SEC vs. Big Xii Football Challenge?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure I want Big12 teams traveling to SEC states. While Iowa is not a shining beacon of hwo to handle this, the SEC territory is handling this much worse.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm not sure I want Big12 teams traveling to SEC states. While Iowa is not a shining beacon of how to handle this, the SEC territory is basking this much worse.
Well, 4 Big Xii teams are already in an SEC State (Texas), so...we might already have enough issues of our own.

Of course, my thought was if things were settled enough to play. Sadly, if we continue along this trajectory - your point is very valid, and there will be no games at all. So, I was simply thinking about the scheduling options in a glass is half full point of view.

Not going to be any games, but I do like the idea of an SEC vs. Big Xii Football Challenge!

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
SEC teams with an open date Sept 12:
Miss St. & Auburn. (Assuming the ACC cancels all non-con games, MSU scheduled to play NC St, and Auburn scheduled to play UNC)
Every other SEC team has a game Sept 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaCyclone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If we have a season I am to the point let's throw conferences out the window for this season and make a shortened season based on geography. Let's say we play an 8 or 9 game season against Power 5 conference schools, logical schools for us to play where you could bus to and limit travel would be:

Iowa
Illinois
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Kansas
Kansas State
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Making the home/away schedule with that would be interesting. Let's assume Iowa would be a road game because they would host us already if we played this year and we would have to split the 2 Kansas schools for a road trip so that leaves 2 more road games that if I had to pick which schools I would prefer to have home field advantage against it would come down to Wisconsin then either Minnesota or Nebraska.

I would love to be a fly on the wall of Pollard's office these days as you know every scenario out there has probably been discussed.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
God no I don't want to play an SEC team. Throw Western Illinois or Indiana State on the schedule

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If we have a season I am to the point let's throw conferences out the window for this season and make a shortened season based on geography. Let's say we play an 8 or 9 game season against Power 5 conference schools, logical schools for us to play where you could bus to and limit travel would be:

Iowa
Illinois
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Kansas
Kansas State
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Making the home/away schedule with that would be interesting. Let's assume Iowa would be a road game because they would host us already if we played this year and we would have to split the 2 Kansas schools for a road trip so that leaves 2 more road games that if I had to pick which schools I would prefer to have home field advantage against it would come down to Wisconsin then either Minnesota or Nebraska.

I would love to be a fly on the wall of Pollard's office these days as you know every scenario out there has probably been discussed.

Never happen, but it should. The Big 10 teams are never going to give up that big fat 10 contract and the money they receive from it per school. Since the network still will be getting that cash at a discounted rate with no nonconference game, if they play a season, they will not be sharing it with other conferences and do not care what happens to them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Death rates per 100,000 that are better (lower) than Iowa:

Alabama
Florida
South Carolina
Missouri
Kentucky
Arkansas
Tennessee
Texas

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/all-metrics-per-state

Cases are skyrocketing in some of those states, as are hospitalizations. Deaths are a lagging indicator but come next (theyre already on the upswing). With most of these states also unlikely to shut back down again, its going to get a lot worse in many places but especially the south in a hurry

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Cases are skyrocketing in some of those states, as are hospitalizations. Deaths are a lagging indicator but come next (theyre already on the upswing). With most of these states also unlikely to shut back down again, its going to get a lot worse in many places but especially the south in a hurry

Yeah we will see how it turns out but so far the states I’ve listed have done a good job of minimizing deaths from covid.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Yeah we will see how it turns out but so far the states I’ve listed have done a good job of minimizing deaths from covid.

Not everybody is counting the same way though. For example, aren't pneumonia fatalities in Florida skyrocketing? I think I saw like 5,000+ more than typical. I'm guessing those are mostly COVID cases and would by themselves more than double their total - and put them above Iowa's rate. Some states might be over counting too which also makes comparisons between states hard. As we get deeper and deeper into this I'd like to see more comparisons of overall deaths compared to historical averages.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It feels like a waste of eligibility to have a shortened season.

Excellent point. I've wondered about players getting redshirts if it gets cancelled or if they choose not to play, but if they only get 5 games in, that's it?

I guess that can happen due to injury but what's the protocol for if the season is cancelled?

kcbob79clone

Keeping up the scrutiny on places where the cases/death toll are/is rising is a good thing. Some current perspective is also a good thing:

COVID Deaths/100k residents:

NYC 269
Miami-Dade Co. 42
LA Co. 38
Maricopa Co. (Phoenix) 25
Harris Co. (Houston) 10