Shoe Advice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I recently picked up a game that involves a lot of running around a grass filed and has a lot of cutting and stop and go (hurling is the game, running is similar to soccer). As I played baseball most of my life, I went with a pair of baseball cleats by default but found out they weren't ideal.

I'm now looking at soccer and football cleats but I've never played either sport outside of pick-up games. The football cleats I've seen tend to only have two spikes on the heel. Is there a concern with turning your ankle when you plant on your heel? Soccer shoes tend to have four spikes on the heel, which would seem to be more stable, but they are all low-tops and I prefer 3/4 or high-tops. Thanks.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Sounds like soccer cleats would be best, or low football cleats. 3/4 and high tops aren't good options for anything involving cutting. Soccer cleats are extremely comfortable and light-weight.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If you want 3/4 or high tops, you will probably have to get football cleats. As far as the 2 cleats on the heal of football cleats, I've never rolled an ankle before. It obviously happens, but I don't know if it's more prevelant in football than it is in soccer, and if so, I doubt it's because of the 2 cleats on the heal. You can always tape your ankle, if you're really concerned about rolling or spraining your ankle.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I'd advise using a low-cut cleat, whether you choose to go with a soccer or football cleat. I've tried high-cut and low-cut boots for rugby (which has a similar amount of running to hurling), I found the low-cut gave me much more control over cuts and quick acceleration.

Hurling's a sport I found definitely be interested in learning more about at some point - how and where did you manage to find a club?

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'd advise using a low-cut cleat, whether you choose to go with a soccer or football cleat. I've tried high-cut and low-cut boots for rugby (which has a similar amount of running to hurling), I found the low-cut gave me much more control over cuts and quick acceleration.

Hurling's a sport I found definitely be interested in learning more about at some point - how and where did you manage to find a club?

Thanks for the info everybody.

Stumpy: Do you wear soccer or football cleats? I originally discovered hurling when I lived in SF ten years ago. It took me a decade but I found some guys from the East Coast that were starting a club here earlier this year. We were really lucky to find a guy from Dublin To be our coach. If you are interested I can send you some links.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Many "molded" football cleats come with four spikes on the heel, at least in Nike styles.

Speed TD 3/4 has four, but Speed D 3/4 only has two.
Speed TD has four, but Speed D only has two.
Super Bad has four.
Vapor has four.

Vapor and Speed TD are the true "skill" position shoes, Vapor being the lightest. Not quite as light as a soccer shoe but seems to give a little more stiffness/support than soccer cleats as well.

(TD is molded, D is detachable/can change from the factory issue plastic cleat to a metal tipped cleat)