.

I get what you're saying, but fact is, kids are not responsible. Hell, I'm 30 and only really became responsible 5 years ago. If a school can have a policy where cell phones can be kept in pockets with good results, then I see no problem letting them have them in their pockets. Fact of the matter is, if they are in the classroom, there will be problems. There is an easy solution to that.

Also, this is not a kid thing. I know of a lot of peoples whose employers do not let cell phones be brought into meetings, etc.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No, they can't just walk out. They do call/text during class to tell them to check out of the building during class though. That's what I was getting at.

Well Ive been out of high school for 11 years, and don't have kids yet, but I fail to see any good reason why a parent would need a kid to check out of the building during class.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Schools should be able to ban their use during school hours as they see fit.

We technically had a no cell phone durng school hours policy in my high school for a bit. (Though most teachers didn't really care in passing periods.) They later changed it to just banning it during classes. I didn't mind either rule at the time. (We were allowed to have phones, they just could not be taken out)

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Well Ive been out of high school for 11 years, and don't have kids yet, but I fail to see any good reason why a parent would need a kid to check out of the building during class.

My parents would call the elementary school for doctors appointments or give me a note before school, and I would have to go to the office to get a written permission slip to leave a class at a specific time during the day to go wait for my parents to pick me up. If my parents could let me know via text that they were waiting for me, it would have potentially minimized the amount of class time missed.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
Jesus ****** how old are some of you? Who cares if a 18 year old has their friggen phone out in between classes. People constantly complain school isnt preparing kids for college and the real world...news flash, babying them more isnt gona help/

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
My parents would call the elementary school for doctors appointments or give me a note before school, and I would have to go to the office to get a written permission slip to leave a class at a specific time during the day to go wait for my parents to pick me up. If my parents could let me know via text that they were waiting for me, it would have potentially minimized the amount of class time missed.

But you're still going to have to go to the office for the permission slip, etc. Sure, it might cut down on the amount of time you would be waiting for your parent, but if your parents are responsible enough to make sure they are there when they say they will be there and not keep you waiting, it shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron