Scheduling agreement with Northern Iowa

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Can we replace Iowa with UNI for a new version of the Cy-Hawk game each year? Cy-Panther game? Just kidding. On serious note, why is the game never held at the UNI dome whenver ISU or Iowa play against UNI. I know it is a smaller venue by far, but you think the Panthers should get to have a home game against ISU or Iowa every once in the while.

Wow, Meth use is really out of control in this state.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I bet his mouth doesn't stay shut. As long as Farley has his sights set on being the next Iowa coach, he'll be running his mouth against ISU, regardless of what the outcomes of the games are.

If he really wants to be the next Iowa coach he better leave UNI for an FBS school tomorrow. No way the pride of Iowa fans will accept hiring an FCS coach, even if he were the most successfull FCS coach ever, as the HC at Iowa.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I bet his mouth doesn't stay shut. As long as Farley has his sights set on being the next kIowa coach, he'll be running his mouth against ISU, regardless of what the outcomes of the games are.

Totally agree. I think we just helped save their football program.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's not the "playing" UNI part that bothers me, it's the "paying" UNI part. I'm sure ISU is paying UNI handsomely to play all those games in Ames, and in return, UNI's coach takes shots at ISU in the press.

I agree with this to an extent, but it also makes him look like a pathetic moron when ISU beats the #2 team in the nation :)

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Terrible decision, and the WIU game last weekend proved it.

The biggest argument in favor of UNI was a good take at the gate. We have filled it up this year for Tulsa and WIU. If we had played UNI last weekend instead of WIU how many more fans could we have crammed in there? I'm guessing less than 1000. Big deal.

How about cost. It doesn't sound like we are getting a special deal for playing UNI instead of a SDSU or WIU. Throw this one out as well.

Finally, let's talk about buying a win. Talk all you want about how we shouldn't be at a point where we need to worry about losing this game, but we are. UNI is one of the best FCS programs in the country, and they view this as a rivalry game. We should have lost to them last year, and that was a bowl team that went on to beat an OSU team that should have played for a national title. They gave Iowa and Wisconsin tough games this year. Playing a body bag like WIU gives us the opportunity to work out issues and get some playing time and experience for our bench guys. This is something that will pay dividends for the rest of this year as well as upcoming seasons. I don't see our 3rd string playing in the 3rd quarter of a UNI game anytime soon.

5 or 10 years ago, this game was a good move for us based on the finances of it. With our attendance trends basically erasing that benefit, there is nothing to be gained for us in this deal at all.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Can we replace Iowa with UNI for a new version of the Cy-Hawk game each year? Cy-Panther game? Just kidding. On serious note, why is the game never held at the UNI dome whenver ISU or Iowa play against UNI. I know it is a smaller venue by far, but you think the Panthers should get to have a home game against ISU or Iowa every once in the while.

Because UNI makes more money by not playing ISU and Iowa at the Dome...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's economics at work.

We can pay UNI the same as WIU to come in and get their *** handed to them (we should expect this from now on under CPR). The difference is UNI actually brings fans that pay for tickets and concessions.

I like paying UNI, but I'm not opposed to cupcakes, either.

As far as bringing people that pay for tickets and concessions, WIU essentially did when ISU fans bought those seats. That argument can go either way.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
I like this game in general, but I doubt that we can beat them bad enough to get our 3rd and 4th string guys 20+ minutes of playing time like we did last weekend. I bet those young guys loved being out on the field and that helps moral and it gives the coaches some game tape on them to work with. I would like to see a game like last weekend every year and UNI doesn't fill that role.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Terrible decision, and the WIU game last weekend proved it.

The biggest argument in favor of UNI was a good take at the gate. We have filled it up this year for Tulsa and WIU. If we had played UNI last weekend instead of WIU how many more fans could we have crammed in there? I'm guessing less than 1000. Big deal.

How about cost. It doesn't sound like we are getting a special deal for playing UNI instead of a SDSU or WIU. Throw this one out as well.

Finally, let's talk about buying a win. Talk all you want about how we shouldn't be at a point where we need to worry about losing this game, but we are. UNI is one of the best FCS programs in the country, and they view this as a rivalry game. We should have lost to them last year, and that was a bowl team that went on to beat an OSU team that should have played for a national title. They gave Iowa and Wisconsin tough games this year. Playing a body bag like WIU gives us the opportunity to work out issues and get some playing time and experience for our bench guys. This is something that will pay dividends for the rest of this year as well as upcoming seasons. I don't see our 3rd string playing in the 3rd quarter of a UNI game anytime soon.

5 or 10 years ago, this game was a good move for us based on the finances of it. With our attendance trends basically erasing that benefit, there is nothing to be gained for us in this deal at all.

As others have stated, hopefully this agreement is forward thinking and there will be room for more than 1000 additional fans for UNI in the future. Let's hope.

My main issue with the agreement is schedule variety. Season ticket prices are going to continue to go up. How long are people going to keep increasing their donation to see ISU play nearly the same schedule every year. It would be nice to be able to bring in a new team every now and then to keep peopel interested.

Another thing, I completely disagree with people who thought the WIU game was boring. I loved seeing the backups get in there are make some plays. It was probably more fun for me because I follow recruiting pretty closely and I am very interested in seeing the younger guys get PT.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I bet his mouth doesn't stay shut. As long as Farley has his sights set on being the next Iowa coach, he'll be running his mouth against ISU, regardless of what the outcomes of the games are.

I bet you are right. I just hope that if in the future CPR has UNI on the ropes, he doesn't extend the same mercy he gave WIU last Saturday.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
UNI SHOULD be a cupcake for us every year. Every FCS team should be a cup cake for most of the BCS schools. Some years might be harder than others depending on how good we are but like it's been already said, if we lose we have no one to blame but ourselves. It's not like we're playing them every year either.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I won't complain about this until we lay an egg and have to hear UNI fans proclaim that they are a "real" big time university. If we lose, it's ISU's problem, but I'll be highly annoyed when UNI thinks they're big time. (I have some distant family that're big UNI fans, and it annoys the hell out of me when they try to put UNI in the same category as ISU and Iowa.)
But if we can take care of business as we should every year and pound them and their idiot coach, then I'm not complaining too much. Other than the lack of variety in scheduling.
You look at it like a game that improves our schedule over a team such as WIU, but this isnt basketball, strength of schedule isn't nearly as important as total wins. I guess I'm indifferent.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
If he really wants to be the next Iowa coach he better leave UNI for an FBS school tomorrow. No way the pride of Iowa fans will accept hiring an FCS coach, even if he were the most successfull FCS coach ever, as the HC at Iowa.

Pretty sure Ferentz came from Maine...which is FCS.

Also, for those of you who are complaining about UNI and how only UNI benefits, you realize that something like 3 of the top 10 are UNI games. Say what you want about UNI fans being "purple hawkeyes", but they come out every time these two teams play. Its good for the gate at ISU, its good for the state and its good for the sport.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I won't complain about this until we lay an egg and have to hear UNI fans proclaim that they are a "real" big time university. If we lose, it's ISU's problem, but I'll be highly annoyed when UNI thinks they're big time. (I have some distant family that're big UNI fans, and it annoys the hell out of me when they try to put UNI in the same category as ISU and Iowa.)
But if we can take care of business as we should every year and pound them and their idiot coach, then I'm not complaining too much. Other than the lack of variety in scheduling.
You look at it like a game that improves our schedule over a team such as WIU, but this isnt
basketball, strength of schedule isn't important in any way whatsoever. I guess I'm indifferent.

Fixed that for you.

Honestly, at first I was not happy, but then I realized that the odds are in 8-10 years UNI might not be that good any more and it is good for attendance. Especially because these games will be played with a completed SEZ.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I just can't believe that people actually care about what Farley has to say at all. Some people are getting way too worked up over those comments.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Pretty sure Ferentz came from Maine...which is FCS.

Also, for those of you who are complaining about UNI and how only UNI benefits, you realize that something like 3 of the top 10 are UNI games. Say what you want about UNI fans being "purple hawkeyes", but they come out every time these two teams play. Its good for the gate at ISU, its good for the state and its good for the sport.

The attendance thing really doesn't matter any more. We show up for every game in huge numbers. We don't need UNI for the attendance.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Western Ill game is a perfect example of why we don't need to schedule UNI that much. 4th highest attended game for WIU? We don't need the purple hawks to sell out. Id rather have the easy win over a no name FCS team

I'm hoping by 2019 we have a few more seats to sell so this series helps assure a sell out with the larger capacity.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
UNI SHOULD be a cupcake for us every year. Every FCS team should be a cup cake for most of the BCS schools. Some years might be harder than others depending on how good we are but like it's been already said, if we lose we have no one to blame but ourselves. It's not like we're playing them every year either.

I think there are different types of cupcakes. Western Illinois was a delicious, fresh from the oven, covered in melting cream-cheese frosting, sprinkles on top, get the reserves plenty of playing-time, cupcake. UNI is a healthy "cupcake" that your girlfriend wants to try out of one of her annoying magazines that combines vegetables and quinoa and, "hey it's organic!", and you bite into it and find a pebble, and your starters have to play the whole game, type of cupcake.

For those who mentioned that this really does take away variety in our schedule, I think that's a valid complaint. Only one game each year might be a new opponent. It is nice to see something and someone different.

I'd be interested to get an FCS team from Texas/Florida/California up to Ames to increase exposure in our recruiting areas.

Reactions: cyhiphopp