Selling Ticket Advice

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I made it up high enough on the list this year to get MBB season tickets. I live far enough away that getting there for most of the weeknight games won't be possible (I'll get there for Iowa so sorry not available). So I'm wondering the best way to sell those tickets. I've got a little experience buying/selling through stub hub etc but very minimal and wanted to make sure I understood my options and had a couple of questions I'm sure people here could help with.

First I did some just preliminary looking at Stub Hub and other sites. When I tried posting the tickets it didn't give me an option for posting electronically. Most of the other seats listed, which based on section etc I assume were season ticket holders, were posted electronically. Anyone know if I need to do something special there?

Also what is the best site to use? I know there is a ticket exchange both here and through my cyclone account, but I'm guessing I'd have better luck with an option that has more visibility. (Yeah I know opposing fans may buy them, but they are weeknight games so that seems minimal). Regarding online sites what are people's advice on the best site to use?

tholder90

Aug 21, 2013
I made it up high enough on the list this year to get MBB season tickets. I live far enough away that getting there for most of the weeknight games won't be possible (I'll get there for Iowa so sorry not available). So I'm wondering the best way to sell those tickets. I've got a little experience buying/selling through stub hub etc but very minimal and wanted to make sure I understood my options and had a couple of questions I'm sure people here could help with.

First I did some just preliminary looking at Stub Hub and other sites. When I tried posting the tickets it didn't give me an option for posting electronically. Most of the other seats listed, which based on section etc I assume were season ticket holders, were posted electronically. Anyone know if I need to do something special there?

Also what is the best site to use? I know there is a ticket exchange both here and through my cyclone account, but I'm guessing I'd have better luck with an option that has more visibility. (Yeah I know opposing fans may buy them, but they are weeknight games so that seems minimal). Regarding online sites what are people's advice on the best site to use?
What section and row?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The ticket exchange on cyclones.com doesn't really get much attention. I don't think many people know it exists, and it's minimum price is higher than people will pay from some of these early season, or even conference, games.

Easiest way is the ticket exchange here, trade e-mails via PMs, money via PayPal, then transfer the ticket through your cyclones.com account. That works easily every time.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I would start here like others have said and do paypal ($) and e-ticket transfer tickets through Cyclone ticket account. Craigslist has worked for me as well (e-pay / transfer). Some don't like that though. What I have done to help minimize concern is once I have someone interested in tickets and a price is arranged, I will provide them with my contact info so they can get a hold of me (and know that it is legit). Upon receipt of funds, I will sent the tickets and everyone is happy.

I have tried StubHub, but don't prefer them (due to fees, hassle of using their site which isn't the most friendly and issues that can arise if you have tickets posted in more than one location - that is when the fees really add up). A lot of hassle for a $20-$25 face ticket.

As to the possible backlash for selling the tickets on here, I just ignore them. Haven't had really any issues getting the tickets I want to sell in the hands of someone that wants them (only able to attend about half of the home games due to geography, kid's schedules, etc).

At the end of the day, when you figure donation to just get the opportunity to purchase tickets, trust me, you are NOT "making any money" on the deal. At most, you are lowering your overall cost to see a few basketball games each season and providing others the opportunity to do the same.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Stubhub fees are ridiculous... but in all honesty the tickets on there trade at 50% higher values than I see on this site or others. Not worthwile to get ripped to pieces for asking market value for prices on here and don't have to have any interaction with the buyer.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks guys that makes sense. I think I'll likely list on stubhub now and as individual games get closer list here if needed. I doubt too many people here are thinking about February Tuesday night basketball tickets yet. Probably true on stubhub too but doesn't hurt anything to post them.

Any advice on why I can't list them electronically when I see other tickets for the same games listed that way?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
I use the Gametime app for buying tickets and I love it. I have zero experience selling tickets on it though.

tholder90

Aug 21, 2013
Thanks guys that makes sense. I think I'll likely list on stubhub now and as individual games get closer list here if needed. I doubt too many people here are thinking about February Tuesday night basketball tickets yet. Probably true on stubhub too but doesn't hurt anything to post them.

Any advice on why I can't list them electronically when I see other tickets for the same games listed that way?
Probaly could have had them sold by now for a profit if you’d just tell us where the seats are located and the price.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
List them on Stubhub. I love Cyclonefanatic but the ticket forum for basketball games can be a difficult place. Most of the frequent buyers are not donors so they don't fully realize that face value doesn't exactly represent your "cost" for the ticket.

Reactions: gilaclone