cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
A lot of trashing of smaller schools academically going on here. There are good and bad teachers in all schools. Our kids go to a smaller high school in a rural area, and ACT scores have ranged from 33-36 for four different boys so far. My sister keeps telling me how her suburban Chicago kids went to a high school listed as one of of the best in America, and both kids had 24 on the ACT. And when she would ask my husband or one of my kids to help her son with his math homework over the phone, somehow it would always be because he got the "bad" teacher in one of the supposedly best high schools in America.

Teachers, parents, and students all play a role academically. Small and rural doesn't always equal bad. Big and suburban doesn't always equal good.

This, this cannot be stated enough

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Teachers, parents, and students all play a role academically. Small and rural doesn't always equal bad. Big and suburban doesn't always equal good.
There's a lot to be said about student and parental expectations when it comes to academic achievement at any high school. No question.

Not every player at Alabama will become a Hall of Famer, and some player from Akron or another small university can outperform those from a large, traditional P5 university. But, a player from Alabama will likely have a leg up on most players from Akron in many circumstances.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
A lot of trashing of smaller schools academically going on here. There are good and bad teachers in all schools. Our kids go to a smaller high school in a rural area, and ACT scores have ranged from 33-36 for four different boys so far. My sister keeps telling me how her suburban Chicago kids went to a high school listed as one of of the best in America, and both kids had 24 on the ACT. And when she would ask my husband or one of my kids to help her son with his math homework over the phone, somehow it would always be because he got the "bad" teacher in one of the supposedly best high schools in America.

THIS X 1000.

My small rural school had it's problems, whatwith old text books, far less class availability, and mediocre teachers. But even looking at some of the DSM schools, I'm not sure I'd rather have gone there. :confused:

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
THIS X 1000.

My small rural school had it's problems, whatwith old text books, far less class availability, and mediocre teachers. But even looking at some of the DSM schools, I'm not sure I'd rather have gone there. :confused:

Our little old school beat Ames head to head in the Science Bowl one year. Kids of a bunch of profs versus kids of a bunch of "hayseeds," lol.

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I did a suburban school and a small school. The suburban school was a whole different order of competence from the small one.
The small one really didn't have any business calling itself a school. Just a place where teens spent the day before drinking the night away.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Found this to kind of bring home the point on there being no teacher shortage:

Give the politicians, lobbyists, and policy wonks that shill for the education establishment extra credit for their success in spreading and milking the myth that we have a teacher shortage in Oklahoma. They could teach a master class on how to deceive with numbers. We shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves, however, they are pulling off this con all over the country.

Here’s how it works. Remember that every year, the education establishment’s first priority is winning across-the-board salary increases. How can you convince people we don’t pay all teachers enough? You argue that salaries are too low to attract people into the profession.
http://journalrecord.com/2015/04/29/right-thinking-there-is-no-teacher-shortage-opinion/

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Ames lost >20% enrollment???
Between 10-20%, but yea much of this has to do with the way the boundaries are drawn. If you live north of Bloomington road (by the new wallaby's location), where much of the growth in Ames is occurring, you are in Gilbert school district. A fair number of parents choose to open enroll to Gilbert as well, for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. This despite Ames consistently being ranked as the best public school in the state. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
Found this to kind of bring home the point on there being no teacher shortage:

Give the politicians, lobbyists, and policy wonks that shill for the education establishment extra credit for their success in spreading and milking the myth that we have a teacher shortage in Oklahoma. They could teach a master class on how to deceive with numbers. We shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves, however, they are pulling off this con all over the country.

Here’s how it works. Remember that every year, the education establishment’s first priority is winning across-the-board salary increases. How can you convince people we don’t pay all teachers enough? You argue that salaries are too low to attract people into the profession.
http://journalrecord.com/2015/04/29/right-thinking-there-is-no-teacher-shortage-opinion/
Sorry dude, but that is just nice political garbage from someone who ok with making arguments about something he has no background in. Believe it if you want to, it is a free country. However, if you want the real story, don't read propaganda on either side, go talk to the Iowa Principals who are trying to find people even somewhat able to do the job. Positions that used to have 50 candidates twenty years ago, became 20 candidates ten years ago, and now VERY routinely have 0-3 candidates, and the 3 are folks who were fired somewhere else, or not certified. I have heard that it is very common in urban cities (Phoenix, LA, LV ) to now recruit teachers from the Philippines, because they will otherwise have no teachers in front of kids in dozens and dozens of classrooms. So it is definitely a problem in Iowa, but not just in Iowa. The political right sees things skewed one way, the left another, but how about if we ignore the politicians and just stick to reality? Actual people in your community. If you live in one of Iowa's urban areas, you may hear that I am off base and hiring teachers is ok, because, as noted by many, they just recruit from smaller districts (the farm team, literally). But talk to anyone from the smallest 300 districts in the state, and you will find a different story. You want a job, or want your kids to get one? Major yourself, or have your kids major in Ag. Ed., Science or Math Ed., Spec. Ed. or actually nearly any secondary education major except Social Studies or PE. They will have districts recruiting them and have their choice of many many jobs. Why?? Because there is a shortage, regardless of the BS political rhetoric. Any principal or superintendent in the state of Iowa can tear Andrew C. Spiropoulos' arguments to shreds, not based on philosophy or his ruminations while sitting in a posh law office, but on practical day to day experiences. Iowa educators from many of your home towns are advertising and recruiting until the cows come home, and still coming up short. As an example of what I am talking about, in the Andrew C. Spiropoulos' business world, having 800 openings with 40000 people employed is just fine and dandy. In Tulsa, OK, 100 openings means that at any one time, there are 2000-3000 students (At least!!) not learning nearly as much as they should be learning. If the 100 opening are secondary teachers, the impact could be somewhere 10,000 and 15,000 students!!! No exaggeration!! I fully expect Andrew C. Spiropoulos' next guest editorial will be to criticize the Tulsa district for student test scores failing to live up to his expectations. I wonder why that would happen????? Useless politicians and PAC organizations anyway.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
There is a no shortage, sure there are a lack of candidates in rural areas mostly western Iowa but that's mostly because there is a lack of people in general and not many people want to move where they know no one. Is there a shortage in areas like special ed, you bet there is and that likely wont ever change because not many people want to teach in that area, its difficult and the paperwork is horrendous. But for areas where there is a great population there is more than enough candidates for every field just because there isn't 100 people applying and now there are just 30-50, that's still a surplus because there still are a lot of people unable to get teaching jobs.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
you have a dont tread on me flag as avatar.

not sure if youre helping youre case.....

Fellow rural school grad, eh???
vauEUgn.gif

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math