Season Ends Strong with Post Season Bid -->2019 Discussion

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211781704

For being a 3rd place team, ISU didn’t get much love from other coaches for the all conference teams with just two players, Schaben and Lazard. Enna probably has the biggest gripe for not making one of the teams. Holthaus to a lesser extent for the freshmen team.
So glad to see that Grace made the first team too, as she was a powerhouse and was deserving. Hillegas still ended #2 in total digs and likely would have been LOTY had she not been replaced. I thought there were a couple of times during the season that Holthaus should have gotten Freshman of the Week in the Big 12. She has been a quality freshman and could have been put on the Freshman team easily. I think this is the first year in a long time that we didn’t have a player on the Freshman Team.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
ISUs best years in volleyball were 2008-2012. Despite 13 losses, the made the Elite 8 in 2008. The next four years were single digit losses two sweet 16s and another elite 8 that went to the wire. The common thread wa All-American setters. Kaylee Manns in 2008-09, and Alison Landwehr in 2011-12. 2010 had nine losses, the lowest place in conference (3rd) and a first round NCAA loss. That was Alison's sophomore year when she was finding here way. I hope we see that kind of improvement from Piper in her last two years.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISUs best years in volleyball were 2008-2012. Despite 13 losses, the made the Elite 8 in 2008. The next four years were single digit losses two sweet 16s and another elite 8 that went to the wire. The common thread wa All-American setters. Kaylee Manns in 2008-09, and Alison Landwehr in 2011-12. 2010 had nine losses, the lowest place in conference (3rd) and a first round NCAA loss. That was Alison's sophomore year when she was finding here way. I hope we see that kind of improvement from Piper in her last two years.
I think Piper has had the best season at setter since Landwehr left the program but as you point out, it wasn’t quite at an all conference or all American level but she appears to be capable of getting there.

I am most concerned about OH. ISU’s best teams have also had at least two All Conference type OHs. Holthaus could end being one but are there others on the projected roster capable of getting to that level?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bradley up next and this may not be that season ending game. But only in her second season MVC Coach of the Year Carol Price-Torok is an up-and-comer from my reading. Their team has a few Illinois recruits otherwise pretty diverse. Top two for Bradley in kills are under 6'0 and they lost to UNI 3-0, whom we dispatched 3-0 in Cedar Falls. Bradley also lost to Drake.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Bradley up next and this may not be that season ending game. But only in her second season MVC Coach of the Year Carol Price-Torok is an up-and-comer from my reading. Their team has a few Illinois recruits otherwise pretty diverse. Top two for Bradley in kills are under 6'0 and they lost to UNI 3-0, whom we dispatched 3-0 in Cedar Falls.
Speaking of UNI, they lost to Pepperdine last night in the NCAAS by two points in the 5th set. Baylor did advance by beating Hawaii in five sets while Texas swept SFA.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
NOW LISTED AT 6 PM.
FIRST LISTED AS 1200 AM ONLIN SPORTS INFO MAKING LOTS OF LISTING ERROR LATELY SHOWING GAMES AT 600 WHEN REALLY AT 630

Last edited:
  • Informative

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Speaking of UNI, they lost to Pepperdine last night in the NCAAS by two points in the 5th set. Baylor did advance by beating Hawaii in five sets while Texas swept SFA.
Baylor takes Oregon to five sets at Eugene but loses the last set by two points. Texas sweeps both matches to advance to the Sweet 16.

Six B10 teams and four P12 teams go to Sweet 16. Seeded teams eliminated are Creighton, USC, Pitt and UCF. Unseeded teams advancing are Washington, San Diego, Michigan and Florida.

• Informative

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
It would be nice to see us go and win this entire thing. That would take a little bit of the sting out of this season. Not all of it but injuries really put an end to this thing before it could begin. Still are not firing on all cylinders yet either. Piper has gotten a lot better this season so there is growth there, long may it continue.

• Agree

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
We will face UNLV/Portland winner-they play tomorrow night. Otherwise where and when is not known (at least by me).

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
I think it should be an important lesson for coaching staff. If there is an issue and you are aware of it, there should be more consequences beyond mandatory sanctions. IMO, players clearly violating rules should then have team sanctions as well and not be allowed to start as soon as they are eligible again. I have been a Grace fan. I was also a big Cam Lard fan. Prohm addresses problems and those kids are held accountable and to high standards or they don’t play. I am now a Michael Jacobson fan. Hannah did great in the middle tonight. Way to step up!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron