Shots (confirmed) Explosions (unconfirmed) Watertown, MA

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I haven't read the full thread, but a question to the people saying they should have done this/shouldn't have done that. Were you preaching your views all day or just after you found out how it ended? It's pretty easy to nitpick decisions from your couch after the fact.

it's the same stuff that goes on in the "post game" threads.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
I haven't read the full thread, but a question to the people saying they should have done this/shouldn't have done that. Were you preaching your views all day or just after you found out how it ended? It's pretty easy to nitpick decisions from your couch after the fact.

All day.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How does reading the miranda rights to a dude that is essentially bleeding out and flashbanged work...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I picked my nits prior to the action tonight.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
How does reading the miranda rights to a dude that is essentially bleeding out and flashbanged work...
Why does everyone make a big deal of it anyway? What person over the age of 15 doesn't know that they have the right to remain silent? It's such a little thing yet everyone makes such a big Freaking deal about it. Miranda was a Dirtbag.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
12731702.jpeg

guy getting out of boat

12603197-essay.jpg

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Why does everyone make a big deal of it anyway? What person over the age of 15 doesn't know that they have the right to remain silent? It's such a little thing yet everyone makes such a big Freaking deal about it. Miranda was a Dirtbag.

I think the significance is, he is not protected by the Miranda rights, like everyone locked up at Guantanamo Bay.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So under the public safety clause that he didn't get merandized, I assume this is to allow him to talk freely and give him the opportunity it to alert the FBI of any other bombs? Even with this clause I can't believe this information could be used in court. So by telling the FBI of other bombs he is not incriminating himself. To me, that would be the only reason for that clause.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The public safety clause basically allows police to immediately question suspects and requiring them to answer questions relevant to imminent threats. So they could ask him where additional bombs are and he does not have the right to silence. Any questioning beyond that he would still have the miranda right to remain silent on.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
So under the public safety clause that he didn't get merandized, I assume this is to allow him to talk freely and give him the opportunity it to alert the FBI of any other bombs? Even with this clause I can't believe this information could be used in court. So by telling the FBI of other bombs he is not incriminating himself. To me, that would be the only reason for that clause.

The explanation that they gave on NBC last night was that they could do this initially and then read him his rights later. I would assume nothing prior to that would be admissible in court.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Protip: Don't criticize others while beginning your rant with "I haven't read the full thread." It makes you look pretty ****in stupid.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
The explanation that they gave on NBC last night was that they could do this initially and then read him his rights later. I would assume nothing prior to that would be admissible in court.

I have a feeling they may have enough evidence already that whatever he had to say after they caught him would not really matter anyway.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I have a feeling they may have enough evidence already that whatever he had to say after they caught him would not really matter anyway.

Probably, although having one of the suspects dead definitely makes the case tougher. It all depends on what type of a defense the suspect attempts. It is possible to imagine him claiming the brother built all the bombs, he thought they were smoke bombs/firecrackers etc. Very likely they have enough for serious criminal charges, but maybe not the really big federal ones if they want to seek the death penalty.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Probably, although having one of the suspects dead definitely makes the case tougher. It all depends on what type of a defense the suspect attempts. It is possible to imagine him claiming the brother built all the bombs, he thought they were smoke bombs/firecrackers etc. Very likely they have enough for serious criminal charges, but maybe not the really big federal ones if they want to seek the death penalty.

maybe they can get him for murder for running his brother over with the car

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Especially given the fact that the dead brother is the one who mysteriously left the country for six months. Still, you don't chuck bombs and have a shoot out with police and then get out of prison soon after.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I believe they said the public safety thing gave them 48 hours.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Was out to dinner with the husband last night at a steakhouse with a bunch of TVs. Restaurant broke into cheers when the capture news came on.

What shocked me was the guy looking in his boat. If I would have seen the blood, I would have been calling 911 and let them go look in the boat.