Season preview from the athletic

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Having worked my way through the whole thing now, I’ll say that this is easily the most thorough and accurate preview piece I’ve seen. About the only name I saw that he missed was safety/Star Mason Chambers.

By Max Olson, who tweeted about visiting Ames a couple weeks ago, so he talked to the coaches in person. There are overall comments, a position by position review, and sections on the schedule and recruiting. It’s really a long and thorough read.

Picking one straw out of the haybale, I found this comment by CMC most interesting. The former portion is something I’d never heard him say before, about TE Easton Dean.

”I think he’s got really high-end potential,” Campbell said. “He’s looser, longer and more athletic than Charlie. And Charlie is a damn good player, but this kid’s got a chance to be really good.

There’s a similar quote about Corey Suttle and JaQuan Bailey, but I’ll let you find that yourself.

Also, Jon Heacock was quoted more than once about how the starting defenders will be better players with reserves taking a bigger percentage of the snaps.

I like it.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
“He doesn’t give a **** about recruiting rankings. He just wants to go out and get football players,” the coach said. “That’s what he’s doing and it’s awesome to see. He’s doing it the way they did it in Iowa City. They recruit a body type and recruit a certain guy and they get them in there and develop them and train the **** out of them. The best thing that Matt Campbell did was he got (strength and conditioning coach) Dave Andrews, too. Dave does a good job, and that was a huge get.”

amen brotha

Reactions: ThePUNisher96

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
love the atheltics write ups

great article

go subscribe if you haven't. their material outside of just iowa state is great.

Love what CF does, but sometimes it’s nice to have an outside/national perspective sometimes. You do have to take the bad with the good, but it’s still high quality.

Their pro sports (and now Olympics) coverage is great.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Love what CF does, but sometimes it’s nice to have an outside/national perspective sometimes. You do have to take the bad with the good, but it’s still high quality.

Their pro sports (and now Olympics) coverage is great.

just being the big college football fan i am i get my worth out of it.

nfl is great too

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Having worked my way through the whole thing now, I’ll say that this is easily the most thorough and accurate preview piece I’ve seen. About the only name I saw that he missed was safety/Star Mason Chambers.

By Max Olson, who tweeted about visiting Ames a couple weeks ago, so he talked to the coaches in person. There are overall comments, a position by position review, and sections on the schedule and recruiting. It’s really a long and thorough read.

Picking one straw out of the haybale, I found this comment by CMC most interesting. The former portion is something I’d never heard him say before, about TE Easton Dean.

There’s a similar quote about Corey Suttle and JaQuan Bailey, but I’ll let you find that yourself.

Also, Jon Heacock was quoted more than once about how the starting defenders will be better players with reserves taking a bigger percentage of the snaps.

I like it.

He was much more specific this time, but after Easton's first spring, (back when we were just learning he wasn't going to be a QB) he said something along the lines that he was going to become the greatest TE in ISU history by the time he leaves. Hasn't really said anything about him since as far as I know.

Good to know he's still on track!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

I like it.

I love watching good defenses and I think the defense may be the surprise of this years team. Ironically, if that is correct, it will likely manifest itself in better offensive numbers due to less pressure on the Offense and better starting field position. I just think the depth on defense will be better than it has been under Heacock and they are just now fully comfortable with his schemes.

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
Yeah I agree with others here saying that the Athletic is really worth it if you follow any sorts of sports. If you are only an Iowa State fan and don't care about any other team at all, then it might not be worth it, but they have good coverage of most any sport. They also have deals regularly for cheaper subscriptions you can keep an eye out for.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Not sure how many of you are subscribed, but The Athletic has been putting out really in depth previews for every P5 team, and several G5 teams as well. I haven't read through but yet, but the title is quite promising!

just read this and came back here to post. It was a great read! very well done. One of the reasons I subscribe to the Athletic is some of the great pieces on Iowa State. This did not disappoint.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I love watching good defenses and I think the defense may be the surprise of this years team. Ironically, if that is correct, it will likely manifest itself in better offensive numbers due to less pressure on the Offense and better starting field position. I just think the depth on defense will be better than it has been under Heacock and they are just now fully comfortable with his schemes.
I'm an optimist but the one thing that we don't know about depth-wise is pass rushing. If McDonald gets hurt I don't know if we have anybody else that could come close to picking up that slack. We could blitz more often but that would really affect the way we would play defense. This being said, this team isn't missing much on the two-deep depth chart.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Alright I'm ready for September now

tenor.gif

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm an optimist but the one thing that we don't know about depth-wise is pass rushing. If McDonald gets hurt I don't know if we have anybody else that could come close to picking up that slack. We could blitz more often but that would really affect the way we would play defense. This being said, this team isn't missing much on the two-deep depth chart.
The quote in the article I referenced from CMC said that Corey Suttle is a pass rusher like JaQuan—only longer.

Between him, Enyi and Zach Petersen ramping up their pass rush, and Blake Peterson getting a chance, I think we’ll be okay.

And they can always toss J.R. Singleton or Howard Brown in inside next to Isaiah Lee just to wreak more havoc.

Come to think about it, in the Spring Coach Veidt did talk about Mike Rose ramping up his game by rushing the passer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron