SCOUTING REPORT: Tyrese Haliburton

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
His vision is the best I have seen from an ISU recruit since Tinsley.
tenor.gif

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Oh, boy. I think you're going to get some disagreement on that.

I know people love Morris, and I do too but Morris is more of the steady, make the right pass guy. Very intelligent, knows the offense inside and out and knows who to get the ball to but not the flashy passer and not going to risk making a pass if it could lead to a turnover. That is why I think coach gave him the Lonzo comparison. Of course he isn't as good as Lonzo but like a poor man's Lonzo.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know people love Morris, and I do too but Morris is more of the steady, make the right pass guy. Very intelligent, knows the offense inside and out and knows who to get the ball to but not the flashy passer and not going to risk making a pass if it could lead to a turnover. That is why I think coach gave him the Lonzo comparison. Of course he isn't as good as Lonzo but like a poor man's Lonzo.

I was thinking more along the lines of Royce White. He could be a high wire act sometimes, but he had uncanny court vision.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
w14Cy8.gif

this is still one of the best passes I've ever seen happen live. Every single thing about it is insanely difficult. Slowing down momentum to stop and catch the ball, jump forward to grab it and in mid air still be able to release the pass, get hit on the release, bounce pass past an outstreched hand 30+ feet down the court, into a perfect strided layup.

Idc what you say, that is as premier of Point Guarding as you will see when it comes to passing

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I was thinking more along the lines of Royce White. He could be a high wire act sometimes, but he had uncanny court vision.

Oh dang. Can't believe I didn't think of White. I guess because i was thinking of guards but yeah White had amazing vision and some great passes.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I'm jazzed for ISU to have a 6'5 guard at the point of attack. Think of how disruptive this guy will be on the defensive end, especially in trap situations, and how nasty he'll be offensively.

Like whenever we get an excellent recruit, in my mind I project out 2 or 3 years and imagine what a beast these guys will be for us. Haliburton is one of those types of players to me. I really can't wait to see how coach molds this kid, because physically he has all the tools + length.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

I knew it would be crazy to write that, but.... I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a similar thought watching him pass.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
His ball handling isn't Big 12 ready. Luckily, he has over a year to get it ready.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
w14Cy8.gif

this is still one of the best passes I've ever seen happen live. Every single thing about it is insanely difficult. Slowing down momentum to stop and catch the ball, jump forward to grab it and in mid air still be able to release the pass, get hit on the release, bounce pass past an outstreched hand 30+ feet down the court, into a perfect strided layup.

Idc what you say, that is as premier of Point Guarding as you will see when it comes to passing
I think it is THE best pass I've ever seen.

Reactions: srjclone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
The promising thing is that Prohm see's him as a PG. If there is any position I trust Prohm evaluating talent at, it's PG

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
How does he compare to Diante? They seem like similar builds.

If memory serves, Garrett was an inch shorter at 6'4" but a fairly similar athlete, and also from Wisconsin. As a comparison between the two (keeping in mind that I've only seen a few highlight tapes of Haliburton) I would say Garrett had a little tighter handles coming out of high school. But Haliburton has a little better outside shot (Garrett's shooting got much better over the years, especially as a senior with the Mayor.) It is hard to gauge passing on a highlight reel (ie: how many of those no-look passes end up in the third row?) but it does look like Haliburton is a little more of a creative passer; for whatever that is worth.

Defensively I really have no idea, through it seems like Haliburton may be a little more aggressive at going for blocked shots. Keep in mind that that doesn't necessarily mean he is a better defender. Just really can't tell much about defense from highlights.

Now for a PSA: In case Haliburton doesn't come in and average 10 ppg and 25 mins, remember that Diante didn't play a whole lot as a freshman, even though the team was terrible (under .500) and forward heavy (Rashon Clark, Craig Brackins and Wesley Johnson all on the team) at the time with pretty sub-par guard play (pretty sure Bryan Peterson was in front of him on the depth chart?). Yet Garrett turned out pretty alright for us in the end.

Reactions: Cyrok

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron