Season Ender: Five questions for the offseason

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good article. Only mild disagreement for me would be Tre Jackson. I think he absolutely could take the next step, and while green this year, performed admirably for a true freshman forced into a key role. Adding more threats next year will help take the pressure off him, and I think he can come into his own (he's already there on defense IMO).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I 100% disagree with the blurb about Prohm wanting his teams to be tough and defensive.

Defense rankings according to BartTorvik:
Prohm:
2019-2020: 148
2018-2019: 54
2017-2018: 111
2016-2017: 48
2015-2016: 77

Compare that to Hoiberg, who was not at all known for defense:
2014-2015: 61
2013-2014: 71
2012-2013: 130
2011-2012: 58
2010-2011: 86

Depending on how you look at it, Prohm’s teams were either similar, or on average, worse, on defense than Hoiberg’s teams.

In fact, it seems Prohm’s teams have trouble with the most basic of defensive concepts, boxing out and rebounding. Simply put: Prohm’s teams are NOT defensive minded. Let’s stop that narrative once and for all.
Wow! What that points to is a lack of an identity! Sometimes okay, sometimes not. That resonates through every aspect of the program, from the possession level, to practice, to roster construction.

But it can get better! Look at Scott Drew. Coaches can improve. I think an assistant change would help, too. If Prohm can get some help, we improve with a better coaching and better roster construction next year, and we'll be back in two years!

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
\

Only Jamie knows, but one would think that another year next year like this past one, and not only is he on the hot seat, he is deep fat fried.

Its all on Prohm and the kids.
It's all on Prohm. The kids are unpaid, amateur student athletes. He's the one at the tippy top of the program getting paid a fat check. It's on him.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
My questions will everyone be alive by next season or is this the end of the world as we know it?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Curious if there are any rumblings about possible de-commits from the incoming freshman class? I sure hope not but after how this season went that seems like a legit concern that 1 or more may reconsider their choice. I would not be shocked if Lewis and/or Griffin leave for more PT elsewhere. I would sure hope you could offer a starting spot and immediate playing time to a stud juco or grad transfer after the mess we just watched play out as Solo and Jackson seem to be about the only 2 hold overs that will have a starting spot and likely Foster will have to start out of necessity too.

It is not as easy to get out of a LOI as it simply decommitting.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
My guess is that we'll have only one guy transfer. Hoping we can bring in one grad transfer and one JUCO that can be impact players. Agree with CW that it's a tall order, but we do know Steve can recruit.

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
It's all on Prohm. The kids are unpaid, amateur student athletes. He's the one at the tippy top of the program getting paid a fat check. It's on him.
But the Kids play the game. It's 90% on them to win games

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I totally agree with the point that we need to be hitting JUCO's hard. We are a down program and we need guys who will be at ISU more than a year and its unrealistic to expect freshman to be starters immediately. I think we will have 3 scholarships available this spring and we need to target a PG, 3 point shooting wing and rebounding machine post.

As much as needing a talent infusion the staff needs to change. It might take a change in staff- but the culture of the program needs to change. IMO 80% of our ability to be an NCAA tournament team next season falls on the staff and not talent infusion. Coach Campbell preaches attention to detail and process- those same concepts have to infused by Prohm & staff.

How we play offense and defense needs to change. The game is shifting to more physical play and controlling the boards is critical. Elite team shoot a high % of 3's AND control the boards.

IMO our offensive sets are stale and too similar. Running a 1-4, PNR and weave all involve movement around the 3 point line, but very little motion toward the basket. How many times this year did we successfully execute a back-door or alley-oop? Our offensive sets too often put only one player in offensive rebounding position.

Defensively, we are also predictable. We switch just about every screen, even some times off the ball. TOUGH defenders learn how to fight through screens and their teammates help. Also, playing zone can be a momentum breaker. Not saying we need to be a primarily zone team, but when a team goes on a run- Prohm needs to have zone as an option. Our guards also have to learn how to play on-ball defense!! IMO that falls on coaching.

• Informative
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
"We know what Prohm wants it to be. Toughness. Play some defense. Space it out offensively and push tempo." If this is what Prohm wants his program to be then he is doing a terrible job of coaching and recruiting to make it happen. I keep hearing this from Prohm and sports writers; however, how many times have we seen his teams play this way. ISU might be the softest, least discipline, and worst defensive team in the Big 12. Just saying this over and over does not make it true.

While I don't disagree with you, the whole "they need to get older" is a pretty big piece of the puzzle that isn't getting factored in.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Technically we’re still the reigning Big 12 Tournament champs

I thought about that my friend and yes were are the reigning big 12 tourney champs until we crown a new one....It will stick in the Kansas Craw....Until they win it next year?.....Which is questionable at best and remember GO Cyclones!

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I totally agree with the point that we need to be hitting JUCO's hard. We are a down program and we need guys who will be at ISU more than a year and its unrealistic to expect freshman to be starters immediately. I think we will have 3 scholarships available this spring and we need to target a PG, 3 point shooting wing and rebounding machine post.

As much as needing a talent infusion the staff needs to change. It might take a change in staff- but the culture of the program needs to change. IMO 80% of our ability to be an NCAA tournament team next season falls on the staff and not talent infusion. Coach Campbell preaches attention to detail and process- those same concepts have to infused by Prohm & staff.

How we play offense and defense needs to change. The game is shifting to more physical play and controlling the boards is critical. Elite team shoot a high % of 3's AND control the boards.

IMO our offensive sets are stale and too similar. Running a 1-4, PNR and weave all involve movement around the 3 point line, but very little motion toward the basket. How many times this year did we successfully execute a back-door or alley-oop? Our offensive sets too often put only one player in offensive rebounding position.

Defensively, we are also predictable. We switch just about every screen, even some times off the ball. TOUGH defenders learn how to fight through screens and their teammates help. Also, playing zone can be a momentum breaker. Not saying we need to be a primarily zone team, but when a team goes on a run- Prohm needs to have zone as an option. Our guards also have to learn how to play on-ball defense!! IMO that falls on coaching.
You could have just send we need to be good at everything, because that's what you listed.

Offense:
-Physical inside presence
-Elite shooting
-Motion with lots of cutters and offensive rebounding but also people shooting 3s.

Defense:
-Quick on ball
-Physical on ball
-Zone
-Control rebounding

It all seems so simple

• Funny
Reactions: Pat

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
You could have just send we need to be good at everything, because that's what you listed.

Offense:
-Physical inside presence
-Elite shooting
-Motion with lots of cutters and offensive rebounding but also people shooting 3s.

Defense:
-Quick on ball
-Physical on ball
-Zone
-Control rebounding

It all seems so simple
Or just do basketball better :p

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I actually think KU and their current roster construction is basically what Prohm wants ISU to be (and we were that last season). He wants to run that 4/1 four guard system, like the one with Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Burton, and Young.

1 = PG who runs the offense but can also score and defend 1-4
2-4 = rangy wings who can shoot, create their own shot, and switchable on defense
5 = traditional big man operating 1v1 with space on the block

He wants the 4/1. Even the PG is a notional player in that system, and what really matters is having enough interchangeable, "positionless" swingmen to play 1 through 4 who can switch to kill the opposing PnR game but not end up creating mismatches.

NWB
Haliburton
THT
Shayok
Jacobson

...was the same idea. Kansas is doing the same with all of their guards/wings and putting a dominant big man in Azubuike to abuse somebody 1v1 in the paint.

The archetypes of these guys are comparable, even if KU is obviously more talented. We had the personnel to run that last year with "1-4" positionless guys like Weiler-Babb, Haliburton, Shayok, and Horton-Tucker around, but we did not this year.

• Winner
Reactions: Stereotype

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I 100% disagree with the blurb about Prohm wanting his teams to be tough and defensive.

Defense rankings according to BartTorvik:
Prohm:
2019-2020: 148
2018-2019: 54
2017-2018: 111
2016-2017: 48
2015-2016: 77

Compare that to Hoiberg, who was not at all known for defense:
2014-2015: 61
2013-2014: 71
2012-2013: 130
2011-2012: 58
2010-2011: 86

Depending on how you look at it, Prohm’s teams were either similar, or on average, worse, on defense than Hoiberg’s teams.

In fact, it seems Prohm’s teams have trouble with the most basic of defensive concepts, boxing out and rebounding. Simply put: Prohm’s teams are NOT defensive minded. Let’s stop that narrative once and for all.

He WANTS a tough, defensive team.
Nobody claimed he was good at coaching it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron