SEZ information

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'll be interested to see what the AD wants to swap Rec Services land-wise. The Southwest Complex isn't nearly big enough and needs a couple million dollars of work to be able to host intramurals. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see RS tell the AD to go screw themselves unless there's a couple million dollars put on the table and some land.

In other news, it's a shame to see how crappy the Lied fields look now after a year of use by Rec Services.

I think that they give Rec Services the SW Complex plus that open field by Towers. Gonna have to be some demolition at SW, but Leath will probably cover that. Just a guess, but I think that part of the project will be a new entrance to Reiman Gardens right across from the SEZ with a green space/plaza between that and the stadium entrance. I expect them to put in a new practice field (FieldTurf) right where S1 sits. Then they pave the intramural fields between S. 4th and S. 16th for new parking (people displaced from S1, S2, S3). G7 and the practice field they use in the fall would still be there.

For the stadium, I just think that they need to get above 60k. That's not adding a bunch of seats and ISU has proven that they can fill it. Sounds like a new club area in between levels, which should be nice with the video board in the NEZ. I'm expecting a new smaller video board above the SEZ.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Just talked to one of the head honchos of Recreation Services. Right now the AD is requesting the whole intramural fields. Rec Services is willing to give up the far south end unless the AD can give them about 20 acres of field turf and lighting then they'll give up the whole thing. The Southwest Complex is getting a facelift from the money for the Cyclone Sports Complex with field turf, lighting, etc.

Sounds like the fields at Lied may be going to field turf as well in the near future to help with the load. Instead of intramurals going from 5-8 for example for flag football and softball they'd go 6-12 like hoops does and they'd be able to play in rain on an artificial surface.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Just talked to one of the head honchos of Recreation Services. Right now the AD is requesting the whole intramural fields. Rec Services is willing to give up the far south end unless the AD can give them about 20 acres of field turf and lighting then they'll give up the whole thing. The Southwest Complex is getting a facelift from the money for the Cyclone Sports Complex with field turf, lighting, etc.

Sounds like the fields at Lied may be going to field turf as well in the near future to help with the load. Instead of intramurals going from 5-8 for example for flag football and softball they'd go 6-12 like hoops does and they'd be able to play in rain on an artificial surface.

That'd be nice. I played an intramural football game on the old soccer field in the pouring rain last year. Didn't have any cleats and slipped and fell hard twice trying to make a cut. Had to go to the chiropractor for about a month to get my neck right.

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That's going to look great.

This picture shows a tunnel coming out of the lower deck, is that accurate?
Just to let you know that this picture is not exactly what is going to be done. That sketch was created several years ago when the plan was to enclose the south endzone along with redoing the east concourse concessions. I think the actual design will be much different than this design.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think that they give Rec Services the SW Complex plus that open field by Towers. Gonna have to be some demolition at SW, but Leath will probably cover that. Just a guess, but I think that part of the project will be a new entrance to Reiman Gardens right across from the SEZ with a green space/plaza between that and the stadium entrance. I expect them to put in a new practice field (FieldTurf) right where S1 sits. Then they pave the intramural fields between S. 4th and S. 16th for new parking (people displaced from S1, S2, S3). G7 and the practice field they use in the fall would still be there.

For the stadium, I just think that they need to get above 60k. That's not adding a bunch of seats and ISU has proven that they can fill it. Sounds like a new club area in between levels, which should be nice with the video board in the NEZ. I'm expecting a new smaller video board above the SEZ.

If they were to put in a new practice field where S1 is, I wonder if they would no longer need/use the field on the south end of G7.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
If the AD can actually pull off getting the intramuals lot for tailgating ISU will go from best tailgating in the Big 12 to best in the nation...I really mean that. I can't even imagine the demand for those spots directly across from JTS. With a tailgating culture like that you almost cushion yourself against bad football because people will continue to donate and buy season tickets just for the party. That already occurs to a certain point but it would be on a much larger scale. Would be awesome!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If the AD can actually pull off getting the intramuals lot for tailgating ISU will go from best tailgating in the Big 12 to best in the nation...I really mean that. I can't even imagine the demand for those spots directly across from JTS. With a tailgating culture like that you almost cushion yourself against bad football because people will continue to donate and buy season tickets just for the party. That already occurs to a certain point but it would be on a much larger scale. Would be awesome!

I have to agree. There's potential for so much parking there that even with what's being lost, we could increase our total available parking.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Those drawings are completely out of date...new one's will be even more awesome!

I think it may look a little different cosmetically, but given the short timeline, I don't anticipate them starting from a blank sheet of paper. I am pretty sure they've indicated there will be a club section under the stands, which does not appear in these drawings, so we can expect that to change, obviously. Additionally, these drawings included the Reiman Plaza concept on the south end, so I think the donation was given based on these drawings. I would not expect a radical departure from them. And I think they look great!

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
People who are worried we are overbuilding need to remember that at 60K we are really only adding about 3200 in total additional capacity (+5.6%). At 65K we are only adding 8200 (14%) capacity and with current demand and the fact we were already on the smallish side, those additions are not really that crazy.

Not to mention the student section will be expanded with the growing enrollment, so right there is probably about 3,000 more tickets sold.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody hearing what they will do with current SEZ season ticket holders?

Apr 19, 2006
That'd be nice. I played on the old soccer field in the pouring rain last year during a makeup game. Didn't have any cleats and slipped and fell hard twice trying to make a cut. Had to go to the chiropractor for about a month to get my neck right.

Well, what the heck was a band geek trying to play sports for?!?!?! :eek:

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Anybody hearing what they will do with current SEZ season ticket holders?

I would think they'll get a shot at some decent seats in the SEZ, but like anything else, it's going to depend on giving level as well. I would not be a bit surprised to see a reseating, but of course we are always at the mercy of the endless deal the AD gave people back in the 70s to get the stadium built.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
I would think they'll get a shot at some decent seats in the SEZ, but like anything else, it's going to depend on giving level as well. I would not be a bit surprised to see a reseating, but of course we are always at the mercy of the endless deal the AD gave people back in the 70s to get the stadium built.

What kind of deal do the original stadium donors from the 70's get? Are they allowed to pass this deal down to future generations or once they die is it over? Since the stadium is now almost 40 years old most of these people should be getting up there in age. How many of them are there and how many seats?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron