Serious question: Are kids worth it?

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
The more my friends keep popping out kids, the more ******** I hear about all the negatives. My wife and I are in our late 20’s and are eventually planning on starting a family, but everything I hear sounds terrible. For the parents on here, would you do it all again?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Totally worth it but I didn't have my first until I was 40. There is no way I could have handled it though or even wanted kids in my late 20s.

The first few months are rough as the baby has a crazy sleep schedule. My wife and I had to take shifts sleeping the first 3 or 4 months but it's alot easier after that.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I suppose it depends on the type of person you are, but I would say having kids is the best thing that ever happened to me. You miss out on a few years of sleep, cut down on the F word by 90%, and eat a lot of shaped chicken nuggets, but it’s a pretty sweet gig!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Everyone says its different when they are your own. Plenty of people find other people's kids annoying.

All that being said, you don't have to have kids.

Reactions: CYDJ and pourcyne

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I think having kids reminds me a bit of playing high school football.

It looks really cool/fun (pre-kids). Then you realize how much time/effort/emotion/work it takes to be successful (kids esp small kids and you're not sleeping much). If you put in the time and effort in, it often pays off at the end of the day/on the field (teens/early adult kids).

There are no guarantees and nothing is certain, but I'd say most folks are thankful for making the choice to have kid(s). We have a larger than average family and we get comments from older folks wishing they had more kids like us. That being said, that is much easier to say later in life than when you have little kids and are feeling overwhelmed.

Maybe not the best analogy, but it seemed like it is in the ballpark.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
The more my friends keep popping out kids, the more ******** I hear about all the negatives. My wife and I are in our late 20’s and are eventually planning on starting a family, but everything I hear sounds terrible. For the parents on here, would you do it all again?

late 20's here. just had our first about 6 months ago. its certainly something. love my kid but it completely changes everything about your life and your relationship with partner. I would be ok with only having one but i fear i will be out voted on that. ha

• Agree
Reactions: simply1 and Angie

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We spent several years just being married without kids which was great to build a solid foundation without being tied down.

Having a kid changes everything of course, but I have no regrets and feel like I get much more enjoyment out of being a parent than the amount of work I put in (which is still a lot). I also find that the folks who constantly complain about the inconveniences/challenges also complain about most other things in their lives, so consider the source before letting it scare you away.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
We had them in our mid 20s. I don't regret the kids, but wish we'd had waited so our careers could have taken better shape. Now I want a career change but kids make that impractical.