SEC Network launching in 91 million homes, largest network launch in cable history

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Re: SEC Network launching in 91 million homes, largest network launch in cable histor

Wonder if btn paved the way or sec just approached it differently.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Re: SEC Network launching in 91 million homes, largest network launch in cable histor

From what I understand, ESPN completely owns this network, so you have the complete backing of that powerhouse pushing it to bundle with their other products. For instance, it's rumored that as part of Direct TV taking the SEC network that Direct TV is going to get Watch ESPN mobile app soon.

But you look at the PAC 12 network and it's at 60 million beginning year #3. Three differences?
-The PAC completely owns their network while Disney completely owns the SEC network.
-Look at the content as well- The PAC12 network has almost all garbage FB games, but the SEC is getting some good games on their network.
-Third, the average Joe in the southeast cares a lot more about their college teams that the average fan in the west.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Think what they could have got if they played 9 conf games. They have it all, deceptively easy schedules, loads of media rights cash and free pass to win national titles with openly professional qbs.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

How many people get OWN? How many watch it? SEC network will get ratings August-December, good luck after that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

From what I understand, ESPN completely owns this network, so you have the complete backing of that powerhouse pushing it to bundle with their other products. For instance, it's rumored that as part of Direct TV taking the SEC network that Direct TV is going to get Watch ESPN mobile app soon.

But you look at the PAC 12 network and it's at 60 million beginning year #3. Three differences?
-The PAC completely owns their network while Disney completely owns the SEC network.
-Look at the content as well- The PAC12 network has almost all garbage FB games, but the SEC is getting some good games on their network.
-Third, the average Joe in the southeast cares a lot more about their college teams that the average fan in the west.

Watching football is as close as the average Joe in the southeast gets to kollege.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

How many people get OWN? How many watch it? SEC network will get ratings August-December, good luck after that.

I'm not sure that ESPN cares whether people watch December thru August. They've got this channel on most basic lineups now so the subscribers are locked in unlike the BTN or PAC12 network that are on sports packs or higher packages. ESPN will make their money year round.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'm not sure that ESPN cares whether people watch December thru August. They've got this channel on most basic lineups now so the subscribers are locked in unlike the BTN or PAC12 network that are on sports packs or higher packages. ESPN will make their money year round.

Ill watch just about any conf network a few months a year, 90% of directv channels I get I watch zero.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013

Mediacom still doesn't have it... FML...

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

BTN is on basic cable. That's their whole business model. Force everyone to pay a hefty fee every month whether they watch it or not.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines

Worth noting SECnet is only on the basic Direct package in SEC states as of now. TBD where it goes everywhere else.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011

I believe SECn is going to be like BTN......on basic tier with conference footprint and sports tier everywhere else.

I've read SECn will be in 91 million homes and they are hoping for 75 million subscribers. BTN is in roughly 90 million homes and has 60 million subscribers.

Big Ten owns 49% of network (Fox owns 51%). With ESPN owning 100% of SECn it will be interesting to see how revenue is distributed.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Think what they could have got if they played 9 conf games. They have it all, deceptively easy schedules, loads of media rights cash and free pass to win national titles with openly professional qbs.

And ESPN giving them every outlet of their media empire to keep dominating recruiting. Get ready for a 50yr stretch where the SEC wins something like 40 out of 50 NT's. This 7 out of the last 8 business is chump change. (Only slightly joking)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

They have only 45 games out of their 450 events. That is less than four a week for a big conference. BTN may stiull be betetr to see all the games on the same day. Of course, some would say one SEC game is bett5er than two BTN games.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I have to think it is a matter of time.

There are 56 SEC games with their current schedule. They have to parse those out over 12 weeks or so (since they start playing conference games week 1) and multiple networks - ESPN, ESPN2, SEC, CBS, etc.

Getting 7 more games to add to their inventory by adding another conference game would have to be worth good money to those networks, and by extension, their own schools.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

Worth noting SECnet is only on the basic Direct package in SEC states as of now. TBD where it goes everywhere else.

This is the key. Just because it's available to 90 some million, that doesn't mean they all choose the expanded package to get it. Pac 12 net is available to 60 mil, but only 11 mil get it. BTN is available to 90 mil, but only 57 mil get it. Same with SEC net. It will be on basic in SEC territory, but what about other parts of the country?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I really hope that SEC network is on a higher tier on Directv so I don't have to pay for that crap like I do for BigX. Here is a great article showing why the SEC sucks and just an ESPN hype machine. http://totalfratmove.com/why-the-sec-is-********/

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I was going to start a new thread on banning myself from watching ESPN but since the SECN is practically the same thing I'll bump this post. Did anyone else watch the ESPN preview for the Big XII? Disgusting if you ask me. They spent half of the time bashing the conference for not having a championship game. Did not cover about half of the teams and were just plain oblivious to most of the conference. It's so obvious they are just marketing their new product it makes me want to puke. I will watch games on the channel and then avoid like the plaque.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I was going to start a new thread on banning myself from watching ESPN but since the SECN is practically the same thing I'll bump this post. Did anyone else watch the ESPN preview for the Big XII? Disgusting if you ask me. They spent half of the time bashing the conference for not having a championship game. Did not cover about half of the teams and were just plain oblivious to most of the conference. It's so obvious they are just marketing their new product it makes me want to puke. I will watch games on the channel and then avoid like the plaque.

I don't have cable, so I didn't see it. However, if it was truly as bad as you report, I think this would legitimately warrant a complaint to the Big 12 office, as this is doing a disservice to the conference. I've emailed the Big 12 communications staff before on a couple of issues, and they have been responsive to the issues I brought up.

The Big 12 doesn't post email addresses on the website that I can find, but if you open the conference release below, you can find the email for the director of communications right at the top.

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/mbasketball/Big_12_MBB_Update.pdf

And please, if you do write him, be respectful and clear. It would also be helpful if you can give specifics, rather than just generalities.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011

I have SECtv on Directv channel 611. I look forward to watching more football games, but I assume the big ones will be on network TV. After football, no reason to watch. I would rather watch SEC than the little ten sisters of the poor football.

Getting Watch ESPN would be a nice addition.

Help Support Us

Become a patron