Security Cams

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I've got a Simplisafe home security system. Cheap, but gets the job done. They partner with Nest but don't offer any outdoor cams.

I have a Ring doorbell, which is kind of neat, but I wouldn't say it's a real high-quality product. Ring does have outdoor cams, including some that are powered by solar, which would be nice for the un-powered shed in the back of my yard.

Friend at work has Arlo and really likes it. Now I see Amazon has a system coming out in November. Starting with inside-only, but surely they'd follow-up with outdoor cams, don't ya think?

Kind of confused right now, whether I want to go full-on with the Ring ecosystem, which I'm not that incredibly impressed with, or go with something completely different. Or...keep waiting...

Any thoughts?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I have no desire for cameras inside my house. I'm only looking at outdoor cams and if anyone wants to go to the trouble of hacking them and staring at my driveway, go for it!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have no desire for cameras inside my house. I'm only looking at outdoor cams and if anyone wants to go to the trouble of hacking them and staring at my driveway, go for it!

I have the Arlo system exactly for this purpose, and it works fine. You just have to be careful with the sensitivity settings. They'll pick up on insects flying in the frame if you leave the setting too high. Occasionally during the day I'll get a notification on my phone when a stray cat or the neightbor's dog wanders on to the property.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't think I am at the security camera point yet but does anyone have any tips or reviews on good LED motion sensing lights?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have the Arlo system exactly for this purpose, and it works fine. You just have to be careful with the sensitivity settings. They'll pick up on insects flying in the frame if you leave the setting too high. Occasionally during the day I'll get a notification on my phone when a stray cat or the neightbor's dog wanders on to the property.

I used to have that problem until I invested in Ring's Ecoblast Landmine Security System

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1 and jbindm

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If you are into DIY, look into the BlueIris software. You can connect hundreds of different camera types to it. I have nicer wide range outdoor cameras and then cheaper 720p cameras inside the garage and basement patio doors.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was happy with Ecobee until they started trying to get everyone to pay a monthly fee. Keep this in mind when you buy a camera. Make sure you get something where you can self store instead of saving everything in the cloud.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron