SEC vs. Big Xii Football Challenge?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Keeping up the scrutiny on places where the cases/death toll are/is rising is a good thing. Some current perspective is also a good thing:

COVID Deaths/100k residents:

NYC 269
Miami-Dade Co. 42
LA Co. 38
Maricopa Co. (Phoenix) 25
Harris Co. (Houston) 10

New York's deaths peaked about a week or two after their cases did.

Let's give those other places a few weeks here. If the the death rate drops, that's great although hospitals are still overwhelmed.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

kcbob79clone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, New York just had the first day without any deaths so this is great news.

They've kept things closed down and are just reopening so we'll see what happens.

Thing with that is that there's no way there still weren't people gathering in groups, visiting one another, etc. just like anywhere else with more strict rules.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Turns out, that, yes, the SEC is pursuing this.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/7/13/21322635/sec-football-covid-scheduling-changes-2020

The Big 12 / ACC Alliance: Sources at multiple schools have confirmed a desire among ADs and the league to preserve as much of the non-conference schedule as possible. Multiple outlets have reported the ACC is considering cancelling its non-conference games, effectively wiping out most of the SEC East’s rivalry week slate (Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, Florida vs. Florida State, Kentucky vs. Louisville, South Carolina vs. Clemson). The SEC is trying to maintain those games with the ACC while also crafting an agreement with the Big 12, in hopes of giving every SEC program one non-conference game.

Reactions: CloneJD

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for pulling this back to the topic at hand. Co-vid is serious, but it seems like there are OTHER threads devoted to discussing the validity of numbers & stats!! In regards to the OP's suggestion of an SEC-Big XII challenge, right now I would not be as keen on that idea - especially in light of other conferences who may not be as solid top to bottom as the Big XII (B1G, cough, cough). That said, I trust CMC and the Athletic Department in their scheduling decisions if, indeed, we do have FB in the Fall.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I remain skeptical about any collegiate fall football but rather expect to see a conference-games-only spring season. That gets us a vaccine this winter, hopefully, and some degree of normalcy.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for pulling this back to the topic at hand. Co-vid is serious, but it seems like there are OTHER threads devoted to discussing the validity of numbers & stats!! In regards to the OP's suggestion of an SEC-Big XII challenge, right now I would not be as keen on that idea - especially in light of other conferences who may not be as solid top to bottom as the Big XII (B1G, cough, cough). That said, I trust CMC and the Athletic Department in their scheduling decisions if, indeed, we do have FB in the Fall.

I would love to see Texas vs Texas A & M
Bama vs OU
LSU vs ISU
OSU vs Auburn
KU vs Mizzou

KSU already has Vandy Scheduled.
Baylor vs Mississippi
Tech vs MSU
TCU vs Georgia
WV vs Tennessee or Kentucky

Reactions: kentkel

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would love to see Texas vs Texas A & M
Bama vs OU
LSU vs ISU
OSU vs Auburn
KU vs Mizzou

KSU already has Vandy Scheduled.
Baylor vs Mississippi
Tech vs MSU
TCU vs Georgia
WV vs Tennessee or Kentucky

I'd rather have ISU play a Kentucky.

LSU would be a mess.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Update from SEC commish Sankey after yesterday's meetings. Sounds like a decision from the SEC won't happen until the end of the month:

Any plans for the upcoming college football season as it relates to the schedule won’t be made until late July.

Sankey, after a full day of meetings with the league’s athletic directors in Birmingham, plans to take as long as possible before a plan is devised...

What we‘ve identified is an opportunity in late July for an important check-in to see what our public health reality is.”

We are not at that destination and a number of our colleague conferences are not at that destination, so the Big Ten made its decision,” Sankey said of the conference-only format. “We have no common games with the Big Ten Conference this year, just one of the realities in our schedule. The impact of their decision is indirect.(")

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron