SEZ information

GWestCyde

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 16, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I heard from some people that Athletics told Recreation Services not to do any improvements/lighting of the softball fields east of Jack Trice (rec services was thinking about doing so to have more outdoor intramurals at night) because Athletics was probably going to purchase that land from them for more parking when the SEZ is finalized. Nothing really known for certain though

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I heard from some people that Athletics told Recreation Services not to do any improvements/lighting of the softball fields east of Jack Trice (rec services was thinking about doing so to have more outdoor intramurals at night) because Athletics was probably going to purchase that land from them for more parking when the SEZ is finalized. Nothing really known for certain though

That would make the most sense.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That capacity mentioned 60-65K includes 6K of north hillsides. We already have 46K actual seats, so NO we're not going to have anything close to your numbers with the new SEZ. Our average attendance the last few years has been more than 50K, so stop worrying.

You're about 4,000 long for actual seats currently.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
This could help parking a lot...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll be interested to see what the AD wants to swap Rec Services land-wise. The Southwest Complex isn't nearly big enough and needs a couple million dollars of work to be able to host intramurals. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see RS tell the AD to go screw themselves unless there's a couple million dollars put on the table and some land.

In other news, it's a shame to see how crappy the Lied fields look now after a year of use by Rec Services.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'll be interested to see what the AD wants to swap Rec Services land-wise. The Southwest Complex isn't nearly big enough and needs a couple million dollars of work to be able to host intramurals. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see RS tell the AD to go screw themselves unless there's a couple million dollars put on the table and some land.

In other news, it's a shame to see how crappy the Lied fields look now after a year of use by Rec Services.

I have little understanding of inter-department politics at ISU, but considering this project isnt just being done by athletics and is a 'whole university' project with the reimans, couldnt leath's involvement limit the ability of rec services to tell off the athletic department on this?

One thing i just now considered on parking thats slightly related (though the rec services land may not be where the solution to this potential problem is solved)... with the stadium potentially losing a couple lots, and with enrollment ever-expanding, the parking needing to be replaced might be a bigger issue than just gamedays, considering how many students have to park their cars at the stadium.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If anyone is interested I have very good info that students are staying where they are. Not moving to the SEZ

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have little understanding of inter-department politics at ISU, but considering this project isnt just being done by athletics and is a 'whole university' project with the reimans, couldnt leath's involvement limit the ability of rec services to tell off the athletic department on this?

One thing i just now considered on parking thats slightly related (though the rec services land may not be where the solution to this potential problem is solved)... with the stadium potentially losing a couple lots, and with enrollment ever-expanding, the parking needing to be replaced might be a bigger issue than just gamedays, considering how many students have to park their cars at the stadium.
I know the idea has been floated to use G7 for student parking and require vehicles to be moved like they are now so I don't see that as a huge issue.

I think the big kicker in all of this is are they able to find additional space for the football team to practice? I personally don't think they'll be able to but if they found a way to have all the practice fields around the stadium they'd have even more space over there to park/etc.

Regardless, there needs to be some infrastructure improvements if they're going to add additional traffic to an area that's already a mess on gameday.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Which Architect was chosen for the design?

About two weeks ago, the athletic department chose HNTB out of KC as the architect for the project. I do not know if they are working with Newman Monson Architects mentioned in earlier postings. The HNTB stadium projects are impressive:

National Football League[edit]

Minor League Baseball[edit]

College stadiums[edit]

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
If anyone is interested I have very good info that students are staying where they are. Not moving to the SEZ

That would make sense to me if premium seating is being added to the south end zone. I'm guessing the people paying for premium seats might not want the wild students around them.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Which Architect was chosen for the design?

503981.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron