SEC National Title Game Sucks

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
After a week of losses (ISU FB, ISU Men"s BB, Chiefs) it is time to throw sand at the SEC.

How about the National FB tournament becoming a "Tournament of Champions" (only). To compete a team must win their conference, or be 11-0 as an independent. Thus forcing the SEC "super conference" to legally split into two conferences so both Alabama and Georgia can compete without having played each other during the season.

I don't plan to watch the SEC "national title game," as I could care less about another SEC game featuring teams that had already played each other in a blow-out (41-21). I wonder how many fewer viewers the game will have without at least one team from another conference. ESPN/ABC is probably crying in their beer over this matchup.

Are you going to watch?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll probably watch and root for Georgia. And while it's an easy system to criticize, I think it's pretty obvious the two best teams are playing each other. It's hard to get too fired up about criticizing a system that produces that result.

Last edited:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'll probably watch and root for Georgia. And while it's an easy system to criticize, I think it's pretty obvious the two best teams are playing each other. It's hard to get too fired up about criticizing a system that produces that result.
Feels increasingly like we’re selling out the rest of the sport to get this one game every year. The only game that matters. I’d rather have an occasional title game mismatch (and if the conference title game is an indicator, this game is also a mismatch) than the current system that makes NY6 bowls an afterthought.

To the OP, I won’t be watching. Really lost interest in the national sport after Game of the Century Bama-LSU part two. If Cincy had made it, sure.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
E$PN got their wish when the kept Alabama and Georgia apart in the semis. No way should Georgia been the #3 seed after the beatdown they took in the SEC championship game. Cincy and Mich should have been the #2 and #3.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have yet to sit down and watch the championship game. I flip over to check out the score and watch a few plays but that's about it.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I honestly haven't watched a title game since Oregon's last appearance. I get more than my fill of CFB following 2 teams. If they aren't involved I'm not making time for it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
How do we know Georgia would've killed Cincy? Didn't Alabama already kick Georgia's a@@?

Bama is just going to kick their a@@ again I'd assume. Not watching.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
E$PN got their wish when the kept Alabama and Georgia apart in the semis. No way should Georgia been the #3 seed after the beatdown they took in the SEC championship game. Cincy and Mich should have been the #2 and #3.

Why would ESPN or fans want to see an immediate rematch of any conference title game in the CF Playoff's first round? I would hope the committee would avoid such situations. Based on what happened on-field last Friday, just proves the 2 best teams are playing.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Saban has gotten how many coaches fired? Guy is the GOAT when it comes to college football.
Is what it is.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
After a week of losses (ISU FB, ISU Men"s BB, Chiefs) it is time to throw sand at the SEC.

How about the National FB tournament becoming a "Tournament of Champions" (only). To compete a team must win their conference, or be 11-0 as an independent. Thus forcing the SEC "super conference" to legally split into two conferences so both Alabama and Georgia can compete without having played each other during the season.

I don't plan to watch the SEC "national title game," as I could care less about another SEC game featuring teams that had already played each other in a blow-out (41-21). I wonder how many fewer viewers the game will have without at least one team from another conference. ESPN/ABC is probably crying in their beer over this matchup.

Are you going to watch?
FTR, I am a Conference Champions only guy, and I was rooting for Michigan to beat Georgia. Alabama vs. Michigan would have been classic!

So, who should SEC and Cotton Bowl Champion Alabama play now? Big Xii Champion Baylor? B1G Champion Michigan? ACC Champion Pittsburgh? Pac-12 Champion Utah? Sun Belt Champion Louisiana? I suppose Baylor would be the best choice of the other P5 Champions. At least, they won their Bowl Game.

Last edited: