SBN ISU Football Article

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Excellent article. Their article on their projection methodology is fascinating as well..

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...24/2017-college-football-rankings-projections

Just to rank our games in difficulty based on their table...

88% - UNI
84% - Kansas
83% - Akron
54% - Iowa
51% - WVU
47% - Texas Tech
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

WVU and Texas Tech on the road for a bowl game, assuming we beat Iowa at home, is going to be a difficult task to make our way up to six wins.

Maybe one of those plus a home upset is more the ticket.

I would love to go 4-0 to start over UNI, Iowa, Akron, and Texas.

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
Excellent article. Their article on their projection methodology is fascinating as well..

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...24/2017-college-football-rankings-projections

Just to rank our games in difficulty based on their table...

88% - UNI
84% - Kansas
83% - Akron
54% - Iowa
51% - WVU
47% - Texas Tech
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

WVU and Texas Tech on the road for a bowl game, assuming we beat Iowa at home, is going to be a difficult task to make our way up to six wins.

Maybe one of those plus a home upset is more the ticket.

I would love to go 4-0 to start over UNI, Iowa, Akron, and Texas.

The way I see in there are three groups. You never beat all the teams you think you will. You have to steal one from the top group.

Must will all 3
88% - UNI
84% - Kansas
83% - Akron

Must win 2
54% - Iowa
51% - WVU
47% - Texas Tech

Must win 1
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

That is the formula for a bowl.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The way I see in there are three groups. You never beat all the teams you think you will. You have to steal one from the top group.

Must will all 3
88% - UNI
84% - Kansas
83% - Akron

Must win 2
54% - Iowa
51% - WVU
47% - Texas Tech

Must win 1
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

This is a great way to look at it.

And maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time seeing Texas and Baylor as two of the three toughest opponents. But maybe Herman gets them turned around quicker than I think...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Excellent article. I don't get to say that too often when its about ISU football. This journalist put the time in. Only thing I noticed was no mention of Lanning at LB and Mike Johnson is gone correct?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Excellent article. I don't get to say that too often when its about ISU football. This journalist put the time in. Only thing I noticed was no mention of Lanning at LB and Mike Johnson is gone correct?
I could be wrong but I believe the Mike Johnson situation is fluid with what ends up happening in court.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Don't read this if you aren't ready for some serious preseason football analysis. If you are ready, don't miss it. Really substantial analysis and some reasons for hope.

This guy puts out excellent analysis every year. He actually does this analysis for every FBS team - Kansas and Tech have also been posted recently. I think the Big 12 is the first Power 5 conference he's done.

His blog (FootballStudyHall.com) in on my daily reading list. There are other contributors who are really good as well - Ian Boyd (a Baylor fan) does some great X and O write ups on the site.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Suspended doesn't mean kicked off the team.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Those percentages are ridiculous. Iowa will be 10x harder to beat than TTU. Tech can't run on us nor can they stop it. Iowa, while totally one dimensional, can do both.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Tech is garbage. They lost their only great player and their season will rely on a qb that wasn't good enough to hack it at Iowa. That's a win. Lanning is still running...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I have to admit I was surprised they had ISU listed as favored over iowa.

They're really going to miss Beat Hard & Desmond King this fall; especially early. Not only was Desmond a lock down defender, he could flip the field on special teams. CJ was fantastic until he lost his boyfriend & had no idea who to throw to. If we can somehow stuff the run and remember to cover VandeTurd- we have a good chance.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclONE Nation

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Those percentages are ridiculous. Iowa will be 10x harder to beat than TTU. Tech can't run on us nor can they stop it. Iowa, while totally one dimensional, can do both.

Iowa is at JTS while Tech is in Lubbock. If you read his Tech write up, they were much better at home than on the road last year. These percentages take home field into account. And anyway the difference between 54 and 47% isn't that great.

• Agree
Reactions: ICHawk24 and CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....Must win 1
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

Not surprised by the OU percentage, but I would have hoped we would be about 5% higher on the rest of this group. We can win one out the top five.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Must will all 3
88% - UNI
84% - Kansas
83% - Akron

Must win 2
54% - Iowa
51% - WVU
47% - Texas Tech

Must win 1
35% - OSU
35% - K St.
34% - TCU
32% - Baylor
30% - Texas
10% - Oklahoma

Completely agree, that's how I look at it too.

But personally, I think Texas in Ames has a much higher win % for ISU than @WV. MUCH higher. That was the one set of %s that didn't really makes sense to me.

• Agree
Reactions: surly